The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I think that my E46 M3 is among the greatest sports cars ever made. It’s not over the top at 333 bhp, but it’s fast and balanced. The 6 speed manual transmission has tight, quick throws into gear; and brings a smile to my face when I take it for a spin. I have a 2016 335i M sport as well, which is cool, but electronic steering kills the feel. Plus I love that my M3 has a dipstick for checking oil; I hate relying on the electronic sensor from my previous E90, and now this 335.
    I have considered selling the E46 to make room for something wild like a GT3; but that would probably be best utilized at a track, and I’d be way more worried about driving it around town.

ddtonfire and Furtive Glance like this.
  2. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Snaaaake!!!"

The E46 M3 was my dream car for a good portion of high school.

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

you legit have the best car ever made.
    I'd learn to drive stick just for that car. Good condition ones are getting harder to find. But that's a car I'd definitely want for collection purposes. and the original 360 modena spyder.

do you have the runflats on your 335? worst tires ever made.
    The 335 is almost faster in a straight line then the e46 but it feels like a family car made to go fast. the e46 m3 feels like a legit race car.

4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I took the run flats off right away. They’re heavy and ride like shit. And yes, when you engage the sport mode on the 335 it does probably go faster in a straight line, but forget about feeling the ass end of the car taking high speed turns, even with the M sport package. The Real M on the other hand; just murders corners. I can slip the rear out at anytime and feel completely in control. I put a full titanium exhaust (‘53 telecaster money there lol) on it like 5 years ago; and I don’t believe I’ve turned the radio on since :lol:

5. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Electric steering is sh*t!! You can't feel anything, when you go over a bumpy road the wheels goes left & right and constantly need ajustements making every journey quite stressful... But they are cheaper, lighter and because you don't need a pump, more economical (or more power for the engine).

6. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

The EPS in my decade old car is actually pretty great. Bad EPS systems are bad, but this blanket "EPS is shit!" stuff is just purists clinging to old tech.

The constantly needing adjustments over bumpy roads is not an EPS issue. Sounds like that car potentially has alignment or suspension problems that should get looked at.

7. dr_game0ver

Nope! The problem is that the system doesn't offer enough resistance to keep the wheels straight, so you end up driving like a character from a 50' movie.

Good for you! I will fully admit that i haven't tried on more higher end cars but on entry level, it is a complete disaster. It is like making love with a strap-on blindfolded. You get no informations on the surface or the grip. I've played arcade games that gives you a better, more realistic feeling than that...

8. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

No... it is more likely you have an alignment issue. This is a safety problem and unless your car is Russian, it won't have come like this from the factory.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4

Driving into a parking curb too hard could throw off your caster. Not enough positive caster will make your steering very light and require constant adjustments to keep driving straight

9. dr_game0ver

...you know on a normal car, the steering is really light at low speed, like on a parking, and becomes harder as the speed increased, like the BMW system, well here, it stays soft all the time.

You know what it's like? When you go off road on a big ol' truck with big ol' wheels, and the steering is all over the place? It's like that!
    And no it is not an alignment problem, it is just a crap system.

10. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Can confirm, some cars' EPS ... reeeeeally bad ... I drove a 2005 Malibu when it was brand new, and it made a 90 degree turn out of the blue at 30 mph, on a perfectly flat road. Yeah, those were recalled.

My new-ish Subaru has given me ZERO issues though. 2015 was the first year they stopped using rack & pinion steering on the Legacy, apparently they were just waiting until the EPS was 'right', and I would say it retains about 90% of the feel of the 2014 I also test drove, before I bought the 2016.

11. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Yay NCD!
    [​IMG]

nikt, ddtonfire, NateFalcon and 4 others like this.
  12. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Did you trade the Ferrari and the S3 for this, did you keep the S3 as a runaround, or are you starting a collection?

13. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Nah traded the 488 for this, kept the S3 as my daily because it's such a killer little car. It's funny, I was telling someone earlier but I have never been a huge Audi guy, I never thought I would own one, let alone two hahah.

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  14. zarg

zarg guitar and computer nerd

damn, congrats man. very purdy. Do you have the optional sports exhaust? those things sound absolutely mental. No need for an aftermarket exhaust. I assume its the regular quattro model, not the RWS? or is it? :wag:
    I assume Tosin made you think about one?

15. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

It's the v10 plus so the sport's exhaust is standard, and yeah it already sounds insane with the valves open! Yeah it's the Quattro. I knew Tosin loved the R8 but he has the Gen 1, this is the Gen 2.

zarg likes this.
  16. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

Congrats Mish. That blue though... I'll be in my bunk.

17. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Congrats Misha! Would be awesome if after you've had some time with it you give a comparison of this vs. the 911. And videos would be awesome too!

18. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

B2A74CF0-4F13-44E8-89D6-9920B2621B66.jpeg Here’s a cool Lola Ford I finished fabbing the exhaust for...330 horses at the wheels and about 875lbs!!...ferociously fast...

shadscbr likes this.
  19. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

20. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

Man, that is seriously cool!