The Eight String Pickup Guide

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Konfyouzd, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

For the sake of keeping this thread useful and readable, could we please not post unless directly responding to another user's question or until we're actually ready to give a review?

The "I will be using _____ pickup in x days" is reminiscent of a premature NGD.

2. Velixo

Velixo SS.org Regular

Do any of you guys have experience of the EMG 808x AND some other passive pickup? I've only seen people who love passives recommending different passives and people who love actives recommending different actives. I've never seen someone having tried both actives AND passives, and discussing the difference between the two. :scratch:

3. Velixo

Velixo SS.org Regular

Anyone? Pleeeeaaase? :wavey:

4. geofreesun

geofreesun SS.org Regular

i have guitars with blackouts, emg 808, bkp coldsweat, stock cepheus, and dimarzio 8s. my take: it really depends on the guitar and strings you use. in the first 2 agile 828 i tried, the bkp didn't sound that impressive. then i put it in an ash bodied 827, it suddenly sounded so much beyond awesome, and i am pretty sure i will leave it in there for quite some time. why the change? i think it's a combination of wood/build and the strings. the strings on the 827 are kinda floppy/thin and i really like that sound better. thinner strings=djents right? in general, i really like passives, and i want to say that the stock cepheus are really great pickups, very much lundgren-like. i have put a m7 in the agile 827 before (ignoring the top string), and granted, the m7 sounds tight as hell, the cepheus gives a very similar feel, but the coldsweat is just way different.

5. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

I own an Agile Septor Elite 827 with blackout pickups. The guitar is a 5 piece neck through (Maple and ebony strips) with an ebony fretboard and Mahogany wings. My amp is a blackstar Ht-5 combo. String guages: .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046, .062, .080. I play mostly progressive metal, and yes I do on occasion "djent" lol.

The blackouts sound great. I was really shocked actually since, through my own personal experiences, I find active pickups to be overly compressed, stale and lacking the personality of the wood being used. (I repeat this is just IMHO).

For the cleans (I add a Boss RV-3 Reverb/delay into the mix): the pickups have a nice glassy clean which is crystal clear for large chords and articulation. The bridge pickup is great for AAL like cleans, and the neck pickup is super smooth and warm sounding. Its great for jazz runs.

When distorted: (I use a Maxon 808 tubescreamer, a Boss GE-7 EQ and a ISP Decimator). These baby's sing. Endless sustain. I love how I can roll down the gain and get a clean tone (with the Maxon off of course). I tend to use large chords and there is zero mud, the notes really shine through. The clarity could be a tad bit better when I tune to low E, but that prolly just because of the 27" scale.
    The bridge pickup has great attack and clarity when playing both rhythms and leads. I dont really like the sound of playing heavy rhythms with the neck because is can sound alittle too bassy, but the leads sound like Scale the summit (Or I'd like to think so haha).

These pickups are top notch as far as active pickups go but compared to other pickups (non boutique) I'd give them a 8.5-9/10

6. col

col blah.

7. ugly_guitar_guy

ugly_guitar_guy True Djentleman

8. WIDASK

WIDASK SS.org Regular

Soo here's my piece of cake: ive got a RAN Crusher 8 since two or three months now which is equipped with a pair of seymour duncan blackouts.

The specs of the guitar are: Mahagoni body and neck (bolt on), fixed hipshot bridge, 2 volume controls and a three-way toggle switch. I've got an orange tiny terror and a carvin legacy which i play through an orange 2x12 box.

I mainly play prog metal and some jazz.

Now to the pickups: they really have some high output!! probably the most i've ever played. This is not too bad if you want to play metal through a tiny terror but on an engl or something like that you have to pull the gain back at 10 o'clock or something like that to get it reasonably tight. Also i think actives tend to sound the same alot while good actives pronounce the specs of the guitar much better. Because of this i'll probably get some bareknuckles soon, perhaps an aftermath for the bridge and a miracle man for the neck.

9. jrose92081

jrose92081 SS.org Regular

Guitar: schecter damien elite 8. Mahogany body, maple neck. 26.5 scale.
    Pickups: dimarzio d-activator 8's neck and bridge set, 500k volume and tone, (104m resistor?)
    Strings: daddario 120-7 with ernie ball 74 for f#
    Amplifier: Peavey Vyper 75 1x12.
    I use only some of the effects on the amp, no pedals. Will be purchasing the pedal that goes with the vyper series amps. Also purchasing a good noise gate soon. These are great for tight response with the lower strings. I currently tune to standard but also write in
    E
    A
    E
    A
    D
    G
    B
    E
    This gives you a lower octave for standard E in a way and also gives you drop A.
    I play anything from jazz to metal. The guitar/pickup setup is amazing in my opinion. the low strings are clear even with tons of gain. Anyone thinking of buying either the guitar or pickups or both will not be dissapointed. It will take some setting up for the guitar to play with very low action. First I got my neck almost completely straight then lowered my saddles and brought them up little by little until all buzzing was obsolete.

10. jrose92081

jrose92081 SS.org Regular

Hello
    my schecter damien elite 8 came stock with the 808s but I immediatly ordered the dactivator 8's. If you want excellent tone and want a passive p/u..dimarzio or bkp are the best choice..if u use passive but want to add a preamp..semour duncan makes a preamp modular that is a volume knob/ pre in one..lundren m8's are prob best if money is no concern..they are pricy...hope this helps..

11. Brandon

Brandon Azlgaf

Stock Carvin DC800 Actives

-Guitar used:
    Carvin DC800. Swamp ash body, maple neck/fretboard, neck through/string through.

-Amp used:
    So far just my GTR plugin in Logic.

-Any effects/other gear used: I'll write more to this when I play it over my Carvin MTS3200 Half stack.

-Your preferred style(s) of music: Mainly progressive metal, although I do play in a more guitar-driven pop oriented setting with my band.

I really didn't know what to expect when I received this guitar. I normally do not like actives, I find them dull and lifeless. These however surprised me. The bright and snappy character of the wood comes through these pickups really well, and there's a lot of headroom. The neck pickup cleans up nicely when I back off of my picking attack. I can tell as well that the actives compress the bottom end a bit, the lower notes hit pretty hard. Also, I don't think this is incredibly important, but the neck pickup seems to have significantly less output than the bridge. I think that may lend to the dynamic room of the pickup though.

My favorite part is how defined each note is, especially when playing dense chords. It really is remarkable.

The only con I can think of is that the pickups don't seem to clean up as nicely as passives do when the volume is backed down.

When I play through my real amp, I'll give some more details.

Edit: here's a clip I made the day I got it. Hopefully this gives you some sort of an idea as to how my guitar sounds.

http://soundcloud.com/expressivemusicality/dc800-clip

12. AEP531

AEP531 SS.org Regular

If anyone here is interested in the SD Blackout 8 Set, I'm selling a set.
    They've seen under three hours of use in a non smoking climate controlled studio environment. I've also included all necessary electronics for installation.
    I'm looking for $100 and any US buyers will get free shipping!
    Let me know.
    Thanks!

13. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Wrong thread...

14. Moolaka

Moolaka SS.org Regular

Guitar: Agile Pendulum Pro Dual seven string multiscale. 3 maple + 2 rosewood piece neck through, ebony fretboard, mahogany wings, ash top, satin finish, .10 D'Addario's.
    Pickups: stock Cepheus active set.
    Style: Grind, Progressive, Thrash, Melodic/Gothenburg, Jazzy (not real jazz), Ambient, Death, Funk, Rock.

The Cepheus actives in this seven string guitar sound very boring compared to my other 707 set in my LTD MH417. They don't bite (flacid response) or punch (drab but not flubby low end) like EMG's, probably because they're eight's in a seven but I just don't have the experience to say for sure. I don't like them, they are just so BORING to my ears...not "bad" just so much that's not there. Chords and leads sound decent, it's doing them better than chugging. Tapping sounds dull (Operator error perhaps, I'm trying so hard to get used to them even after about three months) and linear, it's really hard to get subtle touches to breathe within tapping runs and accents don't stand out much either. Chords are probably it's strongest point. I like a lot of pop/punch and sensitivity for my playing and these things leave me out in the cold. They don't sound offensive per-say and they're decently quiet for actives. I'd give them a 5/10 oriented as they are in a seven multiscale compared to my std scale 707 set. I plan on replacing them with EMG 808x's but am unaware if you can go an 18v mod on the x's, if not then standard with 18v mod. I'm really open to suggestions as I'm largely unfamiliar with how eight string pick ups stand up in a seven multiscale. I hate djenty twang tone as well, seems like a lot of agressive passives are tailored to favor that sound, but again, I really haven't experimented much.

For what it's worth I had a Jackson SLSMG with EMG ZW set and 18v mod that sounded amazing to me (I LOVE that set for six metal), and an LTD EC400 with Duncan JB's that made the most beautiful sounds for everything else.

15. Oneironaut

Oneironaut SS.org Regular

So I recorded some sample clips of my new pickups before and after installing them a while ago and I just got around to uploading them. They are a direct comparison of EMG 808 to EMG 808x and EMG 808x to Blackouts. When I say direct comparison I mean same guitar, same amp, same amp settings and same recording method.

They were recorded with a Schecter Damien Elite 8 into a 6505+ and recorded with a shure sm57 into a M-audio Profire 610.

I hope this can help someone. :hbang:

808x vs BO 808x vs Blackout in bridge position by Organized Garbage on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

808 vs 808x 808 vs 808x in bridge position by Organized Garbage on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  16. ma5h

ma5h 8 string marsupial

I see everyone is really into actives. I was never an active person so I ve had both D-activator 8s and currently have a PAF 8 in my RGA8. Heres a sample of its clean sound. Tone is a personal matter but as far as clarity and articulation goes, the PAF 8 really does it for me.

17. ViolaceousVerdance

ViolaceousVerdance SS.org Regular

I have an Ibanez Rg2228 w/ basswood body and maple bolt-on neck through a Blackstar Ht40. It came with 808x's in already, and I was very surprised by how awesome they sounded. Without a whole lot of effort, I was nailing overdriven rhythm tones that were lush and tame-able. Distorted low string power chords sounded broad and menacing, like a blanket of rage on a crying demon baby. The balance between lows, mids, and highs were subtle and responsive to how you dialed them in. Cleans were just fine, but basswood cleans have never been something I wanted to write home about.

I never realized how much I liked the 808x's until I replaced them with BKP aftermath's. Disclaimer: I'm positive I'm doing something wrong because the tones Misha gets with them melt faces from miles away. That being said, I'm not totally thrilled with them. When the strings were fresh and I dialed in my amp *just right*, the djent sound I was getting from power chords was truly a thing of beauty. It was less like picking a string and more like triggering a punch from a young Mike Tyson into your ear's face. The lead tones I got were decent, but something sounded hollow about them. Through the Fender Princeton in my guitar teacher's studio, there was no setting I could dial to make it sound good. The AM's are not the most versatile pickups, but that shouldn't come as a surprise considering their purpose is to be gatling guns of doom. A lot of the recording I did with these was through a POD HD500, so the jury is out on treble response, but I feel these pickups are a bear to mix with.

18. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

I had the stock 808s in a Damien Elite 8 (mahogany body, bolt-on maple neck, rosewood board). I thought the low end sounded a bit plasticky - a bit flat and harsh, but definitely not really bad. If I had them in a guitar now, I'd swap them out if I could, but I could live with them if I had to, too :yesway: Aside from that, they sounded pretty even and weren't too high output, and I thought the cleans were nice and punchy; the actives definitely suit the extended range.

I also had a BKP Warpig (I think ceramic) in an Agile Intrepid Pro 828 (maple/walnut neck-thru with mahogany wings). It was super neutral - not too much low end, slightly more present mids, and smooth highs. It sounded awesome for distortion, again really neutral but with a slightly djenty edge. It even sounded great for cleans - punchy and juicy, especially for a bridge pickup. If I had to complain about something, I'd say it was a little too growly for me (maybe it's got more low mids?) but still definitely something I could live with. I didn't have the guitar with the stock Cepheus bridge pickup before to compare, but the neck Cepheus was just alright.

I play mostly metal, and some general clean stuff, and it was through a Lynchbox at the time I had these guitars.

19. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

I've played the Blackout 8s in a Schecter ATX-C8, can't remember what amp it was into I think it was a Mesa combo of some kind. It sounded tight and brighter, more so than my RG2228 with 808s. However, the tone didn't blow me away. Lacked character.

20. Iron Beard

Iron Beard SS.org Regular

has anyone tried the lace 8 string pickups? im really wantting to hear some reviews on them.