The Dark Knight Rises Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Vicissitude27, Oct 28, 2010.

1. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i know, it was taliya that escaped, not bane. yet the entire movie, they kept showing a child with a perfect face escaping, which lead it to be very predictable. at the same time, if the folks in the pit mentioned that it was a girl, then it would have lead to a bigger deal. however, they kept saying 'its a child' and thats it. point being, it made it far more predictable.

ra's al gul and taliya didn't free everyone from the pit. there were those who still told the stories to wayne. and if they did come to save everyone from the pit, then it doesn't make sense to leave a few behind.

and they could have pulled the trigger when bruce was in the pit as that would have been far more torturous as he is sitting it out and watching his entire city burn. i mean, when batman came back, bane said 'impossible!' meaning no one was expecting him to come back, meaning they would have blown the place regardless of if batman was there or not. which still stands my point regarding why they had to wait to blow it up.

2. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

What you are describing is super hero cliches and also factors that take place in ALL action films. Most films could end in like 10 minutes if they had done it the right way, but that wouldn't make a very good movie. :lol:

3. RedSkull

RedSkull riffs master

I'll be honest .. upon second ''private session'' viewing , I've enjoyed it a lot more but it doesnt erase the complains I have with it.
    What I've notice also is that if the first Florence talk was only described by Alfred and not shown , that specific part in the end would have been a lot more powerful/enjoyable.

4. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Why stand for entertainment that succeeds on its own merits? That doesn't make a lot of sense. It would have been nigh on impossible to make a Batman film as good as Inception (given the premise of each) and I actually think Nolan and team did a pretty fucking good job of getting it to stand shoulder to shoulder with films such as Inception and The Avengers (it could even be argued by some that it trumps both).

If it had your attention (and therefore I am assuming entertained you for at least the majority of the film) then why not forgive its flaws and appreciate it as a whole? Doesn't make sense to me to go nitpicking in a blockbuster (and therefore its promise on artistic value is limited as it has to have a wide appeal) that is quite clearly vastly superior to what blockbuster films used to be even as recent as 5 years ago.

I personally left the cinema feeling like I had been handed at least £8.40 worth of entertainment, if not more.

5. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

When a man has high caliber actors, plenty of source material, tons of money, plenty of time and a great reputation there is no reason he couldn't have avoided some of the errors (dare I say most).

I have a feeling (or at least wishful thinking) that TDKR will come out on blu ray with extended edition.

As to your comments earlier about Avengers go see it. It doesn't make you cool to be a hipster and to just presume it sucks is ridiculous. After you've seen it by all means hate on it all you want.

6. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

With regards to the Avengers, the plot may have been fairly straight forward, but the dialogue and acting were brilliant, so I didn't really care if the story wasn't revlutionary.

In terms of why Nolan set up Johnny Blake to be Robin (or Batman, he could just take up the mantle as Bruce maintains Batman could be anybody), is that if he'd had the same name as known Robins, you would've seen it coming from the start. By changing his name, it made a nice cheeky surprise at the end (though I think a lot of us still saw it coming). I don't think Nolan intends to do any more Batman films, he just wanted to leave the universe with a bit of hope and not completely devoid of a hero. Leaves you wondering.

7. Bekanor

Bekanor Renegade Folk Hero

Saw it a couple of weeks ago on a date and enjoyed it, didn't like it as much as the first 2 but it was decent enough with a few silly things that probably only seemed silly to me.

For example, JGL looks like a little kid in an adult size police uniform halloween costume. Again, that's probably just me but he doesn't seem to have aged or grown at all since 3rd rock from the sun. Talented enough but a little one-dimensional in this I thought.

Another thing that really put me off, and has been mentioned is the weird effect they put on Bane's voice. I get that it's the mask but does he really need to sound like stroke guy from the simpsons doing a Sean Connery impression? It only happened a couple of times where obviously the scene calls for certain emoting but it just comes off sounding really weird and shatters the immersion for those split seconds.

8. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

I can not take Christian Bale serious as an actor.

After watching "American Psycho", I only see him as the man running around naked with a chainsaw xD

9. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

He is definitely overrated, but his role in Machinist was quite phenomenal so he has his moments.

The bat voice is what drew the line for me though. :lol:

10. JosephAOI

JosephAOI Thinks Jazz = Metal

Dammit, fuckin :ninja:

11. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

I loved Christian Bale's voice. :lol: Was funny, but awesome.

12. tm20

tm20 SS.org Regular

was i the only one who walked out of the cinema wishing i was Batman? :D i love this movie, well the whole series is great but this one i really like. great ending to the trilogy

13. Xiphos68

Xiphos68 SS.org Regular

Saw the movie today is IMAX 2D for my birthday (IMAX = Awesome)!

I really liked the movie (I cried a little, haha), but I absolutely loved Catwoman, Anne Hathaway did a fantastic job (I had my doubts about her, but she proved me wrong)! Plus I have a crush on her again. :lol:

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie, would love to see it again or just watch the whole trilogy!

Does anyone know if he's going to be doing another movie with another special character? ;)

Bane as a character surprised me, didn't think that much action was going to happen (insane). I enjoyed him though as a villain. Anyway, great overall, and the soundtrack RULED in IMAX!

14. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

[​IMG]

Saw the movie not too long ago.

I wasn't expecting much after the last movie, and I wasn't disappointed on that. It's just... I can't take Christian Bale seriously. And Bane was... eh. I didn't like the movie at all. Maybe it is because I grew up reading the darker Batman comics of the 90s and practically everything falls short in comparison. I just found the movie to be cliched and boring.

But, as I said, I seem to be the minority on this; I may just be jaded.

15. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I finally saw this last night. IMAX @ Smithsonian.

I really, really liked it. I'll reserve final judgement for a year or two from now, after repeated viewings, but after the first view, I think it's my favorite of the trilogy. The only moment I raised an eyebrow at was
    when Bruce sleeps with Talia
    because
    A) we don't know she's Talia, yet, and B) they've said all of 3 sentences to each other prior to sleeping with each other.
    That single moment felt completely contrived and out of place, and I literally threw my hands up at the screen in a brief, exasperated gesture of "wtf is this shit?!"

Other than that, though, I thought it was very well done. I will likely see it again before it leaves theaters.

Is IMAX really *that* expensive to shoot, so much so that even with a movie as big as this, with a virtually limitless budget, they still don't shoot the whole film in IMAX frame? I found myself getting a little annoyed by the surprisingly frequent switching between the widescreen and full screen displays throughout the film..

16. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yeah, it's definitely kind of surprising but I thought of it like this: it's been 8 years between this and TDK, as well as her having a fairly big hand in Wayne Enterprises with the whole fusion-reactor deal they talked about (I THINK that's shown before they bone). So I figured there was a lot of back relation that we don't know and this was just that moment of vulnerability that she exploited.

I also freaked when they revealed her as Talia cause ya know, Damian Wayne and all.

17. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

At the end, if you notice, Bruce and Selina are sitting in the opposite orientation of the 'man and wife' Alfred sees in the original 'Florence' flashback. Symbolically, I guess we know who wears the pants in that relationship. :lol:

18. zero_end

zero_end Lurker

Yes yes and no! And I thought that I was the only one who didn't like it at all. Count me into the minority as well :agreed:

I thought that no one would realize this! That, the cliches, and all of the "fight scenes" that looked more like a bad dance choreography (and by that I mean worse than the ones with Adam West in the 60's; who knows, maybe it was a tribute =P) than actual fights, made me dislike it with a passion.

Marion Cotillard is such a hottie. She should've been the cat woman :flame: I don't like that hathaway chick :fawk:

Cheers.

19. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    The thing which didn't make sense for me was
    if they were letting out all the oppressed people like the Scarecrow and others, why wasn't the Joker among them? I know there were real-world reasons, but in the world of the movie, Joker would have been very active in that situation.

That occurred to me as I watched Crane presiding over the court, and it took me out of the movie for the remainder. I'm sure I'm the only one who thought out the implications of the situation and was bothered by it, though. Story of my life. *laugh*

20. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

Same thing bothered me, amongst a ton of other things. What about all of those mobsters? You know as well as I that the mob wouldnt lay down for Bane anymore than the next guy, so why weren't they more of a problem once they were let loose?

Also, the biggest problem is.... Let's say Bruce got that bomb 10 miles away from Gotham... First of all, how did he then get at least 6 miles away from the bomb, to safety, in that amount of time? It would have been physically impossible. Secondly, Gotham would have still been fucked with the bomb having gone off that close to the city.

Also, why does Catwoman have a suit? I understand that this is a super hero movie, and costumes are a staple, but not only were we given nothing about her background, but we were given no reason why she sometimes had a custom made combat suit on... I'll venture to guess that I'm the only one that was bothered by that.