The dont's of live performance

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by 7 Dying Trees, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Jongpil Yun

Jongpil Yun Contributor

Whoa, do people wear kilts often over there? Jumping in a kilt is a no-no, unless you're a hot girl :)

2. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

girls don't wear kilts, they are just for guys :lol:

3. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

The mark of a bad "MC" is never knowing when to shut up. I've seen too many bands that feel they have to tell the audience where their last gig was, where their next gig is going to be, when it's going to be, what the names of their band members are, what their website is, what the next song is called (I actually felt like laughing when one band's singer said, "I wrote this song at a time in my life when I was really depressed" and continued to ramble on about WHY they wrote the song and what the song means to them), and so on. WE DON'T GIVE A FUCK!! Maybe if you were unbelievably famous, there might be people who hung onto your ever word, but it's not so!

And do not thank anybody when on stage. Do it afterwards in person when you're not on the mic. "I'd like to give a shout out to The Red Chorus Line for inviting us here!"

Another annoyance is bassplayers who turn their volume up all the way and won't listen to the sound guy when they are told to turn it down. "Uh... could you please turn your volume down?" "But then no one will be able to hear me" "I can assure you that that WON'T be a problem." *turns it down a little, but it's still WAY too loud* "That's better, but still way too loud. It's easier to mix the band when the volumes are quieter than when they're louder." Or the singers who just keep wanting to turn themselves up higher and higher and higher.

NEVER EVER insult your audience. One of the things mentioned that I completely agree with is people who get mad at the audience for not getting into it. If they aren't responding, then don't call them the worst audience you've ever seen. You have to try to earn that from them and insulting just guarantees that you won't get it.

Then there are, of course, the black metal and death metal bands that think they are too grim or brutal to do anything interesting and they all just stand there the whole time, doing the exact same thing through the entire set. "You know? You could at least try to move..."

4. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

only to special occasions like weddings etc they are warm as fuck so theres no way id get on stage in one it would be disgustingly sweaty :ugh:

5. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Having the venue's molten hot stage lights aimed directly at my gear, thus frying my Boss NS-2 pedal halfway during our opening song, forcing me to scramble to plug directly into the amp as I had no sound.

The above is caught on video and will be uploaded soon. Fucking hilarious shit.

Also related to the aforementioned gig, if you're going to wear a mask for a Halloween show, make sure to actually practice on it beforehand, so you don't get on stage and then realize you can't breathe or see :lol:

6. Universalis

Universalis Defying gravity.

Fully agree. My singer is used to fall down the stage almost every gig because of his furious moving attitude. From my side, is simply hilarious. But the audience seems to enjoy it (well, they laugh too sometimes :D):lol:

7. DelfinoPie

DelfinoPie Whoopsie Daisy! Contributor

:rofl: Nice one.

One thats already been mentioned that I fully agree with...and with an extra sort of spin on it:

If you're the first band on at the start of the night and there is literally a group of 3 friends standing watching you, don't get off the stage with your wireless signally shit and run around the bar where other people are sitting enjoying a conversation while you haphazardly bump into their tables spilling their drinks. Similarly, don't argue with the venues bouncers when they ask you to stop climbing on the furniture...if you fall and your face has an intimate introduction to the floor in which you lose some teeth, £50 says you're not the one picking them up again and mopping up the blood.

On the same note, don't damage the venue just because you want to be the maddest, craziest mutherfuckers out there...word will get around and not only will you not get a gig there but you won't get a gig anywhere in the vicinity of that venue.

Have fun, put on a good show...but do it with some constraint at the same time.:yesway:

8. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Depends if you're wearing anything under the kilt...

Now headbanging is fine. I used to take about 3-4 days of stiff neck at the beginning of a tour, and after that it'd be fine. If you can't feel your neck then you've not gone nuts enough :D

Lots of headbanging, stage movement etc is a definatew DO. Holding back because you may have stiff muscles is a definate don't (or very, uhhh, :gay:)
    Or the singer. Especially if he's reaaaaly short

That is what pick scrapes and whammy badr dives where invented for!

It's been quite interesting, as I think everyone has different pet hates, although there are common ones :)

Ah, it's more just the get on with it. If you know you are on, then you should be able to play the set without hearing yourself weird as it sounds. Well, that's my philosophy anyway, as on larger stages sometimes you end up so far from your rig that you can't hear it at all, so you're just hoping it's all still maiing noise
    Yeah, i sometimes really do want to know. Although i prefer it VASTLY if the name of the song is incorporated into the start, or delivered well. Going: "this next song is called "putrificator of satan's northern realm" and we hope you like it, here we go...." while staring at your shoes or delivered like a scared rabbit in the headlights is not going to make me want to hear it.
    I think this mainly applies to grim-uber-tr00-kvlt-t00-metal-f0r-any0n3's eyes bands
    :lol: I am going to have to use that :lol:

zimbloth likes this.
  9. zimbloth

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NORTHERN IMPALED MOON FOREST!!! HAIL THE NECROWIZARD!

10. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Well, I posted that after watching a video of Fozzy where Chris Jericho was talking about what he wants to do to terrorists.Or, f.ex, on the BLS disc where they're doing the same thing. It was some corny fucking shit. THough, it was hilarious when zakk said "FUCK IRAQ!" right in the middle of Berzerkers (I think it was that one) :lol:

I like song intros too.

Yevetz- Headbanging is the best. If your ears don't ring and your neck isnt jelly after the show,the concert sucked ;p

11. yevetz

yevetz I am a COCK!!!!!!!!! Contributor

No. Mens don't wear kilts ever here. Just my friend was in scotland and get one there. And I borrow it from him for my show................ So...........Dudes just in case if you will do the same . Don't jump very high :noplease:

:D Dude, read my post carefuly, I don't said don't bang, I said don't bang too much. ;) :wavey:

12. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I'm saying you cant do it too much :p

13. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

You borrowed another mans kilt? You know you can be hung for that in Scotland? At the very least you should probably get a tetanus shot.

Stitch likes this.
  14. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

We don't do member introductions, but Nick does give the song titles (and pimp merch) between songs. Then again, you can understand him speak, and he doesn't growl the titles (which has to be THE dumbest thing ever.)

15. Stitch

Stitch Banned

:rofl:

Fuck you, Lozek. :lol:

16. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

Calm it down, I've heard about your kind from my days in the services :fawk:

Blexican likes this.
  17. Regor

Regor Double Edge FTW Contributor

If I can't hear myself on stage, then I'm going to have a not so great gig for sure. I always have my best performances when I can hear myself clearly anywhere on stage (which is when I have my poweramp on 12:00, and the G-Force output at +10db... Most sound guys make me turn it down to about +5 or 0).

18. zimbloth

+5? On my G-Force, the highest it can go is 0dB. Do you just mean the output knob on the unit itself? I have that maxed out, and the input set fairly low (if i put it above 9'oclock the signal overloads)

More like the funniest thing ever :lol: Corpsegrinder is the absolute king of that.

"This next song goes out to you ladies out there.... [growl] FUCKED!!! WITH A KNIFE!!!!!!..."

308sc likes this.
  19. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

True, it's nicer to hear what you're playing, but I know i've been in situations where the sound was crap with no way of really changing it (festivals are a huge culprit for this, sounds is always terrible!)

20. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

I'd take it one step further, if you have to rotate your torso to look sideways, then you know it was a good show!