The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

For the life of me, i can't understand why Chrysler gave the Magnum a unique (and goofy-looking) front end. If they had made it with the Charger's front clip, i'm sure they would have sold much better, because it looks BADASS.

And apparently i'm not the only one to think so... this guy even went so far as to fabricate a small run of conversion front fenders, since the body lines don't exactly match up.

[​IMG]

2. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My '03 1.8T Jetta. I have a grocery list of things I need/want to do, but just don't have the disposable funds at the moment. I am getting the inner and outer tie-rod ends replaced, new tires, and a new brake kit soon. After that will be a set of Raceland Ultimo coilovers, and then a Gonzo Stage 2 chip tune. The only thing currently done is a cat delete/new downpipe. And that has actually done wonders. It's more responsive, idles a bit lower, and it sounds pretty damn good. I've actually raced a few cars around here (mostly ricers who think their painted steelies and oversized exhaust make them that much faster :lol:) and beat nearly all of them. The only two that I've lost to were reasonable, being a BMW 750li and an '02 Impreza STi. It's definitely a fun car.

3. axxessdenied

axxessdenied SS.org Regular

1.8T response wonderfully to exhaust + chip mods. My buddies old Jetta was so much fun after those mods :D

4. axxessdenied

I forgot to post pics of some of our other cars! :lol:

The NSX is a buddies, the celica was ours.
    [​IMG]

We replaced the celica with an '03 C240 (not the actual car but same colour)
    [​IMG]

Replaced the Mercedes with an '07 Civic Hybrid
    [​IMG]

5. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

3 days to track time, can't wait! Wheels and tires, brake pads, and brake fluid all arriving for me to install in the next couple of days... should make a big difference.

6. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

This is the general idea I'm going for. It's just a chore to find a set of Aristos that people aren't ridiculously overcharging for.
    [​IMG]

7. thealexkelley

thealexkelley SS.org Regular

looks like this guy has a whole channel of replica supercars, here's another vid of a saleen s7 made from a C5 zo6 corvette... at least he claims to make 1200hp!

8. Bekanor

Bekanor Renegade Folk Hero

Ow my balls that is so fucking awesome.

Although it's worth mentioning that here in Australia the Magnum gets the Chrysler 300C front end, badges and the name "Chrysler 300C Touring".

9. MJS

MJS .

Whoa... what a difference that Charger nose makes on the Magnum.

10. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I have been thinking about taking my car to the track, but I was wondering what stuff I should be ready to replace. Wheels/tires are obvious, I guess i will wear through my brake pads and from the sound of it I need brake fluid. What else would I need to account for to make sure my car would be track ready?

Oh and also, before I do that, I want to take some advanced driving courses. What good ones are there not too far from the DC/MD/VA area?

11. scherzo1928

scherzo1928 has wood for you

Didn't read what car you've got, but practically any car is "track ready"... In fact most people are surprised by their cars when they take them to a track. You won't go through your brake pads in a single day at the track (not even close), but your brake discs might suffer some Judder. If you feel your brakes are vibrating a bit (not the ABS kind of vibration) ease on the GAS and let them cool down for a while.

As for driving courses, I only know of a couple in the Mexico City area :rofl:

12. troyguitar

What car do you actually have?

The big things are tires, brake pads, and brake fluid. Basically you need to be able to stop and turn :lol:

Depending on your car and skill level you might be fine to go out totally stock at first: a high performance (or just plain light weight) car combined with a new driver will probably mean you can start learning without changing anything. I am swapping everything out for race-appropriate gear as I've got 20 years of experience racing and know I'll destroy stock tires/brakes very quickly, it will just be my first time out in this particular car.

AFAIK Summit Point WV is one of the closest nice tracks to you, followed by probably Virginia International Raceway and New Jersey Motorsports Park.

You can check out SCCA and NASA, both have track day programs with instructors for new folks.

13. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

[​IMG]
    The bigger XLT Sport version in black but other than that the same.

That and I love my dads 1999 Ford Tarus 24v DOHC V6. Shit has mad balls.

14. Faine

Faine Playing guitar.

My car. 2002 subaru wrx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

has lots of goodies and is pro tuned at 330hp to the wheels for now.

Dream car #1. Supra.
    [​IMG]

Dream car #2 C63 AMG Either in black.
    [​IMG]

Or white.
    [​IMG]

15. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

That WRX is tasty.

16. axxessdenied

Supra's are overrated. Much better cars out there for the money ;)

Check out the C63 AMG in matte black option. sexy as fuck!

17. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I have an '09 E90 M3 with DCT, should be good for the track as is, but I wouldn't want to ruin the PS2's I have on the car as those have about 90% tread currently, and I have heard some people say they have gone through their brake pads from a day at the track.

I have no experience whatsoever, so I would probably be after some advanced driving courses before I even touch the track, but I assume those would put similar strain on my car. Just trying to figure out what the ACTUAL cost of all of this would be. Don't want to get back from the track and realize that I have to replace a ton of shit haha.

18. troyguitar

Beginner with that car you can just go straight to a school type thing and run it stock, you can probably run it stock for a whole season depending on how quickly you learn.

I think the good schools tend to cost somewhere around $2k.

The only other thing you'd need if you decide to continue after doing a school is a helmet for around $300.

19. axxessdenied

Depends how aggressive of a driver you are. If you go with the approach of full-throttle / full-brake and no inbetween your car won't last very long. No matter what, tracking your car puts quite the strain on it compared to regular driving.

My recommendation... get a track car you won't regret putting into the wall. You won't learn how to be an amazing driver without making mistakes and learning from them. You don't want to be making mistakes in a beautiful E90 M3 ;)

20. troyguitar

^ depends on the goal. If you just want to go learn a bit and have fun in your car, run the M3. If you want to get really good at racing cars, buy a used track-prepped Miata or E30 BMW for $5k and run that for 5 years upgrading it as you go.