The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

NateFalcon likes this.
  2. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

6CA48FBF-98A6-40EB-93D3-7595D5D7DF27.jpeg 8D35189B-3A65-4D20-AF79-C51F16F9AA1C.jpeg No...that’s fun.These 952 Porsche’s are scary...I do a lot of fab work on euro-sleds, indy’s etc...these are spooky to drive!!

3. shadscbr

shadscbr SS.org Regular

^^ So cool!! Looking at those orange racks, i'm hoping this is what my Home Depot looks like in the afterlife :)

NateFalcon likes this.
  4. NateFalcon

9FF2CA79-0EE0-41C0-8F28-9D12EE00300C.jpeg 5754C385-3877-4CA3-B77A-F87658676F79.jpeg Here’s my buddy’s personal Mugen-powered Formula 1 (wheels off, on rollers)...never been wrecked (rare) with only about a dozen practice laps on it...the engine alone is worth a couple million. Mugen factory motors are next to impossible for even the richest guys to get their hands on...this is a beautiful car. I wish this stuff were mine, but it’s still a lot of fun working on ‘em!

5. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Holy crap all those cars are awesome!!!

6. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Haven't had it for long, but I'll try to get some videos filmed. I actually wrote this super in-depth comparison to the 488 since it's the last car that I had and the one I traded in for the R8. As far as comparing it to the 911, it's actually more similar than it is different in a daily setting, except the 911 I had was way more incognito and understated (which I loved, though that changed a bit when I had it wrapped bright blue haha). They both have awesome AWD systems, but they handle and feel a little different when you push them. The 4 wheel steering on the 911 really helps it feel sharp, and the way the turbos rush in make it feel so damn fast. That car launches like nothing else honestly. The cabin on the R8 though is probably the coolest thing ever, especially with the Virtual Cockpit. I really feel like the R8 is the beautiful middle ground between a high end 911 and something like the 488. Owning a supercar is a pain but the performance is awesome, sports cars are easy to live with but don't excite like a supercar. I feel like the R8 straddles that line beautifully.

I might as well paste that write up here in case anyone is interested in some thoughts between the 488 and R8:

This is a long post, so here goes:

I haven't had the R8 for a day even yet, so my thoughts are very preliminary. I did get a chance to open up a different R8 on a test drive on some twisty roads, so I do have a little context.

With that said, let's start with the areas the Ferrari is definitely better: 1. The sensation of speed. The R8 is very fast, but the 488 feels a little faster under full acceleration, likely due to the turbos and extra torque, and the way it kicks in is very unique because it's mapped to increase through the gears. Interesting note is that it seems they are neck and neck in an actual drag race.

1. The handling on the 488 is the best I have yet to experience. But Mid Engine and Rear Wheel drive is the perfect combo for the best turn in, and Ferraris are designed to have incredible handling. The R8 seems to have slightly less sharp steering, and is definitely a touch understeer prone. But this is nitpicking, it's still supercar handling, if the 488 is 10/10 the R8 is 9/10.

2. The ride. Bumpy road mode on the Ferrari is a bit of engineering witchcraft. It actually soaks up the bumps beautifully. The R8 V10 Plus doesn't have adjustable damping. With that said the ride is good for what it is, but the Ferrari's can be better.

3. The Emotion. This is a hard category to describe, and is perhaps a reason why no matter what Ferrari does, people will likely always love them. Even though I have more than my fair share of qualms with the brand, I love the 488. It makes me feel feelings when I open the car up. When I sat in the seat I sometimes wondered if I should keep it after all. This is an intangible, it's the culmination of everything, but the 488 is the single most exciting car I have ever driven. More than the Turbo S, more than the GT3RS, more than the 570GT, more than the R8. This is where the car is purely Italian, and in this category I want Italian.
    With that said, the R8 is better in pretty much every other category:

1. Brakes. I always felt the brakes felt wooden on the 488, and apparently I'm not the only one. I thought it was strange because both cars are carbon ceramic, but this car brakes so much more confidently and you don't need to stand on the pedal to get what you need from it. Also the 488's brakes would squeak like crazy and would chirp a lot which was annoying.

2. The sound. The 488 actually sounds great, but god a high revving NA v10 with the valves open just sounds plain better.

3. The Quattro system. I live in the Northeast and it's been a cold winter. It's still cold. The fact that this AWD system works the way it does means that this car grips and launches even when the weather isn't Cali weather.

4. The Interior and Tech. God the Virtual Cockpit is cool. The interior of the 488 is unique and kinda exotic, maybe feels special in it's own way, but the R8's interior is just so much more inviting and comfortable. The seats are super comfy, and it's very easy to get a great driving position.

5. The NA response. I know the 488 was tuned to have no turbo lag, and it really doesn't, but there is still something more immediate about how the R8 responds, it sorts "snaps" and the AWD is so welcome in those moments. It's so easy to use this power in quick bursts in real world driving without upsetting the balance of the car.

6. Living with the car. This is probably the predictable category but it's a big one. NO TRICKLE CHARGER NEEDED IF YOU LEAVE IT FOR A WEEK! Much less parking anxiety! Shorter doors and it's not super wide so it's easy to park and get in and out of. It doesn't attract nearly as much attention. Man this is a big one for me. This is DEFINITELY a lot more daily friendly even if the frunk is hilariously small. The reverse camera is placed in a normal position and actually shows you a useful image. The infotainment system is full featured and intuitive. You have normal stalk controls like on a normal car! YOU CAN PUT GUILT FREE MILES ON THE CAR AND AUDI WONT ROLL BACK YOUR MILES!!

7. The costs. Even if the 488 comes with 7 years of free maintenance and 3 years of warranty, the insurance was about double the cost, and the parts on the car are probably 3-4 times the price of the equivalent R8 costs.

8. The sound system. I'm not even that picky about sound, I'm not an audiophile. With that said the 488 had maybe the single worst sound system I have ever heard in a car. I didn't have the JBL system, but I heard that the 5k system in that car made it only the second worst system I would ever hear. The Bang and Olufsen system in the R8 isn't groundbreaking, but I dig the way it sounds, it's definitely good enough for me to enjoy, and it's easily a thousand times better than either of the 488's systems.

9. The luxury and quality. God the cabin is just so much nicer on the R8. The build quality of everything is just so much better. The 488 was brand new and had a driver's side door mirror that shook and weird bumps on the dashboard. "It's an Italian car" they say. "It's a Ferrari" they say. Well in Germany, you would get fired for allowing those things to pass. The inside of the car looks like a luxury coupe's interior. The design is very elegant, understated and functional. Very German, and in this category, I want German.
    Here are things that are on par with both cars:

1. Transmission. Both cars have the quickest dual clutch shifting I have experienced. I don't know that it can be faster. You feel the paddle click, and the gear has changed. The Ferrari can be super dramatic in Race mode, but the Audi is the smoothest. That's down to taste. I'd say Ferrari in Auto mode seems to be a touch better than the Audi at picking gears, very PDK like in that quality, but both shift quicker than PDK.

2. Fuel Economy, I haven't done a direct comparison, but the stats list them as comparable. The 488 doesn't even tell your your mpg, just your range. If I shifted my own gears (it short shifts like crazy in auto mode) that range tanked haha. I'm sure it's the same with the v10 in the R8.

3. Cabin Space. Both cars have surprisingly roomy cabins, you definitely don't feel claustrophobic in either, it's actually kind of impressive.

4. Driving position. Both cars you would imagine have great driving positions. I'd actually give Audi the slight edge here, but that's nitpicking. I found I was always adjusting the 488's steering wheel, and the best position always blocked my view of the turn signals. But both are still fantastic.

5. The engine in the back. There is just something about seeing an engine under a glass cover. Absolutely gorgeous. Makes the car sound great, makes the car handle great. Super impractical for normal people, and totally worth it. Love that that R8 V10 Plus comes with a Carbon Fiber bay standard. That's a 12k option on the 488, which mine didn't have.

6. The actual drivability of both cars. Even though the 488 seemed a lot more intimidating to drive, if you got past that and drove it around in auto mode, it was surprisingly civilized and normal to just drive around. Both cars have better than expected ground clearance, though the 488's overhang makes it a bit more likely to scrape on sharp angles. The R8 obviously rules in this category as well, it just seems a lot more normal. In fact, if you were just driving the car around not knowing what it was, you might assume it's just a 2 seater luxury car. Either way, both of these are shockingly good here.
    Anyways, that's my little essay and those are my thoughts!

TheShreddinHand, zarg and shadscbr like this.
  7. NateFalcon

Thanks, I’m stoked for you!! rear-engines have a fun throw in the corners...keep us posted

8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

how's dealing with the r8 as a daily driver compared to the Ferrari.
    ferrari insurance premiums are notorious for capping your driving limit.

9. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I wrote this in the write up, but the R8 is a TON easier to live with. Didn't have driving limits with my insurance, but it was more than double the cost with the 488.

TheShreddinHand likes this.
  10. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Thanks Misha, awesome write up and really appreciate it. I just have the S4 for now, but the wife knows once the kids are schooled and out of college, it's gonna be game on for a supercar! haha!

11. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Well for what it's worth, the S4 is a sick car, and by the time you are in the market, supercars will be even better!!

12. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

For sure! I actually look forward to my commute to and from work because it's just that fun to drive but still comfortable. Looking forward to the crappy weather ending so I can hit some non-potholed empty roads soon! If I'm ever in the NOVA/DC area I'm hitting you up Misha to hit some back roads!

13. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

list of things already ordered for the 2018 Driving Season
    - new Fortune 500 coilover suspension
    - AWR race car camber adjuster bits and bushings
    - Perfect Tuning multifunction gauge, which will let me fulfill a lifelong dream of having an actual "Danger to Manifold" warning pop up on my dashboard
    - Haltech wideband O2 & EGT controllers

debating going for a full 3" turboback stainless exhaust... need to fix that anyway cuz the existing one is leaky as fuck and might actually kill me, if I could go on a long enough drive without running out of gas. car still only got 10mpg after tune :(

wannabguitarist and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  14. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

caught a decent one on a fun backroad run
    [​IMG]

15. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I’m not typically an Audi fan; but that color and wheel combo just works in magnificent ways. Stunner

16. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

F*ck that's sexy!!

17. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Just... "yes"... :D

18. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Finally got my shocks back from Ohlins USA. The guy that rebuilt and revalved them last year screwed them up and the car rode like shit (rear skipped a lot). I thought everything was fine until I rode in my friends car with an identical setup on track and his S2000 didn't feel like it was trying to kill us :lol:. Even after Ohlins confirmed the valving was bad the original shop refused to refund me, but whatever. I'll chalk it up to a couple hundred dollar learning experience. Just happy to have the car handling as it should.
    [​IMG]

I also added a set of Sakebomb Garage's lower cup to the rear shocks. These will allow me to run extra preload in the rear without increasing my ride height. Additional preload increases the amount of travel before bump stop contact=better ride and more predictable handling. The old Ohlins cups have now been regulated to guitar tech work :lol:
    [​IMG]

shadscbr, EverDream and NateFalcon like this.
  19. NateFalcon

Make guitar wall hangers out of the old cups...

20. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Great idea! I'd have to figure out how to do that without modifying the cups permanently. If I ever part the car out or try a different setup Ohlins resale is much better with the original bits.

NateFalcon likes this.