The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I don't really get why people think driving a stick shift is difficult - over here pretty much all cars have manual transmission. My grandpa has an automatic and I don't find it any easier to drive...

Well, Audi, WV and Skoda (+ maybe some more) are all made in the same factories, so they're essentially the same cars with varying levels of extra equipment (I've heard sound isolation is a major difference between those).

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

It's probably the best daily driver 2dar in existence. Although I have two kids on the way. If I had known I probably would have gotten a Macan turbo.

It's been great reliability wise. The 335i I had before this went through 4 sets of tires and 2 fuel pumps and then blew the entire cooling system on the turbos. But it was fine after that. Thank god for warranties.

My buddy bought a mclaren mp12-4c the same time I bought my car. He also has 2 kids. So basically he can't ever ride with both of them at the same time and his car has been in the shop for 6 months out of every year he's own it.

People are kind of down on the new engines in the 911 and the 918 series but that turbo 4 is a monster. I wouldn't mind a cayman gts.

The new a3 is supposed to be faster then the golf. But it's hard to beat the golf for the price performance ratio

3. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

Speaking of the price / performance ratio...

A friend of mine is a BMW tuner.
    He has tuned several 35i enginges per month for years now and it is ridiculous how much power they gain from so little money that has to be invested.
    At least for the N54 engine.

475 HP with stock turbos and only very little changes
    700+ HP with upgrade turbos and reasonable changes (costs)
    (HP specified in the European EWG standard)

He has done dozens of those kind.
    And he hasn't received any reliabability complaints yet.

I'm not too fond of the car itself (135, 335), but the engines are a pretty good bang for the buck.

4. diagrammatiks

Ya the failure points were mainly design flaws and really had nothing to do with reliability.

I was thinking of dinaning my car before I had to sell it to move overseas. They warranty all the new parts and cover drivetrain related issues. Pretty good deal.

But ya those engines could get ridiculous amounts of power. The turbo fours aren't bad either.

Mine was decent for highway cruising. 300 hp stock was still pretty heavy back in 2010. But the sports package and the 20 inch run flats made it terrible for around town driving. Hitting a pothole was like running into a wall and would blow up a 300 dollar tire. That's no fun.

5. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Yes A4 is definitely under consideration. A3 and S3 are too small (backseat for kids....Golf kills it) and a tough sell over the Golf.

True true, it would be under warranty for a few years and I could easily sell if it had issues which I would know about by that point. And with my track record on vehicles lately, I'm not keeping them very long term. :lol:

6. TheShreddinHand

7. diagrammatiks

Looks like my parking lot neighbor bought a new car.

[​IMG]

Stringee likes this.
  8. Furtive Glance

Furtive Glance "Snaaaake!!!"

Jesus, that entire parking garage looks pretty stacked.

9. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

Took a big step as an adult and bought my first car totally on my own, 2014 nissan sentra. Nothing fancy but it feels pretty fancy to me :lol:

[​IMG]

10. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

Took the Z06 out to some time trials. That car is no joke! I was white-knuckled the whole time. Hit about 120 on the straightaways before I had to slam on the brakes for the slaloms. Also have a comparison between my M3 (which I knew very well) and the Z06 (still learning and have the nannies on) on the same course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ub7yw4d5D8

11. TheShreddinHand

^ sweet man! Nice long course with some good straightaways to get up some speed!

12. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

Thank you! Yup it's an awesome course but it's tough to put power down with all the marbles!

13. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i'm getting really frustrated with this situation i'm in.
    i HAD a 2011 mini cooper. not the 's' version, nor the clubman, nor any other type of cooper. just the standard.

my parents are in a used car dealership business, and they advised that my car is losing value drastically. and its value will be cut in half once i hit the 100k km threshold. currently i'm at 88k on it.

i LOVED the cooper. the perfect car for me in several ways except 2 (i'll get into that). it was great for fitting my gear of guitar or amp or photography or groceries. it was perfect for my lumbar support needs. it was great on mileage. it was FUN to drive. looked great. it had a HUGE gas tank that kept me visiting the gas station for about 2.5 weeks at a time, or even more at times; this also allowed me to get 730-800ish km on a full tank. GREAT!!! and because i'm usually a recluse/introvert, i usually dont like people in my car, so the backseat was almost always empty. again, perfect! the only two things i didn't like about it were that it took gold/90 gas, which can be pricey, and also it didn't have any room for a spare tire, nor did it come with it.

so, as such, i am in the hunt for a new car. the new car has to have the same stuff that the cooper had except for the gold gas requirement. there seems to be nothing. nothing that even comes close to it. and i dont get why the cooper fit me so perfectly while other cars are disappointment me in so many ways....

i tried the kia rio. looks good. the ride and everything else about it is lackluster.
    i tried the WV tiguan (kinda like a bigger version of a cooper) and this thing takes up platinum gas, and its tank is bigger than the cooper, so it costs more, and mileage was cut in less than half. on a full tank i was doing about 450....
    then i tried the mazda 3. okay ride, but no lumbar support. and meh on gas.
    my sis has the WV jetta and keeps raving about its gas milage. sure it takes the 87/basic. yet full tank is costing the same as the cooper and its only giving about 500km per tank.
    tried a civic, which is considered very economical car on gas. full tank is about 560ish.
    tried the ford focus. same as the jetta.
    tried the toyota corolla, and same thing. small tank, no lumbar support. full tank takes me about 550ish km.

next i'm gonna try out the wv golf....

is it an industry standard for cars to run about 550ish on a full tank?
    how/why is the cooper able to run so much more?
    why do all other companies make their cars look/preform very similarly, and then the cooper decides to make things VERY unique and different (not saying better...actually in my books, better...)

perhaps the cooper will be the only car for me again.

14. diagrammatiks

Well the car will lose value after about 100k
    The equity calculation is actually quite complicated but if you estimate your repair costs versus your trade in and new vehicle costs you might still come out ahead?

Your parents could probably help you figure that out. If you like the cooper just get another cooper. Just keep in mind that that the newer ones will have some changes to the drive train.

I have no idea in fuel averages either. I've been in china for years and I still can't figure out how long a km is.

800km per tank sounds amazing though. You should doublecheck that a new or newer cooper gets that. You might have a miracle car.

15. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

So not! It's only 40L. My 306 has a 60L.

16. Stringee

Stringee SS.org Regular

Nice!

17. Kaff

Kaff SS.org Regular

Just sold my motorcycle and now it's time for a car for a change. I had specified my needs as a4-wheel drive estate with automatic transmission and as an engineer, I felt like the only two decent 4WD systems are Subaru and Audi (torsen based Quattro). I've now set my eye on a 2006 Audi A4 Avant Quattro with 2.0 TFSI engine. Test drove it last weekend and I just couldn't believe I was driving an 11-year old car!!

One of the injectors misfired under hard acceleration and the car goes to the shop on the account of the seller. In two weeks I have a new test drive scheduled and if the misfiring is gone I think we'll do business!

18. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

just remember the standard Audi "service position" .... bend over and grab your ankles

Furtive Glance likes this.
  19. diagrammatiks

Heh. I'm usually parked next to a Bentley arnage. I think? Unless it's a 4 door continental. Next to the cayman is a masarati quottroporte.

[​IMG]

And I saw some new friends today. Haven't seen either of these down here before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lambo is like whatever. You sold your first company and bought a lambo. W/e. That 911 991 turbo s convertible. That's a gentleman's driver car

20. Kaff

Kaff SS.org Regular

Finally got a car again. This time it's an Audi A4 Avant Quattro (B7) in mint condition! I'm super happy with the car - each time I get in it I'm amazed that this thing is already 11 years old!!