The dark side of supporting bigger bands: finding out that former "idols" are idiots

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by petereanima, Jun 4, 2008.

1. B36arin

B36arin SS.org Regular

I worked with backline at a festival last summer where The Haunted were playing, so I got to meet them and talked to them a few times during the festival. They were all really cool and down-to-earth guys. Jensen ended up inviting me to come see them in Gothenburg so I got on the guest list. When I saw them in Karlstad two weeks ago I met Anders and had a chat with him, he remembered me from last summer and we talked back and forth for a while. Awesome band and awesome guys.

2. AChRush1349

AChRush1349 SS.org Regular

Nicest. Guy. Ever. Met him with Megadeth...and Dave was the BIGGEST asshole ever. Chris was the nicest dude ever.

3. Ricky_Gallows

Ricky_Gallows lyketotallybrashdude

Danzig...prettttty douchey.

4. Anthony

Anthony Banned

Chris Storey and Chris Broderick are the nicest fucking dudes on the planet.

5. serazac25

serazac25 SS.org Regular

So 2 years ago I went to Megadeth in my city, Monterrey, NL, Mexico. And when i was waiting in line I made new friends and all, and some how the knew that the band was going to the hotel or something, and they went chasing them, they got a cab and strated following , them, one of them came back with the ticket signed by sir Chris Broderick , when he asked for his autograph , Chris was about to sign the part they cut from the ticket, and my friend said, "not that part" and Broderick was all like "Oh, getting demanding" :p and then my friend was all like, "No no, its just that they tear that part of the ticket"

and when they asked for megadaves autograph he said "No now!" even though they were euphoric since they met Dave Mustaine in person and they are pretty big fans.

At that time i was the only one who knew about mister Chris Broderick being the new Lead :D. I was shocked when I was watching this Ibanez catalog, and Chris whas there, and under his name was, Megadeth, and I was like D: awesom, finnaly a guitar player who can pickup where Marty left, :p

6. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

Bill from Decrepit Birth is pretty cool. I didn't know who he was when I met him, sadly.

Gunface is cool. Terrance Hobbs is cool.

But I have to say that the coolest person I've met was Jason from chiodos. My band played with his other band (King), and we talked about his gear onstage after the show. I couldn't believe how friendly he was. He was probably pretty happy to be away from all the stupid little girls that love his other band. We also got to hang out with the other guys, and they were all cool.

7. goat violator

goat violator Procrastinator

My Mate was on the plane with Nile a couple of days ago and chatted to both Karl and Dallas for a while and said Dallas was a great bloke, if not slightly "out there".
    However my mate is a non metalhead and works in finance!! The only reason he knew it was Nile was due to the fact they had roadcases and he knew I had been at their gig the night before and they were flying to the next city (as was I) that day, and the bastard rang me up to confirm. I was unfortunately on the following flight! :mad:

8. ridner

ridner Bastard of Thousands

only dude I've met that was a total ass was Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir.

9. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

Fucking cool people I have met,

Dino Cazarez
    Joe Payne
    Tim Yeung
    Galder
    Joe Satriani (he asked me stuff instead of me asking him stuff)
    John 5
    Gaahl (his shoulder bumped into mine at a show they were headlining)

Jerks,
    Kerry King (both times)
    Wednesday 13 (my band opened up for them, singer was a mega douche, so our singer threw fake blood on him during their set causing a huge chaos scene)

10. Thep

Thep Blast & Sweep

I've met alot of people, and in my experience the only dick was Steve Ashiem from Deicide.

11. CodyMTS

CodyMTS jun jun jun

I've met dudes from Between The Buried and me, Black Dahlia Murder, and been around the Unearth dudes at shows where my band has supported

To be honest; I dont personally take any offence if someones being a 'dick' or not just because their in a band, you never know what caused someones mood on a given day. However the three bands I mentioned were all really nice dudes

And the thing about Howard; that is the most piss poor display of cowardice I have ever seen. I guarantee he would not have done that if there wasnt a crowd there/security/roadies/bandmates etc.
    On a similar note, some douchebag succsefully pulled Trevor from TBDM's pants down mid song, and all he responded with was a quick punch to the head with a mic, and a push back into the crowd, no further mention was made. Perfect response IMO. Shit happens at shows, it only escalates if the band pays attention to it and throws a tantrum and goes "Look at me, I have a mic"

12. Meldville

Meldville SATANOGRAPHER

I can't remember if I already posted stuff here, but who cares? :lol:

My old death metal band opened for Misery Index a year or two ago, and those dudes were some of the coolest, most down-to-earth people I've ever met. Sparky, Jason and I sat around and shot the shit before the show, and everyone went to the local 24/7 diner and ate/hung out until crazy fucking late (well, early, I guess).

My new band opened for Dark Castle, Black Tusk, and Zoroaster a couple of days ago. Stevie and Rob from DC are AWESOME, very laid back, very funny. The Black Tusk dudes didn't really hang out, but the guys from Zoroaster did, and much booze was consumed together.

13. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil \m not jesus land m/

Cool man, I like bands like that. I'm not totally in to Misery Index as a band but they sound like dudes you could chill out with, chat with, drink with....and CONSUME MASS QUANTITIES:

[​IMG]

14. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

i have met and partied with alot of people. everyone was super cool, but. as marilyn manson got more and more trendy brian got more and more douchey :) even when i stayed at nine inch nails hotel room in dayton back in 94 trent was cool. he went to bed about 10 minutes after i got there, but greeted me, talked for 5 minutes and politely excused himself to his own room for the night. i stayed up all night on shrooms talking to their then guitarist richard patrick about his up coming band filter lol.

15. cycloptopus

cycloptopus SS.org Regular

Dude, how cool was that! Love filter!

16. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

the cool part was he supplied me with the shrooms, and said most of the cd was recorded on shrooms or acid lol. he was like , we even recoded songs on each others answering machines while im on tour (these would later be known as the "dictaphone tracks". you can hear the beginnings of them on song "white like that".

17. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil \m not jesus land m/

Not a NIN fan, at all....but that's fucking awesome :lol: