The Digitech GSP1101 thread.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by El Caco, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

The 5150 looks pretty neat but $200 for a pedal is slightly over my budget, that's about as much as I'm planning to spend on the next guitar I'm going to buy. :D

I'll probably pick up both an overdrive and distortion though, so I can see for myself what the differences are and use them in combination with the amps that are already in the 1101, like @op1e said.

2. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

With some decent 3rd part IRs (GuitarHacks, Rosen/3 Sigma, Ownhammer, etc...) most of the amp sims are pretty good. I mostly use the 5150, Randall RG100, Soldano SLO-100 & the Digitech 2101 "Saturated Tube" amps. The Marshalls & Mesas are also decent but not quite my style. If you can only really afford the cheaper Joyo/Mooer pedals, I'd recommend you focus on a good boost/od because the distortions won't be nearly as good as what you can get with the GSP.

3. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

If I had a good power amp I would easily mostly roll with just my rack for when we're not headlining. Could live with the JCM 800 for six string and the e530 or Saturated Tube for 7 string.

4. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

op1e, when running an OD pedal, do you run it just like you would a normal setup; GPS In to OD Out or do you run it in the loop? You've got me curious lol, ive got and SD-1 kicking around somewhere i'm about to track down lol

5. Spinedriver

Personally, I run my drive pedals straight into the input. You should DEFINITELY try the SD-1 with a few of the amps, especially the Randall & 5150. All of the mod/dealy/reverb pedals go into the loop.

6. op1e

My signal goes Guitar-Loop Switcher input-1101-G Major-Amp. All my drive and gate are in the first 4 loops, going into the front of the 1101 then the front of the amp obviously. The rest is complicated, I don't even know how I did it lol. Goes 1101-Patchmate-G Major-FX Return. I keep a TC Spark in the loop to boost output when needed because amp models are really quiet going into the RM100 loop for some reason. There's also an RV6 and a Sonic Stomp in place of the Spark when I use the Peavey Ultra. Another cool sound I've found is boosting an ENO Crunchbox clone boosted with the od808 into the front of a clean channel or model. Pretty dynamic and expressive, amp like gain.

7. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Thanks for the input guys! Unfortunately i've either lost my SD-1 or gotten rid of it:rant2:lol i had that thing for 15 years lol. May snag one soon to test this out!

8. op1e

I've got an MXR M77 on the way. If you have to drop 50 on one, get one of those instead. SD-1 with more options.

Spinedriver likes this.
  9. Zalbu

Alright, I've decided on getting the Joyo Dyna Compressor and Ultimate Drive. Just one more question, since I don't think there's any pedal general on here, but what type of power supply should I get, this

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm
    Or this?
    https://m.thomann.de/gb/visual_sound_vs_1_spot_combo_pack.htm

I see more people recommending the second alternative but the first alternative looks way more convenient and I doubt I'd run into any problems when it has so many good reviews and so many people have bought it, or am I missing something?

10. Spinedriver

I don't know a lot about compressors but I have heard a lot of good things about the Joyo UD.

11. Ivars V

Ivars V SS.org Regular

Benton's power plant is totally fine, actually, I'd even grab the blue one if I were you.

12. Grooven

Grooven SS.org Regular

13. op1e

For some reason my XLR outs are messed up. Trying to scratch track guitars for programming drums and going direct into our Audiobox USB its just a fuzzy mess of noise. Works fine thru my amp and the 1/4 inch outs. I'm guessing the headphone out will work the same with the cab model on? This is weird need to fix it.

14. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

Just got done playing through mine. I'm running it with a Peavey CS200x power amp bridged for 240 watts. That goes into an Eminence Delta 12A, good for 400 watts. Loud as #$%!
    The 5150 model sounds killer with this setup.

15. op1e

I'm guessing maybe I have to find the XLR level control in the menu and turn it way down. Normally direct outs are full balls to the wall volume, and my GSP and amp are set to unity gain.

16. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

You can set the xlr outputs to +4dB, -10dB or variable (where xlr output volume is controlled by the headphone volume knob)

If you have it set to +4, or your variable volume is too high it can overdrive the audio interface's preamp pretty quickly and it's hard to get a solid signal to noise ratio. I use mine with -10dB on, and I still use my audio interface's pads for it.

I used to have the Presonus Audiobox 1818vsl a while back. You DEFINITELY don't want +4 engaged with that one. I remember that pretty specifically hahah.

17. op1e

Right. Thanks. I think I need to reload my custom cabs at a more conservative DB rate as well. Time to take the laptop out there. Should I go with -6?

18. Zalbu

Speaking of cabinets, which custom IR's do you people use? I've been using the same cabs since I got the unit but I can't remember which ones, and I want to try something new.

19. Spinedriver

I've used the same Guitar Hacks IRs ever since I got my GSP and haven't found anything to take their place yet (also, the fact that they are free is a HUGE bonus).
    Aside from those, 3 Sigma has some pretty decent packs for about $7.00 each.

20. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

Not sure what level you should have the custom IR's at, as I usually use a cab loader vst in the daw.

Minor correction about my setup above. I had the GSP1101 set to -10dB with the Audiobox, however on my current interface I use +4dB but with the pads engaged.

-10dB and turning the audiobox input up worked better than +4dB to my ears.... I could get a tolerable level that didn't clip using the +4dB setting on the GSP with the Audiobox turned down a bit more, but I still kinda remember feeling a wider dynamic range doing it the other way around.