The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, I've googled this a fair bit and seems like there's a bunch of options for what could be causing the problem. As far as I can tell, the second fuse box doesn't contain any heating-related fuses, but I might as well check that anyway. There is a fuse for recirculated air / AC, but my car doesn't have AC and the recirculated air works, so that can't really be it, I guess.
    The actual heater fan is apparently located behind the glove compartment, along with its resistor, so I guess I'll start with taking those out and plugging a 9V battery into the fan to see if it works, and if it does, then I'll measure the resistor with a multimeter to see if that's broken. If both of those are intact, then the problem pretty much has to be in the switch, and I don't know how difficult that will be to replace. Probably not that bad. Or it could be a broken or corroded power cable somewhere, I guess.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  2. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Blah, more funny things with the car :lol: The wires going from the gear stick to the transmission snapped, so it won't go into gear anymore :( So we towed the car to our friends' garage, and they'll fix it, I just hope it won't be expensive. They've still got my mother in law's old Focus that's going to be scrapped standing in their yard, so at least the parts will be coming from that. They'll fix the heater too, so after that, hopefully it'll be Ok until I trade the whole car for a newer one...

3. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Could be worse bro... took my car into the shop for a full standalone engine management system. Our baseline pass was 207whp at 9psi of boost, which were phenomenal numbers... but it turns out my car had low fuel pressure and was running a very lean AF, 14:1, in a boosted rotary which typically should run between 10.5 and 11.5.

So we compression tested it, and it turns out I have a bad apex seal. Really it's a miracle the car ran at all, but this is a major bummer. I'm revising my power goal up (way up); if the motor is going to be in pieces anyways, I'm going to go for lightweight, balanced rotors and a huge street port so I can make good power all the way to 8,500rpm. I'm running 320 treadwear, 255 width tire so I think 250whp will do for this year, in a 2,700 pound car. Next year... maybe 350 at the wheels.

I hate cars, but damn do I love them too. The Tesla Roadster unveil just highlights that gas powered cars really are on their last legs. I'm glad I bought the RX-7, but I wish it wasn't a piece of shit. The most Italian car Japan ever made....

smokiekouki and wannabguitarist like this.
  4. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Snaaaake!!!"

I think that's the official motto of every rotary fan I know, haha.

narad likes this.
  5. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, could be worse for sure. My car's fixed now, the problem was that the transmission wires had snapped, as I suspected. The wires on the old focus were too rusty, so I had to buy new ones and the repair ended up costing 350€... But hey, at least the car feels awesome to drive now, the gear stick used to be quite stiff and now it feels like driving a brand new car :) I also didn't have a spare tire, and now I got one from the old focus. Oh and they fixed the heater as well - again, as I suspected, the switch was broken.

So now the car is in pretty good shape. I drove about 400km this weekend and it seems to be pretty fuel efficient too - I put 47l (about 12 gallons) of petrol into it on Friday and the fuel gauge didn't even nudge during the whole drive. I'm used to spending about half a tank on that trip :lol:

6. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

tfw when you get your motor completely rebuilt with all new parts and your super exuberant, happy, optimistic mechanic says "yeah man it'll be a great build, it'll last you like

five or six years"

#rotarylife

I shoulda paid way more up front and got a left hand drive FD. or maybe just traded in my truck and gotten a Golf R

7. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Thinking about getting a used 2017 Audi S3 as a second/winter friendly car.

Test drove a ‘15 and loved it but I want dat virtual cockpit and adaptive cruise haha.

Anyone here have one? Thoughts?

8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

It's a fun car.
    Audi's fwd biased awd is what it is.
    The 2017 is super powerful. But it's a tiny tiny car for the price.
    I think the wrx is still the more fun car to drive. Cockpit of the audi is nicer tho.

My personal favorite in that size is the benz gla43 amg though. That car is just so silly. I almost pulled the trigger on it for my wife but she hated how small the car was. Ended up buying her a C instead.

xzacx likes this.
  9. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Love this car - it's what I have in the back of my mind to look at first for my next one. I'm a small car kind of person - in and out of the city too much for something much bigger - I haven't driven one yet, but looks just perfect for what I want.

10. shadscbr

shadscbr SS.org Regular

Big +1 on AMG...and you have to try a used AWD Tesla, the instant torque is addictive :)

11. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

I sat in one after test driving a 2017 A4 and 2015 S4 and also felt that the 3 was too small. Really sweet looking car but was a little too small for me and I’m only 5-10.

12. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

I drove a 2017 Nissan GTR Premium a couple of months ago. For the past few years I’ve had a 2016 scat pack challenger, so similar power levels as the GTR.

The biggest difference would be the grip the GTR has on the pulls, definitely lean you back in the seat a bit. With proper tires my scat pack pulls almost as hard though, I dunno the grip difference/all wheel drive is next level.

The GTR is all about modding though, who wants a stock GTR. Drop the extra $60k and get like 2000hp or something dumb :)

I’m leaning towards maybe $28k in mods for like 1,000hp on pump gas.

PS- GTRs are quite compact inside for me anyway, 6’1”...will still buy one though haha.

13. TheShreddinHand

Stock GTR should be helluva lot quicker than a scat pack. Isn’t like 2.9 vs 4.2 for the 0-60 times? And of course grip like u mentioned

In other news, on my way to get my S4 now!!

14. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

I’m sure it is faster off the line no doubt, but the pulls in random gears while driving felt similar. Honestly, they tamed them down quite a bit in the last few models. Paddle shifting it felt pretty damn good though. Them downshifts:)

Sorry, my challenger has drag radials in the rear, should have mentioned.

15. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I drove the S4 and S5 as well as the S3, I liked the S4, but it wasn't as fun to drive as the S3 and didn't feel as sporty. Honestly the S3 is more than enough space for what I need. The S5 I was actually pretty disappointed with, the engine was cool, but the car felt heavy and I absolutely hated the steering. The S3 really blew me away with how genuinely fun it was to drive and how nimble and quick on it's feet it felt.

16. TheShreddinHand

Sweet! I’ve never driven either of them so I really can’t talk, haha!

Awesome! I really really like the looks of the S3 and did want it but with 2 kids and needing more trunk space it just didn’t make sense for me personally. You only need to throw a couple guitars in the back so you’re set Misha! . Ill try and get some pictures of my S4 up this weekend. Loving it so far! Much more comfortable than my 335 was and feels quicker too.

17. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

heart Audis. the S4 is by far the best lookin of the small German cars right now... not crazy about the new Mercedes, even with the AMG appearance package and the BMW 3 series is handsome outside but the interior is so, so bad

RX-7 engine rebuild is done, dyno tuning it today. Ended up having to get two new housings, but all the rest of the parts were basically mint. It was a weird build, previous owner probably put it together in his backyard and he did it wrong... very wrong. It was amazing the car ran at all, honestly. Got a mild street port on it, fixed some exhaust leaks, full standalone engine management system, some bigger fuel injectors... should be up like 80whp on the stock car with any luck.

narad likes this.
  18. shadscbr

shadscbr SS.org Regular

The Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio might be worth a look...and it's Maranello related :)

19. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

lmao so like an hour after I posted this, the motor lost compression. we built it with aftermarket apex seals instead of OEM mazda ones... they've been run with great success on some cars, but not mine. at least the aftermarket seals don't fail catastrophically, destroying housings, like the Mazda ones do... just gotta pull the motor and rebuild, y'know, nbd

never forget
    [​IMG]

at least it never, ever left the shop that built it, so they are covering all the repair work but damn do I ever feel bad for the guy. he never pushed the tune even slightly and the seals still melted down... they must have been improperly made

the power curve was awesome though. 210whp and it made peak torque for just over 2,000rpm, before the closed loop boost control was even dialed in. with that the turbo should spool a couple hundred rpm sooner so (gasp!) I'll have a rotary that actually makes some torque when all is said and done