The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MFB

MFB ExBendable

19143883_10154622924741845_3095648806920562844_o.jpg

Here's the new whip as of today, 2014 Ford Focus hatchback with just over 41K on the odometer; only one owner, no accidents or anything, she's clean as a whistle.

I initially went in looking for a black 2013 Focus sedan, but after missing the dealers the first day (at their own fault, they had left early even thought they were open till later), it got sold from under me the very next day when I went back. So I kept looking around their lot, talking numbers, and along with some misreadings on their websites about pricing and how it works, I was OK with spending a little bit more on this one given all the OT I've been working since April - 50 hrs a week, every week - so I barely had to take anything out of my house savings. Got my payment to be roughly the same as on my old Altima, which is coincidentally the vehicle that spawned all this by getting totaled on the street from a DUI-driver.

Only thing I really want to do down the road is some tints for the windows and round out the Stormtrooper look :lol:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Dineley likes this.
  2. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Any of you guys using a dash cam? What model, and do you recommend it?

Somebody backed into my RX-7 at a yield sign the other day and I figured enough is enough. need to have stuff like that documented so they can fix my car when they fuck it up

3. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Ooh I would love some good dashcam recs as well, I don't mind spending good money to get a good one as I feel like it's something that's so useful that you probably shouldn't skimp on it.

In other news I'm super excited because I found a shop that does really high quality wraps and I'm going to wrap my car Gloss Sky Blue. Possibly powder coat the wheels black too haha.

4. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

So like I wrote before, our car was scrapped a while ago. We live in the city center with everything at a walking distance, so I haven't really felt the need to get a car for now, but when it starts to get cold I think I might have to buy one to prevent my wife and daughter from freezing to death when going grocery shopping or whatever :D It also looks like I might be getting a considerable raise in salary this autumn, so now I'm considering buying something brand new. Still needs to be a fairly small and, above all, convenient car, but anyway.
    Thing is, I'd like something that has adjustable 4WD, as in you can choose which wheels are powered. Do any cars apart from Subaru's (which are too expensive) have that feature? I'd like this because my wife is used to driving a front wheel drive, so when she's driving she could set it into that mode. It's also more fuel efficient driving that way. Then, of course I would always drive it in rear wheel drive mode (because it's more fun, lol). And then when the roads get slippery and shit in the winter, we'd use full 4WD.
    Other requirements I have is that the car needs to have four doors, because there's just no way I'm cramming my 1yo daughter into the back seat through the front doors. Not to mention trying to install her seat. A big plus would be if a 4x12" would fit in the boot :lol:

So, any suggestions? In general I've been looking at maybe getting a Ford Focus hatchback. The 2015+ Ford Mondeo models also look really nice, but it's a bit bigger than what I'm looking for.

5. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

that's not how 4WD works. What is your budget? Jaguar , BMW, Mercedes made some 4WD sedan and wagon.

6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Ya that's not really how 4wd works.
    You can get some cars where you can drive with 2 wheels but you can't switch between fwd and rwd.

7. poopyalligator

poopyalligator Dr.Poopyalligator

Here is a pic of my Volvo. I love this car

Attached Files:

8. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

How have I never seen this thread? This is my '94 Supra RZ. I'm not a fan of the bodywork / wing / riceness and whatnot (the actual widebody make look okay when photographed but I can assure you is quite shoddy in person), but down the road I'll be changing it. Performance comes first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the trans and engine yanked out, putting in a Southbend drag clutch + new OEM flywheel. Got the block completely cleaned / honed, installed new Tomei poncams on the top end as well. Once I get some new rod / main bearings and a new oil pump (I'm not risking a 23 year old pump with a tendency to push its seal out) it'll get put back together with a Greddy T88 turbo / manifold setup and an AEM meth kit / 880 injectors, Radium fuel pump / rail / supporting mods with an AEM V2 controlling everything. Most engine upgrade parts (save for the cams) are hand-me-downs from my old man's last setup. Old tech but it should have me seated around 700-800 to the wheels on pump gas comfortably :D

[​IMG]

As she currently sits; Gonna paint the engine bay prior to engine reinstallation - I can't stand that contrast. Also, totally doing fender exit exhaust with an electronic cutout :fawk:

Dineley and M3CHK1LLA like this.
  9. Crash Dandicoot

Sorry for the double post - my image hosting skills are lacking, apparently. Here's what should be in my previous post:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Kaff

Kaff SS.org Regular

^^ Cool car! I used to own an -88 MK III 3.0T Supra back in the day, but an MK IV was always on my wishlist. Now I'm too old and too practical to get one..

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  11. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

^ i just picked up an 88 toyota supra turbo a few weeks back, not as nice as my 95 supra, but still fun to drive.

would post pics but photobucket lol

Kaff likes this.
  12. Kaff

Kaff SS.org Regular

^Fun cars for sure! Mine came with a rotten frame, as is the case with many cars here in Finland, the land of salty slush roads 6 months each year.. I spent about the same amount of time welding it as I did on the road, but still had a smile every time I drove it!

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  13. Crash Dandicoot

I owned a '90 Mk. III before that one, swapped the 7M-GTE to a 2JZ-GTE - that thing was a blast! Nobody suspected 400+ hp out of a stock looking Mk. III :D

[​IMG]

That car was awesome... My first car no less!

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  14. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

i want an RWB

15. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I want these to get back from the shop so I can put them on my damn car

[​IMG]

RX-7 is still a fun adventure. Pulled into the car wash last Friday ... was out cruising because it was 7s Day, buncha kids in their WIP Integras and whatnot in there. All checked out my car, one guy shouted "I love FCs!".... went to roll up my window and it didn't move an inch. Driver's side switch is dead, so now I get to do some low voltage wiring work this weekend so I can drive it again

16. Crash Dandicoot

17. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Are those exhaust welds him?! That looks like the shit work I had some Craigslist guy do to build me a smog legal exhaust :lol:

18. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I'm pretty sure I've read about 4WD systems that allow you to choose which wheels are driving. Anyway, I've been thinking more about it, and I guess it's kinda pointless for me to get a 4WD since I mostly drive in the city anyway, and even for longer trips the roads are super rarely that bad. I don't have any need to go off road etc either :lol:
    But yeah, I haven't really thought about the budget for a possible brand new car. I think I'll end up buying a used 2-4 years old one anyway, since cars lose their value damned quickly anyway. And if things don't go my way, I'll just end up buying something as cheap as possible :lol:

19. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

One of the cheapest solution is the Dacia Sandero 4X4 or the Fiat Panda 4X4. Polaris is also making some fun 4X4 stufs but it is a little more expensive.

20. Crash Dandicoot

Yeah man, he's sorta infamous for the worst welds ever, considering his cost / notoriety.