The Eight String Pickup Guide

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Konfyouzd, Mar 28, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

2. KnightBrolaire

3. Tachy

Tachy SS.org Regular

I have a schecter 8 string with the emg 808, it s not my fave from emg, but it does not suck at all imo.
    The 808 is the most common pick up you ll find in a 8 string, and for shure is affected by the quality of construction and woods of the guitar itself.
    Ther s a lot of crappy guitars that have the 808 in it.

4. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

So instead of spending the next week listening to samples of people playing through digital setups, I have to ask for a recommendation based on my setup.

I have an Orange Thunderverb 200 watt head, and the 8 string I'm nearly finished building is a 29.432" scale with a basswood body/maple top, a wenge neck w/maple laminated, and an ebony fb.

I know there'll be at least a couple people that want to argue about wood vs pickups but I'm not interested in that, please don't get into that discussion. I just want a recommendation for a few pickups to look at for this build. I like Gibsons standard pickups for the most part, so I'm thinking lower output and probably not ceramic magnets would be my main requirements.

5. KnightBrolaire

black dog. it's an alnico v mag and only runs around 9.5kohm. Plus it sounds awesome and is pretty versatile/clear sounding.

MerlinTKD and jwade like this.
  6. skeeballcore

skeeballcore SS.org Regular

7. KnightBrolaire

Yeah there really wasn't any good resources out there for 8 stringers other than simon sludge's clips (which showcase the metal side well). I wanted to show off more aspects of the pickups. Lundgrens are great for metal, especially if you want a tight low end. Just not the best clarity or versatility imo

8. skeeballcore

skeeballcore SS.org Regular

I’ve got an Rg2228 and it’s strictly for metal so versatility isn’t my aim. Now I just need to find an M8 for cheap