The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, I've googled this a fair bit and seems like there's a bunch of options for what could be causing the problem. As far as I can tell, the second fuse box doesn't contain any heating-related fuses, but I might as well check that anyway. There is a fuse for recirculated air / AC, but my car doesn't have AC and the recirculated air works, so that can't really be it, I guess.
    The actual heater fan is apparently located behind the glove compartment, along with its resistor, so I guess I'll start with taking those out and plugging a 9V battery into the fan to see if it works, and if it does, then I'll measure the resistor with a multimeter to see if that's broken. If both of those are intact, then the problem pretty much has to be in the switch, and I don't know how difficult that will be to replace. Probably not that bad. Or it could be a broken or corroded power cable somewhere, I guess.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  2. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Blah, more funny things with the car :lol: The wires going from the gear stick to the transmission snapped, so it won't go into gear anymore :( So we towed the car to our friends' garage, and they'll fix it, I just hope it won't be expensive. They've still got my mother in law's old Focus that's going to be scrapped standing in their yard, so at least the parts will be coming from that. They'll fix the heater too, so after that, hopefully it'll be Ok until I trade the whole car for a newer one...

3. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Could be worse bro... took my car into the shop for a full standalone engine management system. Our baseline pass was 207whp at 9psi of boost, which were phenomenal numbers... but it turns out my car had low fuel pressure and was running a very lean AF, 14:1, in a boosted rotary which typically should run between 10.5 and 11.5.

So we compression tested it, and it turns out I have a bad apex seal. Really it's a miracle the car ran at all, but this is a major bummer. I'm revising my power goal up (way up); if the motor is going to be in pieces anyways, I'm going to go for lightweight, balanced rotors and a huge street port so I can make good power all the way to 8,500rpm. I'm running 320 treadwear, 255 width tire so I think 250whp will do for this year, in a 2,700 pound car. Next year... maybe 350 at the wheels.

I hate cars, but damn do I love them too. The Tesla Roadster unveil just highlights that gas powered cars really are on their last legs. I'm glad I bought the RX-7, but I wish it wasn't a piece of shit. The most Italian car Japan ever made....

wannabguitarist likes this.
  4. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Snaaaake!!!"

I think that's the official motto of every rotary fan I know, haha.

narad likes this.
  5. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, could be worse for sure. My car's fixed now, the problem was that the transmission wires had snapped, as I suspected. The wires on the old focus were too rusty, so I had to buy new ones and the repair ended up costing 350€... But hey, at least the car feels awesome to drive now, the gear stick used to be quite stiff and now it feels like driving a brand new car :) I also didn't have a spare tire, and now I got one from the old focus. Oh and they fixed the heater as well - again, as I suspected, the switch was broken.

So now the car is in pretty good shape. I drove about 400km this weekend and it seems to be pretty fuel efficient too - I put 47l (about 12 gallons) of petrol into it on Friday and the fuel gauge didn't even nudge during the whole drive. I'm used to spending about half a tank on that trip :lol:

6. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

tfw when you get your motor completely rebuilt with all new parts and your super exuberant, happy, optimistic mechanic says "yeah man it'll be a great build, it'll last you like

five or six years"

#rotarylife

I shoulda paid way more up front and got a left hand drive FD. or maybe just traded in my truck and gotten a Golf R