The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Had one Fiat already and that was enough :lol: It was nice to drive and all, but they're simply not made to bear the Finnish winter. It's not even the cold that does it, but they put salt on the roads to make the ice melt and if the base isn't properly protected it'll rust. That was the reason for scrapping the car, welding the base to be road worthy again would've cost more than another car. I've heard that Peugeot for example makes their frames and stuff in such a way that the road salt doesn't affect it.

I don't know if the Dacia or Polaris 4x4 are available here, I don't recall seeing any anyway. But it's true, Dacias are pretty much the cheapest cars you can get, and they don't seem that bad IMO. But we'll see... It'll have to wait until autumn anyway.

2. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

that's the problem with living in a country with extreme weather. the only solution i can give you is to regularly power wash the under of your car in the winter to not give time to the salt to "eat" the car.

Dacias are fines but, like every modern cars, built to last 8 years. just don't take the diesel ones. The polaris thing was more of a joke, but if you have the money...

3. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, I won't be buying a diesel. Diesel is cheaper than petrol, but then you'd have to pay diesel tax separately, so it gets more expensive in the end anyway. So it's basically only worth it if you drive a lot, which I don't do.
    About Polaris, don't they mostly do snowmobiles and stuff like that? :lol: And yeah, once I buy a car of my own I will be taking care of it more. The Fiat wasn't mine, so I only did what had to be done in order to be able to keep driving. The problem with the winter though, is that you can't really wash a car normally when the temperature is below zero (celsius, I don't know what that would be in fahrenheit), so I'd have to have it washed. It's worth the money if it keeps the rust away though.

4. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

So I was thinking of trying my hand at doing car reviews, kinda from a "I'm just a guy who loves cars but I'm not a a pro driver" kind of view point. Who knows if it will work or be any good, but I figure it doesn't hurt to try and see what comes of it.

Anyways, what kind of things would you guys want to see and not want to see. What should I make sure to do, and what should I avoid? I'm open to all suggestions and ideas!

Travis likes this.
  5. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I like what the guys at Drive Tribe are doing. There are some pros, commentators, and enthusiasts that all mix together. Something along the lines of how the enthusiasts participate could be interesting. The only question would be what differentiates what you do from the many other reviewers out there.

I like videos of the reviews - long winded waxing poetically about something in a car generally bores me. The sound it makes when you step on the gas pedal, I want to feel it!

6. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Well that's awful. I generally think all of RWB's work is awful on some level, but those welds are plain horrible.

Crash Dandicoot likes this.
  7. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Anyone here messed with Autodip for wheels? I want my wheels to be black, and I could get them powdercoated, but that is a permanent change and seems to be around double the cost of getting them professionally autodipped. What do you guys think?

8. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

you may check in your area, but a while back I found a couple guys doing the "mobile car repair/customizing" service. prices were pretty cheap and if you didn't like it, just peel it off.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  9. wannabguitarist

I ran plasti-dipped wheels for a while on my S2K and they held up extremely well. About 8,000 miles and 4 autocrosses without any peeling. Autodip looks like it might be a better product and for $20 bucks a can it's cheaper than powder coating.

Wouldn't hurt to try it yourself. I'm actually waiting to hear back from the company about how it holds up to heat and brake dust at the track. Hoping to replicate Volk bronze on my current wheels.

10. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Nice, I think I'm actually going to hold up and just see how the car looks first with the wrap and stock wheels because I found a good place that will powdercoat the wheels for about 500 bucks!

11. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

What is everyone driving these days, and how do you like it? Let's get some honest reviews, the good and the bad!

12. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Got into an accident on Wednesday, got rear-ended and pushed into someone else's car so I've got damage on both sides + a cracked windshield from hitting it with my own head. So, the Focus is going into the shop on Tues, at minimum it needs a new:

Rear bumper guard
    Quarter panel
    Gate
    Hood re-aligned

We're also gonna buff the front end and see if that's worth replacing as well (probably not, a couple little dings is OK). Hoping that it's only cosmetic repairs that are needed, and nothing got fucked up with the frame/tire walls/etc...

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I just had two kids and bought a euro/Asian market only Volkswagen mini bus.

It is literally a bus.

14. M3CHK1LLA

what i have/had and the history lol...

16 toyota tacoma texas ed (wifes dd)
    95 usdm hardtop supra (new project)
    93 jdm rhd hardtop supra (traded for 93 single fd)
    93 big single prt built widebody rx7
    93 tt rx7 (jdm b13 swap project)
    04 nissan 350z (traded for supra lol)
    00 ws6 t/a (traded for 350z)
    05 bmw z4 (sold)
    05 toyota x-runner (my dd)
    98 eclipse gs (bought new - ran over by a semi)
    98 eclipse gs-t (project)
    90 nissan mini truck (life-long project)
    88 supra turbo (another new project lol)
    05 ninja 636 (traded for tt fd;)
    01 ninja 500 (sold to friend)

15. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Got the quote from the insurance company back, they have a new front end bumper guard as part of it, but not re-aligning the hood, so currently we're looking at $2700 minimum to fix the damage. I'm praying there's nothing mechanical I need to worry about and once we add in any little odds and ends that the autobody shop finds, probably looking at $3K

16. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

damn that's one hell of a list!

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  17. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Dude that really sucks, but at least you are okay! In that situation, does insurance find you at fault for rear ending the car in front of you or is it just the initial guy who hit you who is responsible for everything?

18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Thanks bro. I ended up cracking my own windshield with my head since I wasn't wearing a seatbelt, also hit my mouth which I don't recommend doing.

As far as I know, its 100% on her as I was stopped before she hit me, so I had enough room to stop/not following too close - unlike her; which is what the cop cited her for. I've yet to have anything go to my insurance putting me at fault from the guy ahead of me, and his radiator got damaged so I would have by now for something like that.

19. M3CHK1LLA

make sure to stay on top of your insurance company....both sides will try their best to get out of paying

20. wannabguitarist

Hit the track for the first time in 2017 and immediately bested my prior time by a little over a half second. Not sold on my shocks ride after the new valving, but that+lowering vtec (3,600 rpm now instead of 6,000rpm :lol:) definitely made the car faster. There's more time in it too as on track tempts were easily over 100F compared to the nice and cool 70F back in November.

This was at Grange motorsports park. It's a large go-kart track with lap times currently sitting around the mid-low 1:0xxs. Feels more like a high speed auto-cross than a full on race track, but it's a ton of fun. Would have finished in the top three that day but got knocked off the podium by an extremely well built (and driven) LS swapped 240sx.

Hoping to hit Buttonwillow in October with some fresh pads and some minor suspension changes.

EDIT:
    Actually, here's a video from last winter:

The car was fairly loose back then which I kind of preferred over the understeer I struggled with last weekend.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017