The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Here are a couple crappy cell phone pics, I'll try to take some proper ones soon.
    Of course it started raining pretty much as soon as I picked it up haha.

IMG_4482.JPG IMG_4483.JPG

I had been thinking powdercoating the wheels Satin black, partially because I didn't know how the stock wheels would work. Seeing it now I actually think they definitely work well with the finish, so now I'm torn, what do you guys think?

nikt, sakeido, pylyo and 5 others like this.
  2. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

3. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Damn, son.

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

nice what did you actually get? model and specs and options? That's a 991.1 right.

5. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

New car day!

Traded in my 2013 Charger R/T with the Road And Track Package for a 2017 Charger R/T 392 Scat Pack with the Super Track Pak in "Green Go"... in-love!!
    IMG_6320.JPG IMG_6321.JPG IMG_6322.JPG

sakeido, shadscbr and M3CHK1LLA like this.
  6. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Nice one dude!
    It's indeed a 991.1 and it's a Turbo S

Joose likes this.
  7. diagrammatiks

nice. those are going for great prices now. never specced out one of those...
    a lot of the options are standard right?
    pdk, sport chrono, adjustable pasm, and sport exhaust?

One of my neighbors just got a 718 in that color. It is so sick. The color. meh on the 718.

8. shadscbr

shadscbr SS.org Regular

Love the blue and the green...congrats to all!! :)

Joose likes this.
  9. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Yeah the idea behind the S variant is that it would have all the features but be cheaper than a fully loaded Turbo and they give you a touch more hp/torque.

So with the Turbo S you get Sport chrono, carbon ceramic brakes, pdcc, torque vectoring, 4 wheel steering, 18 way seats all as standard. The options I have on mine I think are ventilated seats and the moonroof haha. It's a shockingly comfortable everyday car especially considering that it can do 0-60 in 2.8!

As far as the color goes, it's actually slightly lighter than the Miami Blue you are talking about, which is also a blue I absolutely love. I took those pics minutes before it started raining so the color was definitely darker.

10. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Tint makes everything better!
    IMG_6358.JPG IMG_6357.JPG

11. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

That looks sick dude!! Love the color!

Joose likes this.
  12. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

@bulb and @Joose repping wonderful retina searing colors. The world needs more bright cars

Pulled my hardtop out of storage today to buff and restore the clear coat. Was planning on putting it up for sale but now that it's back on the car I'm having second thoughts.
    [​IMG]

I'm considering a wrap instead of respray (phone camera hides the issues). Mexico blue or a deep shade of green are the current front runners.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  13. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Thank you, sir! Bright colors on cars are the best, as you already know with that unbelievably purdy Turbo S. That wrap came out perfect.

14. diagrammatiks

The torque vectoring is super nice. That wasn't an option yet on my c2s that year, I don't think.
    Sweet ride. The last turbo S i got to drive was the last 997 that came out and that was already balls to the wall crazy.
    I feel you on the exhaust change on the turbos though. Did you ask on reenlist for opinions yet? I'd like to know too :)

15. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Damn Misha, gorgeous!

Joose, freakin' love that green. And the scat pack has to be the best deal around for the power you get. If I didn't live in the rustbelt I'd get one of those. Although, maybe winter tires would get me through. I'd debadge the back though! :agreed:

Joose likes this.
  16. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Qualifying my statement above regarding the best deal on the scat pack and the power you get for the price as it pertains to 4-door sedans!

17. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

sick color! that 991 body style is so sick. Porsche finally perfected it after all these years. and personally I'd be stoked to have one of the very few vehicles that can take a Tesla off the line :lol:

my 2 cents even though the factory wheels look good I'd still get an aftermarket set just to get yourself apart from the crowd.. then you can keep the factory rims for winter or track use or something. I don't think your winters in DC get all that rough but real deal summer tires lose a ton of traction in cold weather, below +5 celsius or so and even Pilot Super Sports are not something you wanna be driving on in bad conditions

only thing with the 991, the handling is so dialed in I wouldn't want to change anything about my wheels and tires. I wouldn't be looking to go for a lower offset for a more flush or poke look because it'll fuck with it too much.. wheel shopping is not quite as fun when you are just looking for direct replacements.

18. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Thanks dude,
    And yeah I can't agree more, I love the car as my daily, but it's just scary fast, it's so fast that when I drove it up to test drive the F-Type R, that felt actively slow and heavy to me, lesson learned.

I'd dig an aftermarket set for the car, but Vossen/HRE sets will run me 7-10k for the wheels alone, and I feel like the cheaper stuff will just make the car heavier. I want to be careful to mess with the balance of the car, because as it sits, it's perfect for me. I'm sure it could be tweaked to be better by someone who knows what they are doing, but I'm not that guy haha. I think for now the next thing I will do is just get the wheels powdercoated satin black, and for the winter, I'll probably just rely on the Gf's car haha, it's not too bad in my area, but as you said, cold weather is not friendly to the P-Zeros that are currently on there.

19. diagrammatiks

The only parts I'd get for a turbo would be something approved by ruf. The stock wheels are really light already. you should have ceramic disk brakes as well which means you'd want to only pair that with the really nice stuff.

the f-type r is a turtle in comparison..mainly because of how the engine makes power. superchargers just feel different. But it's also significantly slower. When you're in those numbers .6 of a second is forever. :)

I saw this guy when I came home today. I swear the person that parks next to me has to own a car rental company or something. Rolls Phantom. 1 Million USD after taxes base price here.

[​IMG]

20. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I test drove the 2017 R8 V10 Plus today, figured I might as well share my honest thoughts!

Pros:
    - Absolutely incredible fit and finish, the comfort is top notch. Maybe the best and most comfortable seats I have ever sat in when it comes to sports/supercars.
    - Blurs the line beautifully between a sports and supercar by being very tame, intuitive and accessible at low speeds and in comfort more, but opening up and becoming a raging beast with the touch of a button.
    - Engine and exhaust have the sound you would expect out of a NA V10.
    - The tech on the car is truly next gen, the cockpit is very spacious and everything is very driver-centric without being obnoxious
    - Even sport mode is comfy for every day use
    - Gotta mention the tech again, really next level. It's crazy how it can make even new cars feel dated by comparison.
    - As much as pictures struggle to do it justice, it really looks beautiful in person, riding the line between having presence and still being somewhat understated. This is for people who want something that performs like (or even slightly better) than a standard Huracan, but don't want the looks, which in my book is a massive plus!

Cons (mainly compared to my Turbo S):
    - Even though the car is fast, and it is fast, it doesn't feel as fast as the insane acceleration and "warp-speed" feeling you get from a Turbo S. I have a bad feeling that my car has ruined a lot of other cars for me just off of the way it accelerates.
    - As much as the NA engine is incredible, I'm quickly reminded how finicky they can be as you really need to learn the car's gearing and ideal revs for torque if you want to get the most out of it. This is a fault only in comparison to the Turbo S which seems to have massive pull at almost any gear and rpm.
    - The handling, although still amazing, feels a little less precise than the Turbo S, very sharp turn in, but almost immediately followed by understeer and then correction by torque vectoring.
    - The cabin seems designed to mute the engine/exhaust noise, which is a bit of a shame with such a great sounding engine. I'd imagine an aftermarket exhaust might help.
    - The car rides a little lower, which just means in practical daily use, I'd have to be a touch more careful. Haven't had to sweat any bumps or driveways in the Turbo S.

Still processing how I feel about it, the car is available for a pretty damn good price, so I'm not sure if I should move on it or not. I'll have a better idea after I sleep on it!

21230775_10155733004479533_7557312114424709296_n.jpg 21192435_10155733771994533_986354684129068966_n.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]