The BlacKat Guitars thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by BlacKat Guitars, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Ill-Gotten James

Ill-Gotten James SS.org Regular

I am in the same boat. I have not heard from Tom since March. The last email I received from him was a picture of the finished guitar, minus the hardware, with a message stating that he was going to perform a quick assembly. It's been over two months now and over 14 months since I paid my deposit. Needless to say I'm disappointed.

When I send emails, I get a return message stating that the message failed to deliver. I'm not sure why this is occurring. I've also attempted to PM Tom via facebook, but I have yet to hear back from him via that route either. If I don't hear any contact soon I am going to give him a call, though that might cost me a nice bit for an international call.

2. Fringe

Fringe SS.org Regular

Well it's really a shame...I also got that mail bounce once I tried to send an email but that could just be because of some problems with his provider or something (maybe there's something going on regarding the relaunch of his website or so), at least I didn't get any bouncing message some time later.

I really do hope he will have a good explanation on what's going on at the moment. I really considered getting a second BlacKat sometime soon but with this kind of communication I definetly won't. Tom is such a nice guy but he really needs to sort out this kind of problems!

3. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

Damn, I hope it works out. His facebook has been quiet for ages now.

4. sehnomatic

sehnomatic SS.org Regular

That's a serious delay, both updates and communication.

Maybe something with the baby? Seems like a "drop everything" urgent situation. Whatever it is, I hope things come out well on his end.

5. Fringe

Fringe SS.org Regular

I really do hope it's nothing like that, a good reason is very welcome but not such a reason...

Nobody out there who got an update from him lately? Maybe we could ask the guys at Skervesen..they should possibly know?

6. Ill-Gotten James

I don't have any contact information for anybody at Skervesen, nor do I fully know Tomek's relationship with Skervesen, so I would feel a little uncomfortable contacting them concerning an non-Skervesen business related issue. Has anybody attempted to contact Tom by phone? I know he has his phone number posted somewhere.

7. Ill-Gotten James

Got an email from Tom this morning. He stated that he has been moving into a new shop and setting up for production to resume, hence why he has not had time to return many emails. I was getting a little worried for a bit. Hopefully I'll be able to post my NGD soon.

8. thesnowdog

thesnowdog SS.org Regular

And another shop is struck from my list of potentials. It's really not that hard... :scratch:

9. drmosh

he really could have let people know, or at least updated his facebook page..

10. Fringe

Fringe SS.org Regular

I also got an update from Tom regarding my Leon in repair. He told me he will send it back to me next week, so I'll keep you updated on any progress. I mean okey, sure..there were many things in his head work and non work related and I totally understand that, but as drmosh stated, a little update on the FB page would have been nice.

btw: I contacted Musza (forum member here) about the issue with Tom as he is also from Poland and knows the Skervy guys (I knew Tom worked together with them a while back). He wrote Tom a message and got through to him. So I guess (no I'm absolutely sure) we have to thank him, that we got news from Tom, so again from my side -> thanks a lot for your help Musza, very much appreciated!

11. drmosh

seems tom is back, updating facebook like crazy.
    So I hope that gives some customers that have ordered some piece of mind. I also hope he apologised for being out of touch for so long.
    I am still glad I got my feral 7 before shit went pear shaped

12. Fringe

Fringe SS.org Regular

I feel the need to put this out for any current waiting customers or others who think about ordering a BlacKat.

Those who follow the thread already know about it, for those who don’t in a few words:
    I have my BlacKat Leon in for repairs at the BlacKat workshop since March 31st and did not get it back until now. The lack of communication is a joke and I just feel like I’m being lied in the face constantly.
    Slowly I start to think I’ll never get my guitar back again.

I’ll just sum up how things went, so all of you can make up your mind, if it’s still a good idea to even think about passing hard earned money towards Tom.

Last year I bought a second hand BlacKat from a very nice guy from Belgium who originally bought it from GuitarCandy, a BlacKat distributor in Belgium. Nice guitar, I liked it quite much but I noticed some problems: The first few frets were lifted off the fretboard and you could easily get the high e-string get caught under them while playing which just should not be. Another thing is, that I got a slight humming noise, no matter if the Piezo (hipshot bridge) was turned on or off.

So I wrote my initial mail to Tom on 2013.12.23 reporting the issues and asking for help. I knew he has a 3 year warranty on his builds but as I was not the first owner I didn’t expect to get a fully free warranty repair which wouldn’t have mattered much as I just wanted the guitar to be fixed. Well to my surprise I got an answer the same day, stating that he would address both problems for free, if I cover the shipping costs for both ways. Frets would be fixed and he would route a second jack for the piezo and redo the wiring (my version had only one jack so far). You can imagine I was more than happy with this answer and we agreed to wait ‘til after the xmas holidays so send the guitar to his workshop.

From here on I'll write the content of the communication including the dates:

02-17-2013:
    I contacted him if we could do the shipping now.

03-09-2014:
    Still no answer, so I try again contacting him, suggesting even a switch for another of his finished, not yet sold guitars (even with option to get a “cheaper” model) as I just wanted to get this over with.

03-09-2014:
    This was fast…direct answer. Trading was out of the game, no problem I do like my Leon. He suggested I could bring it with me, if I went to Musikmesse but unfortunately I couldn’t because I had to go to another trade fair from work. So he asked me to do the shipping after he is back from Musikmesse, I agreed.

03-20-2014:
    Musikmesse over, I ask “what about the shipment”. Tom sends me the address, I send the guitar.

03-31-2014:
    Confirmation of Tom that the guitar arrived and an estimate of 2 weeks repair time (now THAT’s a good one).

04-22-2014:
    Writing Tom about a little update, if it will take much longer or whatever.

04-22-2014:
    Tom answers directly again, postponing to “should ship in the beginning of may”.

Side note for the 04-22-2014:
    I compliment him on the guitar for Aaron (Intervals) as I had seen it on FB, he tells me there is another one in the works which is more or less similar and does not have a buyer, yet (which leaves me wondering -> aren’t there still customers waiting on their builds? Am I not waiting for my repair? Still there is time to do guitars for stock before finishing work of customers who already paid their deposit and made a commitment to the guitar? I definetly feel more sorry for those waiting for their build as mine is a free repair thing but after all I still feel I should come before a stock guitar, I also spend quite a sum when buying the guitar).

05-13-2014:
    Now it gets weird: I try to get another update and my mail gets bounced from the server, no delivery possible.

05-14-2014:
    As I started to panic a little I tried again, this time no bounce, mail delivered.

05-22-2014:
    Still no news (so last time I heard from him was 4 weeks before that). I just write him a quick note if there is any update.

06-12-2014:
    I got extremely nervous and contacted Musza I know from here. He lives in Poland and knows all the guitar guys over there and is an absolutely great guy! He offered me to contact Tom for me.

06-12-2014:
    Oh boy this was fast. Musza contacted him and I get an answer the same day: He apologizes, telling me he forgot about my guitar (oh that’s nice, thanks a lot). The fretboard shrunk, he had to pull out the frets again as they did not go in as planned. He had to fill the fretboard as the frets pulled out material from the fretboard. He will refret it with stainless steel and cover the shipping costs to Germany. He would be able to ship the guitar on 2014.06.16.

06-12-2014:
    Of course I felt a big relief by this answer, at least my guitar still exists and so does the workshop. I agree to everything and also tell him to answer “ill-gotten james” from here because I know he’s waiting for his build and also did not hear any news from Tom.

06-23-2014:
    No guitar, no tracking link, no nothing. I ask him if he already shipped it and just sent him both of my possible shipping addresses (home and work).

07-01-2014:
    No guitar, no tracking link, no nothing. I’m starting to freak out, writing another mail that I do want my guitar back asap and expect an answer within the week.

07-09-2014:
    In my desperation I turn to Musza again, he messages Tom once more (again thanks a lot for that!)

07-10-2014:
    Answer from Tom (it’s really strange that it’s suddenly no problem for Tom to write after Musza contacts him). Apologies again, the repair is done and okey but did not turn out the way he wanted. He offers me a new neck but will ship my guitar back already so I can use it until the new workshop is up and running and he will ship the guitar on Friday (which should have been the 11th) and contact me, once the new neck is finished and then I could decide if I still want it.

07-14-2014:
    Yes it took me 4 days to reply this time, too. I agree on everything he proposed again.

07-23-2014:
    No news in any way again, I’m really pissed off now.
    I wrote him again demanding a definite date for shipping my guitar back to me until end of the week.

And well here we are now 07-28-2014…of course I did not get any update on everything and I really start to think I won’t ever get my guitar back. I’m not sure anything he wrote me is true or if it is just calming me with pseudo progress and “free” addons. Especially as I see that he’s constantly posting news on his FB page, he can’t be too busy for communication. If there is time to to CAD work for new models, before finishing builds, he should rethink his priorities.

After all I’m more than disappointed on how this turned out. Almost 4 months now for a repair, only apologies and nothing more. I recommended BlacKat to everyone as my Leon feels and sounds great, I wanted to order another one and so on. But now I can only give one advise:

DON’T SPEND YOU MONEY ON THEM!

If you want a great custom guitar from Poland (which I absolutely recommend), get a Skervesen or a Mayones, those guys know what they’re doing.

P.S.: Sorry for the monster post…and of course I still do have every single mail from the communication, so I can proof everything I say in this post.

13. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Well, the Blackat you do own was made by Skervesen in all likelihood, given the timeframe. It does suck major ass that your guitar has taken forever to repair, however, and here's hoping the thing is back to you as soon as possible - both for you and Tomek's sake, as it'll mean the transition phase to self-building is finally over.

14. Orzech

Orzech SS.org Regular

Shit... I really hope you get your guitar soon. Given recent changes in his business the delay is understandable but damn.

15. Fringe

Fringe SS.org Regular

Yes it's definetly a Skervy build, however I thought they only did the blanks for him and fretting, painting, electrics and stuff was done by him since ever, or am I wrong here?

Well I guess I showed my understanding for his situation but not keeping word to so much dates is just too much. I'm a really calm person by nature and I really HATE being too much of a dick about such things, but I somehow feel he leaves me no other choice here...

16. AngryGoldfish

AngryGoldfish boy in a coma

Was considering a BlacKat base model, but I'll probably get a Mayones GTM instead. .... that noise.

17. Erockomania

Erockomania Studio Geek

I really hate hearing stories of communication negligence.

18. Lotra

Lotra SS.org Regular

I think that's ssomething wrong in the water in Poland....

19. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp Ormsby nutter

Because Skervesen is clearly a bad Polish company and the rest of Europe, the USA, and well, the rest of the world has never had a guitar company that's offered little to no communication? Great generalisation, mate.

Samark likes this.
  20. Fringe

Fringe SS.org Regular

+1

this has absolutely nothing to do with Poland. Poland is a great country with lots of very cool people! This could have happened everywhere...still a shame but certainly I'm not mad about Poland, I'm mad about Tom...