The completed build in luthery school, accepting custom orders at awesome prices

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by sochmo, Apr 21, 2014.

1. sochmo

sochmo SS.org Regular

Hey guys, so I originally posted a thread about a build I was doing at the Guitar Craft Academy at Musicians Institute here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lu...musicians-institute-guitar-craft-academy.html Ive finally gotten around to taking some better pics (still iPhone pics, my DSLR died on me) The whole idea was to do something in the style of Blackmachine/Ibanez/Daemoness in my own way. Because we were only doing fender style scooped headstocks I chose to go with a thin parker-esque type headstock. On my future builds I will be doing a tilt back 6/7 inline headstock with a bit more meat on it but similar design, and a 3x3/4x3 headstock somewhere between Ran's headstock and the ESP cockstock.

I'm very interested in doing commissioned builds for any of you guys for very fair prices (around the $1300 mark depending on timber/hardware) Ive been working on a few designs with thin (think blackmachine thickness) bodies similar to the rg shape and with my own headstocks. I have a huge interest in exotic woods and plan on doing some rosewood or ebony neck builds with bodies made out of timbers like zebrawood, wenge, black limba, rosewood, ebony, and really whatever I can get my hands on. Right now my local woodshop doesn't have a spray booth and spraying is highly regulated in LA, so unless you want me to have your guitar shipped out and finished for around $400, oil finishes are what im doing.

Check out my Facebook page and give me a like if you can!
    https://www.facebook.com/Alexsocciguitars

Here are a few shots of my last build:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Konfyouzd likes this.
  2. Orandje

Orandje SS.org Regular

Sounds nice! This Thread might end up in the marketplace soon tho :p
    You do multiscales and chambered bodies?

3. sochmo

sochmo SS.org Regular

thanks man! I can do Chambered bodies, and multi scales aren't something I have done yet, but definitely something Im interested in doing.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Not to be the fly in the ointment, but only an idiot would buy a guitar from you right now.

I know that sounds harsh, but the most important part of that statement is the last part: "right now". If you keep with it, your guitars might be worth $1300+ one day, but from what I see and based on the fact you've built so few, I wouldn't advise anyone to take the plunge.

You seem like you're trying to run after you've just learned to walk.

Sorry if this was a bummer to read, but I can't get behind customers paying for a builder to learn his trade. As a tech (one who had done extreme repairs and rebuilds) I worked for years, for free or almost free building my skill set. I only charged folks after I knew my skills were on par with a professional.

There have been a few folks to try what you're doing, and 9/10 times it ended in a lot of pissed off folks, barely playable guitars, and ruined reputations.

Also, and once again, not trying to be rude, but $1300 for a beginner build? Do you have to pay shop fees or something? I've built guitars with "nice" timbers and pro hardware for $500 said and done (I own my tools). In fact $1300 can net you a great Warmoth build, or an awesome Carvin.

5. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp Ormsby nutter

That's what Etherial is for.

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Well, at least you've already got a better headstock than Skervesen.

But realistically you don't want flawed, early builds circulating around. I often don't have the opportunity to give builders a second chance -- if I play your guitar and it's sub-par, which...by all reasonable expectations it sort of is right now, then I've already formed that opinion, and when people ask about the guitar, that's naturally the opinion I give. So if you're serious about building, I'd hold off until you can bring your A-game. I know lots of guys who have been doing tech and repairs for years and years, greatly superseding what one would learn in an intro course, and they're still too reluctant to put their name on a custom guitar.

7. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS Formerly DJIMBO

You could give me a 6&7 if you need some practice. Ill pay the shipping

8. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

Alex - you should really get a bunch of guitars built under your belt. Trust me.

You've got a really good looking guitar there. Keep going!

9. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Looks like you did a pretty good job on that one. :yesway:

10. sochmo

sochmo SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advise mate. For the record I have been repairing and modifying guitars for over 5 years (Not talking about minor pickup swaps either, I mean nasty Gibson Headstock breaks, fingerboard replacements, truss rod swaps, and some pretty nasty work) for virtually free. I chose to go to luthery school to get a solid understanding of some techniques I didnt have experience with prior because I didnt have access to large machinery back home on the east coast, but for the most part the major stuff I already had a grasp on. After investing 5+ years to learning this craft (and still learning, like any craftsman) and 15k in my schooling I think its about time I make it a career. I can guarantee you that for $1300 I can build a guitar on par with many of the big names charging over $3k, and this is a more than reasonable price considering Im just now attempting to build a reputation for myself. In the future please do some research before making assumptions. Just because I have 200 posts on here and Im not a super mod like yourself does not mean I don't know what I'm doing or talking about. Dont take this as rude, Im trying to be as direct with you as you were with me.

11. sochmo

sochmo SS.org Regular

Thanks Brian, your guitars have always been a huge inspiration to me, cant tell you how awesome it feels to have you posting on a thread of mine! :hbang: Ive got a few exotic wood models in the works before I plan on taking any commissions.

12. sochmo

sochmo SS.org Regular

Again, not trying to be rude. Your a great tech, and ive read through many of your threads in the past. To me, it just seems like the right time to start doing this professionally, and if I didn't feel confident in my abilities I wouldn't be saying so. Now, I'm not saying that if someone asked me to go out and build them a multi scale headless 8 I would do it, but I do feel confident in most things. The bottom line is when people go to college or trade school for anything they graduate and become a "professional" of whatever they studied, so why on earth should I spend another 5 years doing free setups and repairs? $500 profit for a guitar with $800 worth of hardware and wood doesn't seem like quite so much to ask quite honestly.

13. Konfyouzd

I went to school to be a programmer...

That's not what I was when I first started working because no one trusted me to do it for a while... :2c:

And the money that I get paid to do my job is backed by some other company with way more money than me. You're asking folks who have already seen others get screwed over and perhaps have already been screwed over themselves by young confident luthiers just like yourself to part with hard earned cash. And sometimes they don't have the money to just throw away or the time to wait for the luthier to make things right if he ever does.

14. sochmo

sochmo SS.org Regular

I understand where your coming from man, I really do. Tons of people have been scammed by "luthiers" on forums like this. That is why Ive given every person that has contacted me about a build a realistic timeline and only asked for a deposit to cover materials and my cost to use the shop im at, with a full refund of the deposit should it not be fulfilled in time or should something unexpected happen. Im not in this for a short term buck, I know what an incredible guitar is and I hold myself to really high standards so I would never let something go out unless I'm 100% confident in it.

15. theoctopus

theoctopus 乇レ 刀uᄊ乇尺o u刀o

Can you build a couple of in-stocks? I'm in Los Angeles and would be happy to check them out and write up my feeling on them. Might help establish your validity and buy the confidence of your first buyers.

I think the primary problem is that there are lots of people who have come on this forum with big words and high aspirations who still have failed to deliver. If you have product ready to go, it's a different story. Otherwise, I think you're going to have a tough time convincing people to give you their money ahead of build completion.

16. sochmo

sochmo SS.org Regular

Thanks so much for the offer man! Im planning out a couple 6 and a 7 string exotic wood builds (rosewood necks, exotic wood bodies) and Id be thrilled to drop em off with you once they're done if you'd want to do a review. Cheers!

17. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Hey, you've got the ranting at potential customers online fairly down. You just need to ramp-up. I'd start with a 5 min YouTube video. Then, work your way up to an hour. Then you'll be among the Big Guys.

Electric Wizard likes this.
  18. Konfyouzd

19. goldsteinat0r

goldsteinat0r Zib Zob Zabbity

I feel like most of the horror stories come from builders biting off more than they can chew, volume wise. Just my .02.

20. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Max may be blunt in his post but he is saying exactly what most of us are thinking.

Its good you've done your homework but "Lutheir","wait list" and "Custom build" are starting to become very negative words on this site so thread lightly when looking for customers here. A lot of people here are or have had a bad experience with a commissioned guitar so you can understand where the negativity is coming from.

I would really recommend concentrating on stock/personal builds to further refine your craft and number one to generate popularity in your work. Nothing stirs up more orders and buzz than a positive NGD thread on this site but a negative one can do a lot of damage.

I wouldn't offer a refund based on missing a deadline. Wood can be unpredictable, hardware distributors can take months to get your order to you, wood can get stuck in customs for weeks on end, you could get sick, your apprentice could have to leave, family emergencies etc I've seen so many things beyond a lutheirs control slow up their wait list. A build time is more of a guideline minimum than a fixed date of completion.

Its the number one cause anyway. A builder is running low on money so he takes on more orders to help finish the outstanding ones but fails to get them out so he has to take on more orders.