The Digitech GSP1101 thread.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by El Caco, Jan 17, 2010.

1. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

There are enough owners of the GSP1101 here now to have one of these.

Post your presets, sound clips, tweaking advice and questions in here.

I decided to do this as I get asked about my Engl preset enough, I'll start the thread with what I have of it. It was originally made as a test to see if the GSP1101 could replace the E530 in my rack so there was no cab modeling, it was just an experiment to replicate one tone but I've started tweaking that preset and I am trying to see how close I can get it to my full rig running direct. I'll share my progress so far and add to it as I continue.

You need vC48 installed.

Pre EQ

LOW LEVEL -8 db
    LOW FREQ 125 HZ
    LOW WIDTH WIDE

LEVEL 99

everything else is standard on the pre EQ, this is how I achieved the same gain structure as the E530 on the lead channel with hi gain activated. The bass is brought back in on the amp model.

The amp model is the Digitech Saturated tube these setting don't really matter because they should be set to sound best with your guitar and the gain level should be set to taste and style but here are some numbers you can start with.

GAIN 43
    BASS 7.6 you will most likely want to roll this back slightly with some cabs
    MIDRANGE 4.9
    TREBLE 8.7 if you have a bright guitar you will want to roll this back

I'm also trying to clone my rig as a direct sound, I am not there yet but I have started with the DIGI SPKR COMP as the cab because it has a smooth EQ curve but it is really bright, if you try to use this cab you will need to add an EQ with a strong high cut and set HIGH WIDTH to WIDE at about 4.5 KHZ.

Like I said this is a work in progress but if you tweak it or anything else and get good results please share.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

3. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

I really want to try one of these things now... :wallbash: Damn you all and your GAS inducing talk!

4. Fzau

Fzau Unleash the proggies

Just how good is the direct recording? I don't really know whether to buy seperate pedals and a G-Major or the GSP1101 :scratch:
    If it's a decent recording tool I'll probably go that route.
    Oh, and another quick question: it's possible to have the FX in the amp loop (boost in front) and still change the pre-amp models for use with the poweramp right? Like in distortion channel from the amp but clean from the GSP?

5. El Caco

It is great for direct recording, the cabs are not it's strong point but they work with EQ, I've been using it direct to my Active PA cab and so far I have been able to get it to sound as good as running through my Mesa power amp and cab when running direct however at this stage (and it probably isn't possible) it doesn't respond like a tube rig to rolling back the volume so I haven't been able to tweak it to the point where it is a perfect live replacement direct compared to running it through a tube power amp but it can sound great direct and it is great for direct recording. Not that I'm much good at playing or recording :lol:

Some people have been running the GSP1101 in combination with an Axe FX and report that with the control 2 it is very effective as a midi switcher and they can pick and choose the best of each.

Just to add more confusion there can't possibly be much in between each unit, I have read many posts from guys that own two of the top three modelers (AFX, GSP1101, Eleven rack) and there is no clear winner, it seems everyone has a different opinion of which one sounds the best.

6. maxident213

maxident213 SS.org Regular

Got my 1101 a couple of weeks ago and I think this thing slays. :hbang: IMO it's living up to all the hype.

Thanks for this thread. :yesway:

7. Fzau

Fzau Unleash the proggies

Awesome, thanks :yesway:
    I'm planning on using it for FX and boost and EQ and noisegate (possibly tagged up with an NS-2 or Decimator) for my Pittbull, but like to record with it as well. Otherwise I have to buy decent interfaces etc. before I can finally start tracking guitars. Not that I'm not doing that in the future, but it will work for now :metal:
    I'll work with impulses for the cab models anyway for recording and won't be using them live so I don't care about the sucky cabs on the GSP.

I have to ask this again though :D Is the following possible?
    GSP boost & compressor => Pittbull Lead/Rhythm OR GSP Clean (switchable that is) => GSP Fx Loop => Pittbull => Cab
    My main concern is the use of the Pittbull distorted pre-amp and GSP clean in combination with the fx loop :scratch:

My wallet thinks the GSP sounds best for now :lol:

8. Zugster

Zugster the green machine

One of the things I want to get around to with my 1101 is to record indirect by putting an SM57 in front of my cab. Since I run 1101 > Carvin DCM200L ss power amp > 2x12, I see this as a way of comparing the recorded sound to my previous tube head rig.

BTW, I looked at the Eleven rack, and thought that since I already have a recording interface (Tapco USB), that I'd be buying some redundancy. The reviews I heard on this forum sealed the deal. That and the price! I got 1101 + Control2 for just under $650 shipped, new from MF. With a the power amp and rack case, I put the rig together for just over $1,000 (cab not included).

9. El Caco

Not only is it possible it is what I consider one of the most ideal setups, I'm actually considering switching my mesa power amp and Randall cab for a small tube combo. I'll lose the stereo sweetness which does add a little something but I gain simplicity and a more portable setup. Another benefit of using the 4CM with a GSP1101 and a tube amp is that you can now use the pre EQ and post EQ to effectively mod the amp and change it into a totally new animal.

If the amp is not midi switchable and you wish to automatically switch it you will need to purchase a midi switcher as well but if you just want to use one channel or if it is a single channel amp or if it is midi equipped the GSP1101 will handle all the switching by itself.

Nice stuff, when combined with a power amp and cab or with a head+cab or combo it really creates one of the best value and most versatile rigs for the dollar you can buy.

10. LordOVchaoS

LordOVchaoS NUDE MAN! Forum MVP

"LOW WIDTH WIDE"

My pre eq doesn't have width settings :( am I missing something?

11. djpharoah

Joe - you have settings for the bandwidth of each parametric EQ. There are options for Wide, Medium, Low bandwidth and are the three small squares if I recall.

12. LordOVchaoS

They're there on the peq after the amp but I don't see them on the pre eq.

13. djpharoah

I'm sure s7eve was talking about the p-eq and not the pre-eq.

14. El Caco

No s7eve was talking about the EQ in the DS block.

Both the EQ in the DS block and the EQ block are the same EQ, except one is in front of the amp and means you can't use any other boost and the other is after the amp.

I would never use Global EQ on a preset. The other two EQ's should be the same thing because Stan didn't design a new EQ he just put the existing one in a second location in front of the amp in the vC48 beta firmware.

15. El Caco

Also just realised I forgot to add that the level is 99, I've edited that in the first post.

16. LordOVchaoS

That's so weird, I swear there is no bandwidth on my pre eq! At least not in X-edit. maybe I should check and see if it's on the unit itself. Unfortunately I won't be home to do so till tomorrow evening.

17. El Caco

I don't use x-edit to tweak, because I am on a Mac there is a lot more in vC48 compared to what x-edit can tweak but even when I tried the C46 x-edit on Windows a while back I noticed that there were parameters that I was unable to find in x-edit.

If I was on Windows I would not rely on x-edit alone.

18. Zugster

Zugster the green machine

Meaning we should edit the settings by turning knobs on the 1101, right? (I am using windows XP).

19. El Caco

If you have Windows just make yourself aware of what you can tweak in the GSP1101, look through everything and be aware of what the limitations of x-edit are. That way you can use x-edit primarily and turn some knobs on the GSP1101 only when you must.

I am forced to turn knobs because I am a Mac user, it really is very simple to quickly edit a preset with the select knob. Just remember that if you are on the home screen you can tap the select knob and it will take you to the main menus but if you hold it on the home screen you go into quick edit mode. You simply scroll to the block you want to edit and press the select knob again to go to that blocks menu.

20. LordOVchaoS

yup :agreed: I can change the bandwidth on the GSP, just not in X-edit.