The EVH 5150 III Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Brody, May 23, 2013.

1. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

So here is the result. I decided against the modifications because her in Europe Fender will not sell/send me the needed parts. They stated that for the next 2 years these parts are for warranty only.

For people with a longer breath to deal with Fender here are the partnumbers of the LBXII Dual Concentric Potmeters and the dual knobs.

Volume - 7709932000 - 1M 30A DUAL D-SHAFT
    Gain - 7709931000 - 250k 30A DUAL D-SHAFT
    Inner White Knob - 7710822000
    Outer Black Knob - 7709933000

Those 1 Meg Dual Concentri Potmeters are very very hard to get.

For now I have solved the Green Blue Volume problem with a MIDI controlable ZOOM MS-50G in the Loop.

Maybe over 2 years will try it again.

2. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

Will the 50w el34 version also accept 6l6 tubes?

3. sevenfoxes

Also, I plan on putting a 5751 in v4 in my 50w. Is there a brand better than the next? JJ's seem the cheapest.

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've used JJ 5751's in a few spots and they do the job :yesway: I like them in V1 as well as V4

5. sevenfoxes

Thanks! What are some of the tonal differences between those 2 slots? I know that v1 affects all channels, and that v4 is just for channel 3, but does it just reduce the gain?

6. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

v1 will affect all gain stages/channels, v4 just the Red.

7. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

I just paired my 5153 50w with an EVH 2x12 and peavey 6505 subwoofer. Low end is not an issue anymore :lol:

8. TheWarAgainstTime

Compared to a regular 12ax7, the 5751 will keep about the same level of distortion happening, but the character will be a bit less hairy, more direct, and have a bit more mids. This allows you to push the gain on the amp a little higher for thickness, but retain more clarity and definition.

Swapping out V1 will have a more noticeable difference in sound over all the channels, including cleaner cleans, but swapping out V4 in addition to this is still a good idea to tame the red channel after the V2 and V3 gain stages.

So far my favorite combination of tubes is an EHX 12ax7 in V1 (similar mids and clarity to a 5751, but with a bit more gain) JJ's in V2/V3/V5/V6, JJ 5751 in V4, and a balanced Sovtek LPS for the phase inverter and Sovtek WXT+ 6l6 for the power section. The JJ 5751 is a close second place for the V1 spot, though

9. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

Maybe this will solve the Green/Blue volume problem
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNUCm1o1e7g

The folowing could maybe work for others but my pick-ups are to hot!
    The volume drop from channel 1 and channel 2 is easily fixed when you turn the gain knob at 1/2, it will become close in volume or good enough to be usuable, just found this out through different sources, and worked on my EVH 5150 iii 50w head, even if the gain is on 1/2, the clean channel sounds good.

10. sevenfoxes

Thanks for that info. Putting a 5751 in both v1 and v4 still leaves plenty of gain for channel 3? That's the channel I plan on using the most. I play a lot of deftones, so I just want to make sure I have enough distortion and saturation.

11. sevenfoxes

I wish that woofer didn't cost so much. How do you like it? Did the evh cab not offer enough low end?

12. TheWarAgainstTime

Don't worry, there's gain for days on tap for channel 3 :lol:

13. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

It will balance out the volume a bit but it will affect the tone. The only way to do it without affecting the tone is with concentric pots(or just additional pots).

14. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Hey guys, so I've had my 1x12 50 watt combo for about a year and a half now and a couple days ago a very noticeable hum is now present only when I'm on Ch. 3. The hum goes away when i switch to channel 1 or 2 OR when I use my volume pedal which is in the loop. However the hum doesn't go away when I roll the guitar volume off. So I'm assuming it's a preamp tube associated with Ch. 3 that's starting to go. Does that sound right?

I took the back off and checked all the tubes visually and did the pencil tap test but I didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary so I suppose I'd have to go about replacing them one by one to find the culprit right?

And side vent, boy is it a PITA to get to V1 and V2 in this thing! They don't make it easy and is there any reason for me to keep the silver shielding sleeves over the preamp tubes? Even the small remaining silver base parts are annoying for getting the tubes in and out.

Anyways, I thought about either replacing the one or maybe just replacing everything and keeping the originals as my backups. Asked my Sweetwater rep and he recommended JJ preamp tubes and Mesa Boogie power amp tubes. I should say that I'm really happy with the tone I'm getting currently as I use an EQ in the loop to tame the highs and it works well for me so I don't really need to change the charateristics of the amp. The Sweetwater options is fine but a little expensive as I found the JJs for less on Amazon and the JJ power amp tubes are less too on there. The Groove tubes by Fender are pretty pricey. Any thoughts on my best bet if I want to keep the characteristics I have now without changing too much?

15. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

Keeps sounding glorius!
    - EVH5153 50
    - 2x Leany IRT212 with V30
    - Zoom MS-50G in loop foot controlled via Kenton Midi USB
    - Phantom powered Danelectric Midi Footcontroller channel and patch switching
    Volume mismatch channel GRN /BLU solved

WP_20170526_14_28_12_Pro.jpg WP_20170526_14_28_31_Pro.jpg

16. TheWarAgainstTime

I recently tricked out my 50w head with a set of black knobs and refinished the rear grill in matte white. I dig it so far!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chopeth, Dineley and rexbinary like this.
  17. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

That looks so so good. Makes me want to do the same to my 100 watt damn.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  18. fremen

fremen SS.org Regular

I joined the club last year, but just discovered this thread…

I'm now using it in 4CM with a Line6 Helix

19. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Looks great!
    Where did you source the knobs? I picked a white 50 watt up this week and would also like to change the knobs to black.