The Carvin / Kiesel thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by soliloquy, May 22, 2011.

1. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

They are mythical marketing names. Then again Ibanez uses internal product catalogue names, RGDAFGBRZ667-1. Which one is better? :)

Galaxanz likes this.
  2. The906

The906 RGART Contributor

All hail the RGART.

I play music likes this.
  3. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love Ibanez' naming schemes. When explained once, it's very easy to understand what it means. Not only that, but it allows for specific specs and models rather than another "Strat". How the hell am I supposed to know the specs of a "2006 Fender Strat"? I love that I can just google an Ibanez model number and learn every single detail about that model.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

It does make finding model specs pretty easy, same with wiring schematics (which was hugely helpful when I was first learning how to do my own pickup installs and such).

I play music likes this.
  5. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Ibanez.

6. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I loved Ibanez’s scheme when they made sense. Now it’s not as straightforward to me.

7. Albake21

The only thing I find not as straight forward are the numbers, they keep going back and forth with the Prestige series having 3 to 4 digits. As far as the letters, they just stand for the body shape, then series, then woods used, then if it's a trem or fixed bridge.

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's even more complicated that. :lol:

Such a cluster fuck. They need to keep to a single unified format, at least for each shape.

9. Albake21

It may be a cluster fuck, but I still love Ibanez for keeping that cluster fuck :D

10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Product names don't bother me unless it sounds like they are trying too hard, like "Super Eagle Death Claw" or "Evil Blood Murder Funeral". "Polatiry" is a fine name. So is "Lithium". Beryllium is a little odd to me, but so is "Air Norton" to me (the name may have some legit pedigree that I've just never looked into, but the name is just odd-sounding). Parallax (the Greg Howe pickup) is OK, too. Illusionist (the Lee McKinney pickup) is on the edge of try-hard. But nothing like "Nail Bomb" or "Brute Force", IMO.

I much prefer car names than the alphabet soup so many get. Even if it's the same car, I'd rather drive a Zephyr than an MKZ. I get why they do it (there's few language/translation issues with just an alphanumeric desingation), but it's just not memorable to me. Yes, I get that having a guitar's GPS coordinates as it's model name helps identify every spec on it, but it's very "cold" to me, and I feel like there's a "branding" disconnect. "Strats vs teles" paints a much more emotional picture in 90% of the guitar buying public than "RGA61AL vs SRG450QMZD"...even though these model numbers tell you more about those specific guitars.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  11. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, I still like numbers and such more than names. I just miss being able to know what models are which without looking it up. :lol:

I think the Kiesel names are completely inoffensive. They're simple and mostly something you've heard before.

The one thing I don't like about just names is that it leads into sprawling model names.

Like "Les Paul Standard Plus Top Bigsby" or "American Deluxe Telecaster HH Trem".

12. spudmunkey

Fair point. But those things are also easier to remember, at least the way by brain works. I remember my last Ibanez was an S540...or was it a S450? Shit...I was so sure I remembered it...but I remember the "Les Paul Studio" and "American Standard Stratocaster" I had before it. I remember my Kiesel Aries as a "Kiesel Aries, with the Hipshot fixed" would tell a lay-person more than "A6H".

13. Albake21

But my problem here is if you told me you have a Les Paul Studio, I have no way of knowing exactly what that is. What year, specs, anything really. Where as an S540 can tell me every detail I'd want with either knowledge of Ibanez' models or a quick google search.

14. MaxOfMetal

If it had Ibanez pickups it was an S450, if they were DiMarzio it was an S540. That first number denotes hardware/electronics tier.

I'm sick. I need help. :lol:

Hollowway, wannabguitarist and The906 like this.
  15. The906

The906 RGART Contributor

Omg that is a bad system

16. spudmunkey

Ha! Thanks... S540LTD in Jewel Blue. Now let's see if i remember that model number in another year. :lol:

17. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

The Kiesel names are very on-brand IMO. It's not a brand I'm into, but pretty much exactly what I'd expect—like a mashup of sci-fi and mid-2000s-Affliction design sensibilities in word form.

18. spudmunkey

Don't forget the auto industry. Xcellerator, Vanquish, Ferrari Red, McLaren Yellow, Grabber Blue, Kiesel Racing Green and Orange...I have to assume Solo is a dual Star Wars/racing-themed name...hmm...am I missing any?

xzacx likes this.
  19. spudmunkey

Andy James sig model details from instagram:

@andyjamesguitar new Signature Model is available as a 7 ($1999.00) or 6 ($1949.00) standard features are:
    • 25.5” scale 24 Frets
    • Alder Body and Maple Top
    • Ebony Fretboard • Maple Neck
    • Dual Carbon Fiber Rods in Neck
    • 6100 Nickel Jumbo Dunlop Frets [Interesting...not SS]
    • Luminlay Side Dots
    • New Polarity Active Pickups
    • Color Matched Pickups to Burst • Evertune Bridge
    • Satin Black with CaliBurst
    • AJ Logo on Fretboard
    • Chose your burst/pickup colors From Gun Metal, Kiesel Green, Blood Red, Blue or Gold to make this your very own signature model
    ***The one shown has Gun Metal Burst and Optional Gun Metal Painted Back with Black Binding - this adds $400.00***

Andy will be performing at our [NAMM] booth on Friday at 2:00pm

AJ1.JPG aj2.JPG aj3.JPG AJ4.JPG AJ5.JPG

So...let's break it down.

The standard Crescent 6-string is $1499. Evertune adds $300, so that's $1799. Which means that everything else is $150 upcharge compared to the Crescent: new Active pickups with color-matched bobbins, burst paint finish, the AJ logo inlay. If you want those, the pricing seems reasonable. The normal burst finishes are $40 on the Crescent, so the inlay upgrade, active pickup upgrade and the color-matched bobbins adds $110.

So all-in all, it's seemingly not a "deal" where it costs less than a similarly-equipped base model (like say, the DC400W used to be where it was just an optioned-up DC127 but you saved $5-25 by getting it bundled), but doesn't appear to be a "rip off" like some artist signatures can sometimes be...that is if you're interested in the included specs, like the bridge, pickups and inlay.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  20. The906

The906 RGART Contributor