The EVH 5150 III Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Brody, May 23, 2013.

1. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before but...

I just got my hands on the 5150III LBX. I plugged it in for the first time, and with the volume set to 0 I get my guitar coming through. It's not loud mind you, but odd. It's also accompanied by a low hum that is only affected by the resonance control. Turning up the volume doesn't make this hum any louder and this is with nothing plugged in.

Anyone else experienced this?

2. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

If it's not affected by the volume control but it is affected by the resonance control, it's clearly noise induced in the power section of the amp. Probably expected, given how much amp is packed into that small space. The guitar coming through just means the pre-amp is still passing a bit of signal at 0.

3. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Hi guys, I need advice. I use my 5153 50 watt head with a RP1000 to add a noise gate and some effects disconecting the pedalboard cabs and amps. I'm pretty happy with the setup but still I can only use two channels, which I don't have a problem with since I play brutal stuff with the red one most of the time and some clean parts with the green here and there.

Some still say that I'm missing the best of it, the blue channel. I wonder whether a midi unit like the POD HD 500 instead of my RP1000 would make it possible to use the three channels flawlessly or there's any problem with switching channels. I mean, does it totally fix the volume jump issue? It's an expensive pedalboard and if it's not going to mean a huge advantage over my lovely RP1000 I won't take the chance.

Thanks in advance
    Cheers!

4. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I solved my former issue.

Now... I bought a few buttons in red and black to change for the white 50w head ones, but found out there's a metal circle inside of them which won't let the original screw tight the pot. I've seen it here a few times in several mods... how did you do it?

5. Garfish

Garfish SS.org Regular

Im not sure if its ok to ask here, but here goes.

Im inches away from ordering a 5150 iii 50watt. I can't really play it in person, but everything I've heard and read about it make it seem like it's what I am looking for. I do have some questions however, and I guess they have been covered before.

1: Is there anything I should do when I get it? E.g Tube change, bias adjustments or anything a tech would do?

2: People talk about volume jump between channel 1 and 2. Could I just use my Electro Harmonix LPB-1 Power Booster to make up for the difference?

I am sorry for bringing up such noob questions.

6. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

Super excited guys! I'm about to join the club with a new 5150iii 50w in black. It's being shipped straight to kruse kontrol amplification for the volume jump fix with concentric volume and gain controls for blue and green channels. When he is ready to begin work on my amp I am also considering getting his B-2 Stealth mod, to voice it like the 5150 stealth! I will report back when I've received it and gotten a new speaker cabinet. I'm recovering from being downsized to the line 6 pod + monitors/headphones for apartment use and am stoked to be moving air again soon. :hbang::hbang::hbang:

7. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

Quoting myself again for convenience: I am shopping for a 2x12 cabinet to pair with my new EVH 50w. Strong contenders are of course the matching EVH, the horizontal Mesa Recto, and the Orange PPC, but I am also intrigued by the H&K Tubemeister cab. I have no complaints with the EVH cab, but i wonder how well some other options might complement :)

8. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King Contributor

I think you are going to need to decide what type of speakers you like. Mesa V30s, EVH Greenbacks, etc. Once you know what speakers best suits the tone you are after, picking a cab will me much easier.

9. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

I had a much beloved Marshall 1960BV (300 watt version) for nearly two decades. Best sounding cab I ever had, but in terms of the 5153 (my favorite head), there is no better match I've found than the EVH cab. I currently have the 50 watt head with 2x12". If I needed to step it up a notch, I'd gladly buy another 2x12" or the 4x12" version.

10. aqa

aqa SS.org Regular

Try to found a darker cab, the orange could be a good match

11. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

Played around with the bias last night. This amp really loves to be set to "stock" around 30mA, making the gain channels smoother with a better treble response. I had it at 35mA for a while and was starting to find it was sounding a bit harsh. Also swapped out the 5 year old stock V9 tube for a new EHX I picked up on clearance.

Amp sounds much more warm and smoother in the gain stages now!

12. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

13. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Red is faster, orange is more gain ? :D

14. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Sort of ;)

15. Gravy Train

Gravy Train Night Fiddler

Count me in boys. This thing :poop:'s all over the Kemper power head I used to have (in my humble opinion of course). I am absolutely in love.

16. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

A question for those who own a lunchbox... Can you use the 50 watter footswitch with the lbx?

17. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Didn't know this thread existed... Can I hang with you guys?

[​IMG]

18. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

May I join the club? :D Been playing with this babe for a year and a half now. Still loving it!

[​IMG]

19. aprilia4life

aprilia4life SS.org Regular

With pics like that? Hell yeah! That should be a advertisement for EVH. :hbang:

20. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

good question, let's hope for an answer :p