The dont's of live performance

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by 7 Dying Trees, Nov 9, 2007.

1. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

well yes, it is courteous. but guess I suck. rack doesn't roll anywhere until after everything's accounted for, secured and closed. though, the only cables I've had to worry about are the two speaker cables (6ft each) and the pedal-snake (34ft). it helps if your gear is designed with this in mind in the first place, though. average setup time was <1:30, while teardown was ~0:45.

the drummer and I rehearsed and timed setting up each other's gear, which helped out tremendously. if I were busy loading, he could set up my rig as each piece made it on stage and vice versa. our stage load in/out times improved dramatically after going rack-mount (drums and guitar). I would have invested heavily in stage-ninja's products, had I known about them back then. :2c:

^:lol: this. plus I think sharing the experience with the audience can sometimes enhance a show.

2. marshallH

marshallH Wears Guitar Too Low

Other guitarist starting before I was plugged in when we were doing a HARMONIZING arpeggio lick. :lol:

HARMONIZING

:scratch:

Also accidentally falling off stage and breaking your first guitar, not good.

3. marshallH

marshallH Wears Guitar Too Low

I learned on a 68 les paul custom :shrug:

Then my dad bought me a squier.

4. maximumoverdrive

maximumoverdrive SS.org Regular

I agree with 'keep your shirt on', though there are some exceptions to the rule:
    (friend's uncle's band)

5. TylerEstes

TylerEstes Sheeeeeeeit

Don't use your dick as a drumstick for your electronic drum set.

Don't use a dildo as a drumstick for your electronic drum set.

Don't drag a stand-in 400 miles just to say "ya know what, nevermind" 5 minutes before your set.

Don't ever say "add us/like our page on Facebook/MySpace/YouTube." Especially 3 times between every song. In fact, don't even say it once. It's pathetic. People know that almost every band has a page and if they like your band then they'll "like" your page. If your band was worth listening to then you'd have more than 3 fans and you wouldn't feel the need to whine until people clicked on your shit :rolleyes: Getting likes on Facebook page won't make you a better guitarist.

Don't play music for attention.

Don't attention-whore. I'm here to see music, not a whiny bitch have mommy and daddy issues. Shut up and put your equipment away.

Sadly, I saw all this at the same show. Which was in a basement. I was the stand-in that was hauled 400 miles for no reason :lol::lol:

6. Matx

Matx Ninja

Don't throw things into the crowd. Nobody wants to get hit with something that's been in your mouth.

7. MemphisHawk

MemphisHawk Japan's One And Only

Don't tell all the girls to kick guys in the nuts and gouge their eyes out if they touch your boobies while you crowdsurf. Rage Against the Machine did that back on the Battle of Los Angeles tour. Never ever tell people it's okay to start inflicting bodily harm on each other, it will end badly.

In the same vein, although I enjoy watching the idiots do it in youtube videos, don't encourage "walls of death". Someone always goes to the hospital and it's retarded to force people who would rather not be involved to endure it just because they happen to be where everyone converges. I know that's not very 'metal' to say, but I just leave if people start doing that shit. I got hurt at a Cannibal Corpse show in 1998 and my back is still ....ed up from it.

8. ZASVTO

ZASVTO SS.org Regular

Don't leave after your set. Meet the other bands, hang out and catch their sets. no one likes the openers that play and then immediately head out.

9. decrepittom

decrepittom SS.org Regular

Agreed. Networking plays a big role in this line of work. Most younger bands don't understand that. Also, it's good for the scene to hang around and be present

10. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

While true, i'm not gonna stay 'till late if i've gotta get up early the day afterwards, as is often the case.

11. patata

patata 7 heaven

Don't play a solo you can't NAIL when rehearsing.
    We actually can hear the notes you think we don't.

Don't headbang if you can't play clean while doing so.

12. Toxic Dover

Toxic Dover SS.org Regular

Holy crap dude :lol:

13. patata

patata 7 heaven

^ that's a lot of vomit.

14. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Don't repeatedly raise your arm if you were a tank top and have a jungle instead of an arm pit.

Won't say who did it, but will post his guitar
    [​IMG]

15. RGM8

RGM8 Djent Accessories

Pet hate:

Don't try and be inspirational (a la Northlane) in the middle of a set "we are all like one tree, we have to care for the environment because that is reality not illuminati"- is annoying as hell.

16. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

Most of the good tips have been shared already, so I'll just tell a couple stories.

The biggest problem that my band has (in which I play drums) is our bass player. He doesn't move much. The rest of us can get pretty energetic, but he's a little more stationary.

One of the bands that went on before us (we were headlining) played REALLY well. You could tell that they were really well rehearsed and knew what they were doing.
    However, every single member of the band just stood there, save for the singer, who probably put a little TOO much energy into everything he was doing.
    It was just sort of awkward to watch.

Also, don't throw together your set in two days. (different band, same concert) Imean, come on man. The show had been planned for almost two months, and they threw together their set in two days. You could tell.

17. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

body shaming is laaaaame. should he have shaved for you? maybe put on a little cologne and combed his hair? he was there to play guitar for you, not be part of the meat market. if it upsets you so much, avert your sensitive virgin eyeballs. this ain't america's next top model.

18. Tzar27

Tzar27 SS.org Regular

More to do with preparation, but... Don't go to a gig if your drummer isn't with you and played a show with his other band in another city a few hours prior to your show. He's probably not showing up.

Happened to my friends' band while I was hanging with them. If it had been one of the guitarists missing, I could've easily filled in for 'em, but the only other person in the band that could play drums *at all* was the singer, and he was pitiful and knew it. Not to mention we didn't even have another set to use.

Probably the funniest part about the story is that the lead guitarist was goofing around with a Line 6 POD at one of the guys' houses while we made dinner before the show, and he was like, "there, that was the show everyone!" :lol:

19. Anchang-Style

Anchang-Style SS.org Regular

- Don't snap at the audience

I can imagine it is frustrating to not even pull a medium sized crowd but snapping at the audience will work in the total opposit direction.
    Was in a small tokyo punk club north of shinjuku (no clue where exactly) for one of those 5 bands one evening deals. 2000 Yen entry, 300 Yen per drink (which is a pretty fair price for Tokyo levels, also had chugged a couple highballs before). And there was just me and some other young japanese guy who talked to me for a bit, other bands who will play later the same eve and the girlfriends of the band members. The second band was a band playing some screamo hardcore punk with a visual kei attitude. While the guitar player seemed rather relaxed and shredded his solos like a boss, the singer (looking like manson in a kabuki production) was visible pissed about the low outcome of audience and after 3 songs stormed offstage leaving his band mates utterly embaressed. I went over just said hi to the guitar dude and told him he was really great. Guess it sucks that no one shows up for your band but listening to them, i kinda get it.

20. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

IDGAF about this one. As a combat veteran with herniated disk in my spine....I hit times where it's either "continue the show sitting" or "too much fvcking pain to keep playing." If the latter, treating it goes into the "getting wasted" category. 99% of the time I just suck it up and keep going through the tears of pain. Dat 1% tho...screw everything but comfort lol