The Contortionist tabs

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Jtizzle, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Chronophobia

Chronophobia SS.org Regular

In their tuning, I think it's this:
    Code:
    E|-------2-5-2---------------2-5-2---------|
    B|-----3-------3-----------3-------3-------|
    G|---4-----------4-------4-----------4-----|
    D|-5---------------5-2-5---------------5---|
    A|---------------------------------------2-|
    E|-----------------------------------------|
    To play this in standard just play a fret lower.

Here's my updated version of Dreaming Schematics: [G#D#G#C#F#A#D#] Contortionist - Dreaming Schematics.gp5

I included the Anatomy Anomalies intro at the beginning of the tab. This update includes drums for the parts I've tabbed out, a couple new sections, and notes (if you press F5 in Guitar Pro). Unfortunately I can't edit my previous post (no idea why) so I hope everyone's going to this new link instead of the old one!

Edit: Looks to me that Dreaming Schematics is played in A# standard. My next update will include the changes.

2. splinter8451

splinter8451 SS.org Regular

Nice work man! Everything looks/sounds pretty close if not perfect.

The tuning detail is minor, most people can just make those transpositions on the fly.

Thank you my good sir, now I have a reason to not sell my 7.

3. Chronophobia

TAB UPDATE!
    This time I fixed the tuning to A# standard, filled in a number of sections, changed tempo/time sigs/etc. for certain parts, filled in drums, etc. etc.

If anyone can help me fill in the section with the chords and tremolo part, please do! I need some help on this 'cause I can't tell what they're playing through the crazy effect pedals.

If anyone has requests for another song on the album you'd like me to give a shot at, I'd be happy to try it out for you. I need a push to do this 'cause usually instead of playing guitar I'm gaming... so motivate me people!

[G#D#G#C#F#A#D#] Contortionist - Dreaming Schematics.gp5

@splinter8451 Thanks for recognizing my efforts, I'm glad I've helped. It was fun tabbing it out and I now have another song to jam to.

4. Chronophobia

I edited the tab AGAIN, probably for the last time, unless someone gives me corrections/advice.

[A#D#G#C#F#A#D#] Contortionist - Dreaming Schematics.gp5

Edit: WOW I meant to post this as an edit to my previous post. Sorry for double posting... I didn't mean it I swear!

5. Chronophobia

Sorry for a third post in a row, but I updated the tab once more and therefore have to supply a new link. I believe the tab to be mostly correct, however the clean/guitar effect sections may still be wonky. Also note that they tune their F# (third string) down to an F. In my tab I use regular A# standard tuning.

Again, if anyone has requests, I can try and tab something out from Intrinsic for you. I'm working on Sequential Vision next but it will come slowly unless people out there let me know they're waiting :p

Good luck people, I'd love to see more activity in here...

6. Transcendnyc

Transcendnyc SS.org Regular

Dude I'm rooting for you that tab is great please tab as much of intrinsic as you can

7. Chronophobia

Updated tab:

I changed the guitar tracks to the band's tuning (A#D#G#C#FA#D#) and created a third guitar track in regular A# standard tuning for those who don't want to tune their F# down to an F.
    I've made little to no progress on any other songs guys, sorry about that.

MstrH likes this.
  8. allshallperishfan

allshallperishfan SS.org Regular

if someone can do a Causality tab id be so happy! i really wanna learn that song but dont have time or talent to figure it all out by ear

9. MONTEREYJACK

MONTEREYJACK SS.org Regular

I've got a disorganized shitheap of a tab going for Geocentric Confusion (the clean bit is about done, almost none of the first half). If anyone is interested in helping me out / just getting the second half, I'd be glad to post it.

10. Chronophobia

I'm definitely willing to take a stab at it!

11. MONTEREYJACK

12. Chronophobia

I hate GP6! What a shame it doesn't export properly to GP5. Ah well. I tried copying over the tracks of the exported GP5 to a new GP5 file, and it seems to work, however the GP5 that you exported has a drum track with 7 lines on it, whereas a default drum track on GP5 has 6 lines. I found no way to change the number of lines that a drum track has... maybe this is what's causing the export to fail?

ANYWAY. I worked for an hour or so messing around with the intro, didn't get very far though. Here's my progress.

[G#D#G#C#F#A#D#] Contortionist - Geocentric Confusion.gp5

On measure 1-9, I find it very hard to hear precisely what they are playing. At the end of every second measure there is a triplet chord thing that is difficult to decipher. I believe I have the first one on the left guitar correct, however it's hard to tell what the right is playing. For the 2nd, 3rd and 4th one (measures 5, 7 and 9 respectively) both guitars seem to be playing the same thing each time. I just can't get it to sound perfect! The first and last bar are correct except for 1 note, I think.
    I may end up pecking at it more in the future but there's so much in this song that I can't make out by ear due to how unclear I find the guitars sound.
    Thanks a lot for your tabbing MONTEREYJACK!

13. MONTEREYJACK

One would think they'd have backwards compatibility figured out by their sixth version.

I've encountered the same problem, Chrono. I can't quite place it, but it's practically impossible to pick out the individual notes / harmonies during the heavy bits (hence why I focused on the clean bit). Perhaps it's the mixing, but it's damn hard. Anyhow, midterms are through so I'll have a bit more time to devote to this. Much obliged for the help, mate!

14. Chronophobia

I'm seeing them live in Guelph, ON tonight, perhaps I'll get a glimpse of how they play certain parts. Then again, I probably won't! I want to be further back in the venue for sound quality. I'm sooo stoked... probably my fourth or fifth show ever.
    Anyway, good luck with this song, sorry I haven't contributed much. I play an Agile 8-string in standard so I have to pitch-shift every song up to my guitar's tuning, then drop my low B down to an A PLUS lower the G a half step. It's not nice for my guitar and I even (unforgivably) forget to tune back up, and leave my guitar for 24+ hours like that. It's not very motivating!

15. JosephAOI

JosephAOI Thinks Jazz = Metal

16. JosephAOI

Bump for more Intrinsic tabs!

EDIT: I figured out the notes for the groovy riff in Feedback Loop but I don't have any idea of the time signature or the note values because of how much it changes

Here the notes though:

D#------------------------------
    A#------------------------------
    F ------------------------------
    C#-----------2------------------
    G#------4-----------------------
    D#---------5----4---------------
    A#-2--5-------------------------

17. Chronophobia

Thanks for the input, this thread must go on.

I began work on Anatomy Anomalies but the song is so dense with harmony and awesomeness it's hard to even start. I just spent a considerable amount of time playing around in GP5 with the synths at the intro but couldn't get too far. I just can't figure out the chord changes. I think I have the first chord down but it's rather difficult to find what notes are and aren't in each chord played as it goes through the progression. It also seems that there is a left and a right hand part to it. Any tips?

Also, on Cam's BandHappy page, it says he's unavailable until March due to recording schedules. I suppose that message is from late 2011/early 2012? I'll cry maniacal tears if they're recording already.

Edit: Here's what I've got for the synth chords
    D#|---------------|
    A#|---------6---4-|
    F#|-2-------------|
    C#|-4--11---8---8-|
    G#|-5---9---6---6-|
    D#|-3---7-------4-|
    A#|----------------

18. JosephAOI

A quick look at wikipedia says that Intrinsic was recorded btween February and May of 2012 so maybe it could be a new record or something :eek:

19. Chronophobia

That, or Cam finished recording his parts in March, and for the rest of April and May perhaps the other instruments + mixing and mastering were being done. I'm assuming they aren't back in the studio yet... that would be silly! ...Right?

20. JosephAOI

Well, I suppose I'll ask Robby in April when I have a lesson with him! :D

Out of curiosity, is there any riff in particular anyone wants me to ask him about or suggest that I should learn? I'm probably gonna try to learn some of Causality, and possibly Advent and some of the Exoplanet trilogy.