The Digitech GSP1101 thread.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by El Caco, Jan 17, 2010.

1. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Thanks dude :wavey: like I was saying in an earlier post that was matching the tones of the 5153 Sim I was using in bias fx. I'd love to get my hands on a 5153 and 4x12 for a day to match I even closer lol. But for now I am completely happy with the tones I get out of it lol.

2. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I meant just the solo sounded a bit digital too me, not the rest, great playing anyway.

3. WarMachine

No worries dude and thanks for the input! :metal:

4. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I seem to be messing with delay a lot lately and can't land on anything. What are your settings for a good studio/live setting that's not too washed out but adds atmosphere?

5. WarMachine

This is what i use, i've had pretty good results with it:
    "Tape"
    Time - 502ms (but it gets adjusted on the pedal with the tempo button lol)
    Repeats - 49
    Wow - 20
    Flutter - 1
    Level - 50

6. op1e

I still have yet to try the Tape Echo lol. I think I tried it once and it was tinny sounding, but I never went in depth. Kinda been stuck on the two tap since the early 90's and my rp10 days. I'll give it a shot tonight.

7. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Does anybody here use their GSP in a band/live playing setting? When I'm at home I just connect my studio monitors to the headphone jack on the GSP, but what's the best way to just get some volume out for jamming with other people? Power amp and a small cabinet, or getting a stage monitor and connecting the GSP directly to that, or what?

8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

That sounds really good to me!

I think maybe the cymbals and vocals might be a bit too loud, because it can be hard to hear the guitars (or maybe more mids needed in guitar), but overall I think it sounds good. It is slightly digital sounding, as mentioned above, but I like that tone. I think that helps give it a nice modern tone.

9. op1e

You're over the pond, get a Harley Benton 2x12 vintage and whatever power amp you can snag. Powered monitor might be the cheapest way to get going. I've never used mine that way. Been using it with tube heads mostly for practice and live playing.

10. WarMachine

Thanks dude! :wavey:

11. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

I've literally never played through a real amp and cab, only combos and modelers, so I've always wondered what the power amp actually does? Is it just so the signal gets enough power to run through the cabinet?

12. op1e

Its an amp. That powers... speakers. Preamp (1101) + Power Amp = AMP. In a way at least, its just modular.

13. dan the man

dan the man SS.org Regular

Hi everybody! Just got myself a GSP1101, read through all 70 pages of this, and I still have a few questions. I'm using it in the 4cm (wizard setup #7, int/ext preamp) in conjunction with a Peavey 6505+. Eventually, I'd like to set this up with my Mesa Mark IV but that's in the shop right now.

My main concern is how to get a pure unadulterated 6505+ preamp tone with the 4cm. Ignoring all the GSP's various functions, disabling everything, I'm looking to get THE SAME tone as the raw 6505+. Here are a few things I've found out from reading:

1. Power amp setting to "flat"
    2. Cab sim set to XLR only
    3. Make sure Global EQ is neutral
    4. Set preset level to somewhere around 40-50
    5. Set loop level to -10db

So, just to reiterate: for my main "metal" rhythm tone, I want to basically bypass everything on the GSP and have my tone come from the 6505. For cleans, I'll use the internal preamps from the GSP through the 6505 power amp section.

I'm a little confused about all the various volume controls as well. Where should the output knob on the front left part of the GSP set to? What should my preset levels be? What should my effects send and return levels be? Should I use the -10db or +4db loop level?

Any and all help appreciated! Just trying to get run the GSP as transparently as possible. I really like the preamp tones of my 6505 and Mark IV, and the only way I'm gonna keep the GSP1101 is if I can get it setup to reflect the raw tones of my other preamps. No matter what I do, the GSP appears to alter my tone.

14. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

Would a Rocktron Velocity 100 LTD be good for GSP1101? Just saw them at almost -60% on Thomann.

15. WarMachine

Honestly, the 100 won't cut it in a band situation dude. They sound GREAT mic'd of course, but you'll be fighting with everything else to be heard. I had one of the 300's and while it sounds great, even a 300 was barely heard if you end up doing something like a stripped down show, as in like having only vocals and a kick drum mic'd lol. I really like the FRFR route for this honestly. I've got an EVZPLX (if i remember the name right :nuts: ) that's 1000 watts and its plenty loud!

On a side note; i just bought the ownhammer EV12 impulse and this thing is badass!!! I did this tune with it real quick, it was something from an Ola vid i seen a few years ago of one of the orange terrors. If i remember right he said it was a cover in the video and i'm going off of memory of how it sounded so maybe it's a little more "original" now :lol:

https://www.mediafire.com/?ulmvnjv3y9v30vv

16. WarMachine

Just found out something badass about this thing. May be old news or noob-ish but fvck it :lol: Set the compressor to "pre" and crank the sustain and level to get a more natural roll off versus getting no sustain at all (like usual unless an OD is cranked in front of it) Now i can get the 5150 sounding heavy as hell, plenty of clarity and gain at 50% with a clean boost :hbang: hope this helps someone lol, this thing continues to impress me daily :agreed:

17. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot! I feel a bit of envy of those of you who still find out new cool stuff about the GSP. I'm so lazy about it, I just use it as a Midi way to switch channels in my Evh 5153, I basically got a preset I don't dislike very much, copied it everywhere and deactivated everything but the noise gate on every patch I made for my amp head.

I feel I'm not getting even 10% of the juice I could with this unit. I'm a bit obsessed with it not colouring my tone. And anyway, I think my first RP1000 didn't colour it as much as the GSP, might it be or just using the 1101 wrong?

18. WarMachine

I'm not really sure man, when I ran mine 4CM with my 5150 I didn't get any tone suck or anything, maybe it's different for the 5153?

19. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

dunno, it sounded great yesterday in my band rehearse, it is a matter of days I think, some sound better than other :lol: Anyway, I'll try what you suggest with the compressor which I also have deactivated, I need a lot more tweaking but almost have no time to spare and every good move I make at home sounds later ....ty at the rehearsal room. :scratch:

20. WarMachine

Keep in mind too dude, I run direct so YMMV; running the GSP as a standalone preamp into a DAW/Mixer/FRFR/etc it gives you the missing amp harmonics and sustain that is lacking without it. I was jamming all day today before I came to work, non stop. This was truly the only major gripe I had with the 1101, and now it's gone :)