The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

I love those VW's ....but you gonna get smoked :lol:

2. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

My car, a '73 Roadrunner, along with the my dad's 70 which is mid restoration.

Attached Files:

3. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

They're technically not in my class, but they will be on the track at the same time. I'm more curious than anything - especially since I am considering buying a Corvette in a year or 2. I drove a C6 Grand Sport for a few hours last weekend and it was a blast, ridiculously great car for $55k.

4. scherzo1928

scherzo1928 has wood for you

Already let this one go. Changed for a normal 5 door Focus.
    [​IMG]

And uh...
    [​IMG]
    Soon enough...

5. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

My current ride:

[​IMG]

BMW e46 M3

Dehumanized likes this.
  6. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

Ah, the Ford Martin DB-Fusion.

7. SuperMutant

SuperMutant Banned

[​IMG]

Best car in history... To bad its more expensive than what I could afford, I want a R33 but I don't know where I could find one here.

8. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Snaaaake!!!"

^Was waiting for someone to post the R34. Mmmm.

9. troyguitar

Never got into the Nissan stuff, I don't want all of that technology.

The main contender for my next car besides the Corvette is a supercharged Lotus Elise. Simple and perfect - it doesn't even have power steering!

I suppose this is the thread where I can lament the decline of the manual transmission too. Porsche 911 Turbo S = automatic only! WTF? If I wanted race car performance I'd buy a race car, not a street car. Give me the damn manual, it is slightly slower but way more fun. That is what I like in a street car: fun. Which means driving the damn thing myself even if a computer is 0.2 seconds faster than me 0-60.

10. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

^You can't really complain about Porsche as they are the mass production only company that offers manuals on almost all of their vehicles in the US.

11. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I think that a lot of it has to do with practicality, DCT and the like allow you to have a car that you can use as a daily driver even if you live in areas with horrendous traffic (living in DC means I will never own a stick as my DD) and also with the added benefit of being able to get faster and more consistent shifts than with a stick making them even faster on the track (the technology was developped for F1 cars to enable shifting without having to step off of the accelerator)
    The idea of your performance car being a useful DD has been a big selling point as of late and you see a lot of cars trying to fit that market (M Series, AMG, Porsche 911 hell even the GT-R)

With that said, I can understand why a lot of people who are married to the idea of a stick being the "true connection" to a car would be frustrated, but that is at least the perspective that I can see it from and in someways this could be seen from the whole "tube amps and a 4x12 cab vs direct axefx" thing that has been going on.

12. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

Whats this about??? I haven't heard anything like this what's the debate???:ugh:

13. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

[​IMG]

It's pretty much exactly what I wanted. Time to start modifying :evil:

14. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

I used to be all about the manual gearbox, particularly in a performance minded vehicle. Now, driving through traffic all the damn time, give me the flappy paddle gear box. After using one they're actually pretty fun.

15. troyguitar

Yeah I realize that I am a dinosaur at this point :lol: Unfortunately, unlike with tube amps, no one is making relatively high quality options at affordable prices anymore. The Elise is one of the cheapest (and only, even the 911 has power steering now) pure cars one can purchase and it starts at like $60k new.

I find that the manual gives me something to do besides fall asleep in traffic though - I never understood the "Manual is too hard in traffic" idea. They've been using them for decades in crowded European cities that make the worst American traffic look like a dream and I've had mine in NYC, Boston, and Detroit traffic with no issues.

16. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Granted, Kansas City traffic is probably nothing compared to Boston or Detroit, but I've driven my big ass, heavy fucking truck (with a diesel, and a manual) in rush hour traffic quite a few times, and didn't have a problem.

My truck stops quicker by downshifting while braking anyways :shrug:

.... especially when I have the exhaust brake on.

17. MrPepperoniNipples

MrPepperoniNipples SS.org Regular

I have a whole bunch of cars:

[​IMG]

18. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I guess because I am so used to automatics it is just one less thing to have to deal with in traffic, I don't even like using the manual mode on my DCT in traffic hahah. Traffic sucks and I just want to zone out and have it be over with you know? You are right about europeans though, and I bet if I only ever had a stick I probably wouldn't complain about it in traffic either.

19. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

I currently drive a manual, and it's not a problem, even in traffic. Automatic mode + manual mode with paddle shifting is more like a best of both worlds for me. I do agree that it's sad that some sports cars don't even get the option for a stick sucks. Sporty car with pure automatic(no manual mode) would be a fail for me.

20. MJS

MJS .

You've got Nolly now... just tell him to follow you around and take pictures of anything you point at. Then, if you're not happy with the pictures he's taking, just tell him to sell some of his gear to buy better equipment. :idea:

They were okay back in the old days, before everyone started steering with their knees so their hands could be doing important stuff like texting, eating, playing air guitar and defending against the air bag when rear ending people from doing those other things. :D