The degradation of John Petrucci technique

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Rachmaninoff, Mar 17, 2017.

1. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

As someone who made a serious body transformation myself (went from 130kg and borderline obese to 90kg and lifting heavy) i'd like to chime in.
    - Lifting weights is not bad for your joints, bones, muscels or fine motorics. You need to listen to your body and not give 110% 7 days a week. When you don't overdo it lifting weights is perfectly save and does not kill your body.
    - When your body changes, your playing needs to change too. Without that big tummy holding my LP i need to pay more attention to properly sitting while playing. Increased arm size changed muting positions a bit and your pick angles change slightly because your wirst is a bit further away from the guitar.

Overall, i don't think lifting has a detremental effect on playing technique per se. But, if your gym time is cut from your playing time it might ;) For me personally, increased strength has helped me increase my speed and stamina. Not that i was or am petrucci levels before or now, but my arms certainly feel less sore after long playing sessions today.

All this assumes that you aren't consuming testosterone or other enhancing drugs and are not trying to become a competitive strength athlete. But if you are, you're playing skills should be secondary anyways :lol:

Finally, maybe the musical focus shifts with the years. I found that getting older made me appreciate melody and arrangement over speed :ugh:

2. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

For someone like PG who has a very fluid picking technique, yea he probably won't have many wrist issues in his life. He also doesn't pick everything, neither do a lot of players.

Morse was about 50 when he started having major wrist issues. Both Morse and Petrucci are strict alt pick guys with very demanding right hand techniques.

As someone mentioned before Petrucci's technique isn't the most fluid, never was, as soon as you get some tightness in the wrist or smaller joints you will have to rely on the bigger joints for movement, exactly what he is doing more in recent years.

I don't see how you can say age has no bearing of playing capacity and its just practice alone, if anything its repetition mixed with age that causes wrist issues. Exacly was over practicing does.

Occams Razor points to wrist issues.

3. mdeeRocks

mdeeRocks SS.org Regular

Read my post again. We don't know, unless you happen to know John personally and you were with him on that day. The most plausible speculation is that he had a bad day (google what occam razor is before using it).

The bottom line is that he can play circles around most people on the planet even on his bad day and I guess he will be able to continue until he is really old.

4. mdeeRocks

mdeeRocks SS.org Regular

Holy ...., the solo in this tune...
    On the other note, I wish I could be half as cool as Dug is when I am 66 ;)

5. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Lol, occam razor just means the simplest explanation is likely the correct one. Given the multitude of possible simple explanations I think you using occam razor is a bit silly to begin with, or did you just throw it in there trying to make yourself sound smart?

The most plausible explanation based on his technique over the last few years and its changes is simply age catching up with him. What's wrong with that anyway?

To assume he had a bad day when others (including myself) have said he does the same thing all the time now or a lot more then usual indicates that it wasn't just a "bad day".

6. thesnowdog

thesnowdog SS.org Regular

He talks a little about some of these issues here (at 30m)

7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Not to mention my right shoulder tends to hurt and get tired when I play now? And I'm def not a speed picking guy, I'm as legato as it gets... but modern metal rhythm playing seems to be killing me. Sadface.

8. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

I caught Malmsteen a few years back and he was pretty sloppy. Outright flubbed a couple of runs. Could just be a bad night, but either way, the man knows how to put on one hell of a show.

9. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

But it's been the same show for thirty years, and the best instances of it occurred in the mid-80s. Just think about it from Yngwie's point of view: You're seeing him on a Groundhog Day that's been repeating since 1983, except his body has been aging in real time; and it's failing to reproduce all the same choreographed high kicks, catching the pick, asking what time it is and then yelling "It's time...to rock,", etc. And he's been going through these motions all for the sake of buying another white 70s strat, another red Ferrari, a larger leather suit. It's like he's Santa Claus, and every day he wakes up to discover it's Xmas eve again, and the only detail setting the years apart are whether it's confectioner's sugar or cocaine he's snorting.

Hellish.

Or at least that's what I noticed my mind drifting to the last time I saw him live. His technique was still better than mine will ever be.

10. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Michael Romeo of Symphony X is another guy that springs to mind. He doesn't seem as sharp as he used to be - seen some live shots where he completely messes up. He is 49.

On the other hand there is Jeff Loomis which is 45 and pretty much seems to be at the top of his game in these years.

An aspect that haven't been discussed that much, except maybe the latest post is how your mind ages or your goals in life. When you are 18 - 25 you wanna conquer the world and be the fastest and best guitar player ever. When you are 50 - 60 you probably know that you have climaxed as a player and maybe even as a musician (for some) and generally you might not feel as inspired to play guitar. Problem is that it is the only thing you can really do in life, you have never done anything else.

Paul Gilbert still seems super excited about the guitar, and maybe that's what makes him practice and still hold up.

Not saying I know anything about this topic, just trying to add to the discussion :)

11. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

Malmsteen's legacy is sort of looking a lot like Spinal Tap. When I saw him, the event was billed as "Open Air" when in actuality it was a stage trailer in a parking lot.

But cheers to the legend. I hope he high kicks until the day he dies.