The Digitech GSP1101 thread.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by El Caco, Jan 17, 2010.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Good for you, mate. :yesway: I tweaked the noise gate the other day, cause it affected too much when I roll down the volume, it was at 30, I found out 24 is good enough if you have your hand placed over the strings when not playing. I don't see a use for any other but a bit of delay and reverb for some patches, the rest is due to my evh 5153 awesomeness.

2. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

A few days ago I put my Engl E530 together with the GSP to use internal/external preamps. Sounds really nice.

3. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

I do the same. It's been my sound for years. :yesway:

4. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Just listened to the track and it sounds friggin' great, mate. Tell me a bit more about the Ownhammer stuff. Is it software or a rack unit?

5. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Thanks dude :wavey: i can't really take much credit for the song as it's not mine lol but as for the ownhammer setup, its just another IR dude. No extra software/rack units or anything. I've used a few OwnHammer IR's in the past here and there but always go back to the Rosen Digital stuff. I've actually switched up from using the EV12L used in that track to the tried and true Mesa OS V30 IR with a 5150 patch :hbang: lol but in all fairness, at that point i wasn't really getting the tone i was looking for out of the 5150 patch but i've since figured it out and all is brutal :shred:

6. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Good stuff. Thanks, mate. I still haven't experimented with IRs all that much. I really need to get in there and give them a proper go.

7. WarMachine

Check your inbox dude, i sent you a message and a link :metal:

8. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Can I have too, mate?

9. WarMachine

Sure dude :yesway: check you're inbox

10. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

11. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Hey guys, I'm looking into maybe getting the 1101, but trying to weigh my options with
    newer unit(s) like the POD HDX pro or the Line 6 Firehawk. Somewhere within that price range. How does the 1101 fares against those newer stuffs I mentioned? Not a gigging musician, just the occasional jam with friends. Mostly at home environment. BTW right now I'm playing thru a Micro Terror with 1X12.

Thanks in advance \m/

12. WarMachine

13. Grooven

Grooven SS.org Regular

14. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Do any of you use pedals with your 1101? I've never owned a single pedal since I started playing, I've only used modeling gear, so I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

I'm thinking about getting a compressor pedal first to get something that's more flexible and responds more naturally when using compression on clean tones, and also maybe a distortion pedal. What do you people think the 1101 doesn't nail that well?

15. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Will this answer your question... :cool:

[​IMG]

The drive pedals run into the front and the rest go into the effects loop. As for the distortion pedals (MXR 5150, Bogner, GT2 & Son Of Hyde), I just use a patch made with a clean amp.

16. Zalbu

Neato! What pedals do you feel that you get the most mileage from, that the GSP can't really nail that well with its built in sounds?

17. Spinedriver

Honestly, most of the effects on the GSP are pretty decent. It's just that I like to mess around with settings a lot and it's much easier to tweak pedal settings on the fly than trying to edit the pedal settings on the editor. There's a pretty decent selection of drive pedals on the 1101 but I find the MXR CBM od sounds better to my ears. That and not including the bass pedals, the TC Hall Of Fame, Boss RV-6 and TC Flashback have much better delay/reverb settings. It all depends on what you're after though, if you just need a little bit for adding depth to your sound or just some basic repeats for delay, the onboard effects should do fine. Just try them out, mess around with the settings and see if you can get sounds you like out of them.

If you go through them all and are still pretty underwhelmed, then just pop down to the music store and check some of those out. As far as the Pod X3 goes, I got it for a good price and I bypass everything on the 1101 except for the cab section. That's where I use the custom IRs of the GSP and then de-activate the cabs on the X3. The results are pretty decent and it's cool to have when you're in the mood for something different. Even when using the same cabs, the amp sims on the X3 do sound a bit different than those of the 1101. They aren't any better or worse, they're just..different. lol..

Like I said though, if you like the sounds on the unit, there's really no need for external pedals at all. I'm just at 'at-home' player and have a short attention span, so I started picking up cheap pedals here & there just to mess around with. If I were to play in a band again, I'd probably use the MXR 10 band, maybe one of the drive pedals and the TC delay & reverb. The rest would be staying home.

18. Zalbu

Yeah, I'm pretty satisfied with most of the sounds I'm getting out of the 1101, I mainly just want to do what you're saying and get some cheap pedals and experiment with. I haven't really delved deep into the unit and experimented with everything yet, but the pedals I'm looking at getting is the Devin Townsend Ocean Machine, because I love weird, exotic delays and reverbs for ambient stuff and the 1101 doesn't really have any shimmers or anything like that, and a compressor pedal because that's the main effect that I've found I'm not getting as much flexibility from as I'd like to from, and it's much easier to tweak on the fly when I want to go from a mellow clean tone to a spanky funk sound and things like that.

I'm also looking at getting a distortion pedal because I'm rubbish at dialing in big metal rhythm sounds on modelers so using a pedal will make it easier to get a good rhythm tone and I assume that getting a dedicated distortion pedal will both sound and feel more like a real amp, even if you're getting your clean sound from a modeler.

I'm looking at the rebranded Joyo pedals on Thomann, they only go for like $30 each and I've read good reviews for them online, I don't really want to go for the super expensive stuff when I've never owned any pedals before and just figure out how to use them and what sounds I prefer.

19. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

A real overdrive into the front of the 1101 was a game changer for me. A Maxon OD808 into the front of the 5150 or JCM800 is wow. Could turn the gain down below half on the models. I use the built in SD-1 for 7 string stuff cause its tighter and doesn't feed back during palm mutes and stops, but like all the drives in there its kinda weak, stiff, and needs more level. Hell I think a simple boost like the TC Spark I have would do wonders on its own.

20. Spinedriver

If I didn't already have the RV-6 and the Flashback, I'd probably be seriously looking into getting an Ocean Machine too. It has some really cool features to it but over here, it's pretty expensive. As for drive pedals, the MXR 5150 is really nice and even has a built in noise gate & boost. I've heard good things about the Friedman BE-OD but the demos I've heard of it make it sound really mid-rangey and it's not what I'm looking for. The Tech 21 GT2 also has a pretty wide range of tones as well if you can find a good deal on one.