The Faceless Megathread ("Autotheism" available 08.14.12)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by The Dark Wolf, Apr 17, 2007.

1. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

[QUOTE="Velokki, post: 4818868, member: 50165"Give the album a second chance if you didn't like it after first impressions.[/QUOTE]

This. On my first two or three listens, I wasn't really sold on it, the same way that I really didn't gel with Autotheism. Now that I've spun it through more and more and listen to it for what it is, I actually really like it.

2. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

[QUOTE="Velokki, post: 4818868, member: 50165"Give the album a second chance if you didn't like it after first impressions.[/QUOTE]

This. On my first two or three listens, I wasn't really sold on it, the same way that I really didn't gel with Autotheism. Now that I've spun it through more and more and listen to it for what it is, I actually really like it.

3. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

I really feel like this album is a hellova lot more interesting than, "Authotheism".

The faceless never really had great production or tones imo, so really it doesn't affect me. Even though it sounds better than "Akeldama".

4. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I know this is all opinion, and everyone's is different...but...HELL NO. Production wise this does not sound better than Akeldama. This album sounds so sterile compared to Akeldama. For them, Akeldama had the most raw, death metalish, tone.

5. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

The main problem with Akeldama is that there were 4 different drummers, and the drum tones across all of them varied wildly. All of the songs are great, and soundwise I didn't have any problem with any particular song, but it was very noticeable from song to song. PD was much more streamlined and concise in it's delivery, tech-death aesthetic in spades.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    teqnick likes this.
  6. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

It may not be a good "The Faceless" album, but I find it to be a damn good progressive metal album. I've never been a huge fan so I didn't really have anything invested before I listened, maybe that helps me enjoy it for what it is and not what I wanted or expected it to be. Really digging Keene's clean vocals, and the album has some great dynamics throughout it, which makes it such an easy and enjoyable listen for me.

sezna likes this.
  7. teqnick

teqnick The only person that liked the new Faceless album

im certain that if a raw death metal tone was desired, it would have been achieved. How many pages ago was it said? If youre looking for Akeldama, there are other places to find that sound today.

8. GenghisCoyne

GenghisCoyne im here to party

Does not compute

Ordacleaphobia and BIG ND SWEATY like this.
  9. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

Not so much problem as continuity flaw. I love Akeldama, but even the first time I heard it back when it came out and I knew nothing of audio engineering it still was something that took me out of the experience of the album so much as to notice it.

10. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I don’t know what everybody else is saying but, after a week or two of compulsive repetition, I’ve come to ignore the flaws of this album. In that respect, it’s a success.

11. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Well, it was actually said on this page...a few posts above mine...

12. teqnick

not exactly, as the context of what i'm saying is implying that if you seek Akeldama-esque music today, that it's to be found elsewhere. Thank you though

Paul McAleer likes this.
  13. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

That wasn't the point of my post though...

Smoked Porter likes this.
  14. GenghisCoyne

GenghisCoyne im here to party

so you have Stockholm syndrome?

15. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

I know you're probably joking around. But if that's the case then every single band, album and song you listen to on rotation ever has made you a victim of Stockholm syndrome:shrug:

16. teqnick

Guys, guys, let's just let this thread die and go listen to Entheos

17. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I had to google it: “Stockholm” (n.) - Swedish for “Fanboys Doing Their Best to Cope with Heroin-Fueled Mediocrity.”

Jokes aside, though, I was only disappointed that more of the album didn’t meet the expectations “Digging the Grave” inspired in me.

vilk likes this.
  18. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

I personally think the new songs are pretty good overall. Digging the Grave and The Spiraling Void are probably in my top 5 faceless songs ever. I Am is pretty good imo but it just kind of ends all of a sudden.

The Shake the Disease cover, on the other hand, can suck a dick and get off the album. I skip it every time I get to it. Can't stand it whatsoever

19. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

All of you are wrong: The best songs are In Becoming a Ghost & Ghost Reprise

20. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

After the Summer Slaughter debacle, I figured maybe by now they'd gotten their shit together. Checked out some more recent live stuff and the verdict is nope, they haven't. Something's going on with Keene in all the live stuff, none of them look stoked, and even with backing tracks Keene's vocals are upsettingly weak.
    I really, really, really dig the new album. But I stand by my earlier statement that they should probably just quit with the live stuff. This is doing the music itself zero favors.