The dont's of live performance

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by 7 Dying Trees, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

Yep, totally. And people who refuse to accept the reality of their situation. ie

'I wanna see a circle pit, NOW'
    'Er dude, there's three people in here, and one of them is on crutches'

or

'Thank you London, you've been amazing'
    *old man & sole audience member sitting at the bar coughs & shuffles uncomfortably*

Bungle and harkonnen8 like this.
  2. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

Don't take half of your allotted set time to set your gear up and goof off only to play over your time and into most of the next band's set. Bands do that to us and each other all the time here. We have been forced to play two-song sets before because of it.

If you are a vocalist, don't mumble when you talk, insult the crowd for no reason, pick fights with people, argue with the owner of the venue when they tell you to stop writing random crap on the dry erase board, get drunk before a set, do other stuff to mess up your voice before a show, be irresponsible in ways that make it so you're sick at 2 or 3 out of 5 shows, waste all kinds of time trying to get two mics set up for yourself and trying to fix your piece of crap effects processor while the rest of the band is already set up and waiting for you, later during that same set apologize/complain about the rest of the band taking so long to set up when you're the one everyone was waiting for, dip your head in house paint and call it a Halloween costume, constantly hit your head on the guitar headstocks because you're not paying attention... That's stuff from our last two vocalists, and that's just the on stage stuff, or at least what I can remember of it off hand.

CrushingAnvil likes this.
  3. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

don't try to be "all that." if you are, i'll see it from where i'm standing.

4. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

Do not under any circumstances tell me how great you are. I'll make my own decision thanks.

Do not copy other bands stage moves unless are a tribute band. Under all other circumstances it looks lame.

Do not try and be all "meaningful". I hate it when bands play their one big epic ballad and the singer feels obligated to tell me that everyone wants to be loved or feels lonely or whatever. If your music is based on a message then I will pick up on it. No need to go all Dr. Phil on my ass.

5. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

Control your fucking stage volume!:scream:

You are not playing in Wembley. The club holds 23 people including that hot chick behind the bar, your band and the clubowner/scumbag. No need for you to crank up to get your "tone". Learn to generate your tone at a volume commensurate with your current situation and surroundings.

6. Leon

when i saw King's X, at one point in the night, Doug said that we were all beautiful. i felt dirty :lol:

7. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I've been there. I'm practically the stage manager at Jaxx when we play there because I *will not* let this happen to us. Somebody's got to teach the kids how it works...

8. Leon

stage volume is a biggie. it's also nice to be able to hear your bass player from the other side of the stage when he yells, "HEY LEON, WHAT KEY IS THIS IN AGAIN?"

9. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I'm tempted to sticky this post. :lol:

10. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Smiling like a madman the whole time. :lol:

For reference, see the bald guy in Dimmu.

11. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    It's making for an entertaining read :D

12. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

Dude. :agreed:

I saw a band a few weeks back where the singer says some dumb bullshit to the crowd like, "You guys fucking suck. You're the weakest crowd we've ever had. Whatever."

I got right up and fucking left.

NEVER insult the crowd, fucking douchebag. Maybe if your band didn't suck balls, we might get into you.

13. Leon

^ :agreed:

if they don't feel like being the "entertainers" instead of "the entertained" then they ought to get the fuck back in their garage.

14. Groff

Groff Medicine Chief/RHLC© Contributor

I like it more when people are paying attention, personally.

We don't play music for people to mosh to, we make music for people to listen to.

It's called music, we like to make it musical.

15. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

Don't complain about monitors, stage sound or that your set is being ruined by not being able to hear stuff properly. Monitors are always shit. They always sound rubbish and then more you rely on them the more lost you'lll get when they really screw up. So don't complain about them when setting up, just get on with the job, don't whinge, use what you're given and just play.

16. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

Also, don't show up to the gig, ask to use someone elses gear, change their settings and then complain it sounds shit.

17. Stitch

Stitch Banned

Ever. :squint:

Also, don't turn up 40 minutes late for your soundcheck, pull all of my effect out the way, take my rack off my head, look at my 7 string and go "pftah, a Korn covers band" then wonder why I am not helping you set levels at the desk. :)

18. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

Yup, unless you're the singer and need melodic reference, as long as you're in tune then all you need to hear is the drummer. If you can't play your stuff without hearing it in full technicolour dobly, then you probably don't know it well enough to be playing it live.

Samarus likes this.
  19. Groff

Groff Medicine Chief/RHLC© Contributor

We've actually gotten compliments on how loud we WEREN'T.

So many people have commented that they can actually hear everything, and that it's not all white noise.

It's easier to enjoy that way.

20. Stitch

Stitch Banned

:agreed:

I've had the same. I hate unbalnced mixes. Make it loud enough that every nuance is there, but not so much that the whole thing 'sizzles'. How hard is that? :shrug: