The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I agree that having the DCT is the best of both worlds, no clutch means you can keep your foot floored during shifts and get inhumanly fast shifts too.

2. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

The Decimobile:

[​IMG]

3. Mendez

Mendez SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Realistically this is the car I might be able to afford in the future. I haven't gotten a chance to actually drive one of these but, I'm completely happy they only make the STI in manual.

I learned how to drive on automatic (mainly cause i was forced to), but once I got a 89 celica standard, I've been hooked on manual. Honestly traffic isn't too difficult or troublesome on a standard, it actually keeps me awake compared to driving an auto. Once I had to drive it uphill during traffic after a concert, that was fun! :lol:

My current car is automatic, but man i hate how the tranny does the shifts. I guess i just love being in control of when it shifts and whatnot. :shrug:

4. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

Thanks to bulb, my car thread is going to disappear into the abyss of broken dreams.
    HOWEVER! I just bought a 2011 Ford Fiesta with a manual transmission, which is a plus in my book since I was driving an auto transmission truck, and I hated not being in control of the gears. Coasting on the clutch FTW!

I used to have 4 of those.

5. WSchaferJR

WSchaferJR Stef B7

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT. Great for hauling gear with a canopy, and overall a great truck. The 5.7 hemi gets about 12 mpg around town though...

6. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I like small cars personally; mini cooper s, mazda 3, BMW 3 series, and hell even the Miata. I prefer well rounded vehicles over straight speed, but the smaller the better.

Currently drive a Chevy Silverado and I hate it. The only advantage to a truck is people pay attention to you while driving instead of running you off the road because they can't be bothered looking out their side window. I'll probably keep the truck and invest in bike instead though...I'll save the cars for later.

7. AcousticMinja

AcousticMinja String Theorist Contributor

Here's my little beast. :) '03 Mazda Protege5.
    I lovingly call it "The Swagon". I hate the word swag, but it's a funny story...I consider it a 4 door hatchback but my insurance shows it as an "S Wagon". So some coworkers were like "HA you drive a station wagon". So I retaliated and said, "NO! It says Swagon. Do YOU drive a swagon?!" and ended up laughing. :lol: Kind of a had to be there moment, but still funny in my mind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's got 113k miles on it now and I bought it back in January after my previous car, a 97 Acura CL 2.2 died on me... This was my first manual transmission car and I won't be going back. I learned how to drive manual at work and I've always wanted one, so I got this. :D I'm very happy. It doesn't have a lot of horsepower (135hp) but it sure as hell puts it down well. Gets decent mileage and corners super fantastic. I love taking it through canyon roads...
    Not only that, it hauls all my gear and more with ease! It consumes all.

I plan on getting an older BMW Z3 M someday. I want the non convertible weird hatchback alien thing. Those are awesome. Had a chance to drive a few at work and they feel so amazing.
    :D
    I have a huge list of cars that I'd like to own someday. Expensive, not, etc. I find that a lot of cars have personalities and even the cheap economy class cars can be insane fun. I love it.

8. thealexkelley

thealexkelley SS.org Regular

There's not enough red cars or any SUV's in this thread so here you go.

[​IMG]
    This is my '92 Corvette that my dad bought for me when I was born, cars have always been a big deal in my family and he'd been planning since high school, and also my '07 Hummer H3. Yes I barely get 14MPG... on a good day

[​IMG]
    This was during prom and I cared more about my car than my date, it's pretty much perfect with only 4,500 miles on it considering its 20 years old

[​IMG]

and this is christmas at my place every year, when my grandparents match my dad and I with 3 red hummers. My grandpa bought it as a joke when he heard my dad freaking out over the special edition (only like 1400 in bright red in '04 and '07, both are '04's) and now my grandma drives it too. I thought about trading my H3 in but the only thing I really wanted was a evo x and figured out the gas would be the same and I'd probably get more speeding tickets.

9. Guamskyy

Guamskyy Hwat you call me?

My ride:

[​IMG]

04 Infiniti G35 Sedan, 102k miles on it. About 260 hp and 260 ft lbs torque running on stock 17" rims. My first RWD car, and it's hella fun to slide :)

10. pero

pero makes his own bacon

I`m a huge fan of Italian cars,
    this is my daily drive, an Alfa Romeo GT Coupe

[​IMG]

and this is my project car, a Fiat Uno. I`m currently taking it apart and rebuilding everything into a new chassis. If all goes well I`m gonna be doing some hillclimb racing next season after a three years break

[​IMG]

11. Riffer

Riffer PRS SE Inspector

My toy.....:metal:

ZEBOV likes this.
  12. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

13. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

It's about fucking time, Riffer.

That's a running sumbitch :yesway:

14. AndrewG716

AndrewG716 GearwhoreInTraining

This is in my future:

[​IMG]

15. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

I've heard really good things about those. They're definitely not super fast but I hear they're amazing driver's cars. I'm considering one for my next car.

16. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Yeah if they put a 2.0 turbo in that thing like the one in my GTI it would be sweet. 300+ ft-lb of torque would make it so much more fun.

17. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

The 2.0 boxer is a pretty sweet motor I'm reading. May only be about 200 HP, but great response.

18. squid-boy

squid-boy SS.org Regular

You're telling me. I had a Smart car rear-end me at 80km/h while I was at a complete stop for 10-15 seconds. They are decimators.

That supercharged '78 Camaro made me wet myself a little bit. In a good way.

19. sahaal

sahaal SS.org Regular

Build up the tranny, then twin turbos, twin cp3s, bigger injectors, FASS fuel pump, head studs and other shit like that, EFILive!!! Boost elbow, BHAF (Big honkin air filter), 5 inch turbo back, etc etc. Basically what me and my buddy have done to his 08, minus the 10 inches of lift and 40s :p I need to get a job so I can buy myself one, a 5.9l though

20. wilch

wilch SS.org Regular

Here are some photos I've taken of mine and my partner's cars. We actually met at a Skyline Australia Show N' Shine event in 2005. 7 years later and we're still together.

My 1990 Mazda Roadster (miata) - supercharged with all supporting mods
    [​IMG]

...screams like a banchee
    [​IMG]

My partner's Boxster (2.7L manual)
    [​IMG]

...and here she is powering down the straight at Eastern Creek International Raceway here in Sydney
    [​IMG]

My R33 Skyline with GT30R turbo, 770cc nismo injectors, built engine etc etc etc
    [​IMG]

...and wearing an East Bear vented carbon fibre hood for track days
    [​IMG]

it's a good thing I don't gig anymore. None of our cars fit any of my gear. Even had to borrow a car to pick up my recent 7 string purchase!

texshred777 likes this.