The Crazy Tunings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by HamBungler, Mar 11, 2008.

1. HamBungler

HamBungler Lord Zorgatron

Have any crazy/interesting tunings that you have randomly discovered?

Just today I was jamming around with a buddy and decided to demonstrate some Djent, and discovered that GGCFAD is an awesome tuning! The octave chords are a lot of fun and its great to experiment with!

Discuss! :agreed:

2. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............

DADGAE
    DADF#AE
    CGDAEF#
    GbDbGbDbGbBbEb

I really like those ones, but haven't ever heard of anyone else using them...

Some wierd ones I like, but didn't actually discover on my own...

DADGAC
    CGCGAD
    BbFCGBbC
    EbBbEbFBbEb
    CGDGAD
    ADADAAD
    DGDGCD

3. Variant

Variant Banned

Well, The Black Oar of Doom, a.k.a. my Steinberger Syanpase 28.625" beritone is basically a subguitar tuning (a whole octave down, like a Fender VI bass, lets say), except the low E1 is subsituded with an A0, which would be a whole step lower than the low B0 on a six string bass. So you got:

A0 A1 D2 G2 B2 E3

Its interesting because you've got a whole octave jump between the two low strings which works becuase choring much below A1 generally doesn't come across well anyway. You can write some very cool riffs around it just jumping between the two A strings... sometimes just reinforing the pedal point with rhythems of the same note. The strings are a plain .016 for the "high" E and .022 for the B, with nickel wounds .034, .045, .058 for the middle strings, and the sub A0 is a .110 nickel wound bass string with the a guitar ball sugically implanted in place of the bass one. :agreed:

4. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

Right now The Great KittyThulhu is in GCGDAE. Sounds awesome!! I would do all fifths but my low G string (an 85 btw) just BARELY does F. I'm gonna step up to a 90 or 95, cause I wanna be able to do F,E,Eb, and even D on occasion.

5. Trespass

Trespass AEADGBEA

Eb-A-D-G-B-E

Just simple, allows to voice a minor triad and shift it like a powerchord, while still keeping in relatively standard tuning.

G 1
    D 3
    A 3
    Eb 2

6. ohmanthisiscool

ohmanthisiscool SS.org Irregular

5 strings G/D/d/x/a/e I call it Faux-Mandolin tuning. like a mando, but only one string is doubled and its 1 octave higher (D&d, and no I'm not talking about the game :lol:). as a whole I think its 1 octave below mandolin, like a bozuki.

Also the other day I grabbed the bottom 5 tuners and turned them one way or the other until I felt like stopping and came up with this gem : E/A#/C#/ab/ab/d# The 3 high strings can also sound mandoliny when strummed

7. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

That's the kind of messed up, unclassifyable chord type I'd (purposefly) stumble upon.

8. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

it's not too crazy, well devy uses it alot, so perhaps it is :lol:
    c g c g c e

fucking fun.

9. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

D-major ADADF#AD

D-Minor ADADFAD

D-majordom7 ADACF#AD

D-Minordom7 ADACFAD

D-9 ADADF#CE

D-Min9 ADADFCE

D-MAJ7 ADAD#F#AD#

D-dim A#DA#DFA#D

C-major GCGCGCE

C-Minor GCGCGCD#

C-major7 GCGCGA#E

C-Minor7 GCGCGA#D#

C-9 GCGCGA#D

C-Min9 GCGDGA#D#

I'm sure these are discovered by others to, but I just happen to made a chart out of them and try them, some om them are really useful when writing songs.