The BEST band I've ever seen live

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by Ballistic 21, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

To the OP:

How many shows have you been to? I don't want to come off as a dick, but please do yourself a favor, and go to more shows.

If you dig the deathcore thing (which I assume you do) go see Whitechapel in a small club.

And, when Nergal gets better, everybody needs to see Behemoth in a club. And Gojira. Well, fuck, any band is better in a small club.

2. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

:ugh: The "riff" before the first breakdown at 0:37 = what? This music does nothing for me, and the live performance is certainly not of the highest quality. Even the people in the front row aren't getting into it that much. Just sounds like a collection of breakdowns to me to be frank, and the ridiculous poses and moves that the band members are pulling makes it seem even worse. Sure, experience is subjective, but as has been suggested, you probably need to see better gigs.

Anyways, good live bands?

Opeth, every time. Seen them once every tour since Blackwater Park and they never disappoint. Plus, Mikael is hi-feckin'-larious between songs. Opeth and original-lineup Decapitated in the Mean Fiddler on the Blackwater Park tour was astonishing. Decapitated these days is inferior, especially when you add in the nostalgia-goggles I see that show through, but still well worth the price of admission.

Ihsahn was fucking amazing, better with his solo material than with Emperor. Leprous, the backing band, are incredibly proficient musicians and execute seemingly every vocal harmony perfectly. Would highly recommend seeing him.

On vocal harmonies and general awesomeness, Bad Religion are one of the best punk bands I've seen. They even got the Brixton Academy's sound system to not suck, which takes some doing. In addition, they don't believe in the idiot rock star ritual of encores: they just keep playing until the venue unplugs them and turns the house lights on.

Propagandhi are likewise incredible live. It's stretching the outer limits of what's still "punk rock" before it turns into metal, but despite the frenetic odd-meter madness of the music and the polysyllabic vocal rantings about everything from religion to animal rights to the selling out of their entire genre (via rastafarianism, pigs, and Lars Fredriksen's pot belly) they pull it off amazingly. They even got the lead singer of Black Widow on stage with them in London to join them in a rendition of "Come to the Sabbat."

Oh, and Maiden. Maiden Maiden Maiden. Maiden Maiden Maiden Maiden. Energy pours off the stage at a Maiden show. They're astounding. Bruce Dickinson is your daddy and you know it.

:idea: Oh, and the Sabbat. Come to it.

3. NaYoN

NaYoN Heavy Blog Is Heavy

Gojira is awesome live in a small venue. So is Nile. Interestingly enough, so is I set my friends on fire :D

Also veil of maya, after the burial.

4. Unknown Doodl3.2

Unknown Doodl3.2 look at each other..

Don't worry OP, some of the bands mentioned in this thread have even worse live shows than the vid you posted, IMO of course...

5. Thaeon

Thaeon SS.org Regular

Wow... A few good shows...

Tool, especially when Meshuggah opened for them.
    311 on the Transistor tour actually put on a really good show.
    G3: Satriani, Vai, and Petrucci
    Rob Zombie w/John 5
    Vai at the Wiltern LG in LA in '05.
    Big Wreck in '98
    Nine Inch Nails probably holds the number 1 slot though. Their live sound is UNBELIEVABLE.

And I'm going to Massive Attack in Dallas in a couple months. It will rank at the top as well.

6. Deadnightshade

Deadnightshade U gonna eat that?

Pain of Salvation :agreed: Worth every fucking minute of the ear torture i suffered from Lake of Tears that played before them..

7. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

They used to open for my band around '96/'97 when they were still called 'Caution', and they were a covers band doing stuff like Green Day. They then moved onto original songs with lyrics like 'I am pure & you're a lemming' :lol::lol::lol: Probably still got some casette demos somewhere

8. 7slinger

7slinger wake up dead Contributor

TooL, ozzfest 1998 (I think)

it was like putting the AEnima CD into a 10 million watt stereo setup (in a good way) along with an extra heaping dose of MJK sarcasm...he came out as reverend maynard with a wig on and a bible, gave us a nice sermon before chucking the bible into the crowd and strippin down to his shorts. I've never seen a crowd go after something the way they went after that bible, it looked like a god damn feeding frenzy

totally awesome show though, they fuckin rocked, completely blew me away

9. B36arin

B36arin SS.org Regular

Porcupine Tree, hands down! Meshuggah, Cannibal Corpse and Maiden get honorable mentions, but I've never seen anyone come close to Porcupine Tree. I'm yet to see Gojira though, I will as soon as they're in the area.

10. theclap

theclap SS.org Regular

Dillinger was by far the most intense show crowd/band wise. I saw them with chris penney and those mfers were all over the stage so +2 on that

BTBAM when they played colors straight through was the most phenomenal show i have ever witnessed hands down and got to see it at my favorite venue in philly, the first unitarian church. then shake paul waggoner's hand:bowdown:

to add to this, if you ever get the chance to see SUNNO))) do it i saw them in an actual church and it was one of the wildest experiences of my life.

lastly, i saw Gojira mentioned. They are the tightest i've seen live

here's my proof of dillinger being the wildest live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA

11. Unknown Doodl3.2

Unknown Doodl3.2 look at each other..

^I heard the Sunn O))) playing in a church basement story. Aparently it's close to life altering.

My favs are probably Meshuggah and Martyr as far as live shows go. I keep missing Tool when they come to town but I think it would rank up there.

12. Lucas Crowe

Lucas Crowe Lovely Boy

Incubus was the best I've ever seen.

13. titanBFG

titanBFG Banned

I will never understand tool's "appeal". As far as i am concerned the only people who got into that band were white trash and poor kids.

and if anyone is interested in seeing an actual good show... go see russian circles, or minus the bear, or converge. metal bands are always lame live (save metal bands who actually give a shit about music, and are not just trying to be faggots who sound like monsters), as metal is music's wcw.

14. oldbulllee

oldbulllee SS.org Regular

meshuggah/ exit fest serbia.
    several orders of magnitude above anything else i've seen live in terms of sheer sonic magnificence.
    tightest, heaviest and most brutal sounding live act in my life so far.
    i had problems believing what i was hearing for first couple of minutes. after that i was just grinning like an idiot entire time. and a few days later too.

15. Soubi7string

Soubi7string WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP

that made me wanna peel out my eyes and make the bad man go away.
    Check
    Beneath The Massacre
    GG Allin
    Carpathian Forest
    Viraemia
    Waking The Cadaver
    Nevermore

16. Ballistic 21

Ballistic 21 SS.org Regular

I've seen a lot of people saying i need to get out more or need to go to more shows, I go to shows quite frequently and listen to a lot of different genres.
    I'm not going to lie, i was hyped up on painkillers from a recent surgery when i posted that video.
    Although this is one of my favorite bands i will say this video doesn't come close to capturing them.

Yeah dude I've seen Whitechapel twice in two very small venues and it was just ridiculous to simply put it. They were all really nice guys as well.

I agree completely that every band is better in a small club,
    the show just seems more intimate when people are just shoved together listening to music they love.

17. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Wait, let me take back what I said. Not EVERY band is better in a club. Cannibal Corpse in a small venue sucked. I don't know if they sucked on stage, but the shear amount of people going nuts took away from the show. I've been in a riot, and a fucking war zone that were calmer than that show.

I do want to see DEP though, so I can start saying that Cannibal show was tame.

18. Soubi7string

Soubi7string WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP

The almighty CANNIBAL CORPSE IS AMAZING LIVE
    I mean dude George fisher knows what he's doing and knows how to get a crowd going
    For a band that doesn't move much, they're amazing live
    Saw them at the masquerade in atl
    The faceless is also quite amazing.saw them with dying fetus and beneath the massacre all of those bands are AMAZING LIVE
    Even DF was bangin dude

19. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

:shred::yesway:

20. DaveCarter

DaveCarter Melowiddler

Karnivool definitely stood out as one of the best, the sound was excellent that night and the band were really on form, it was literally like listening to the CD...but live and rather loud :D Their vocalist is scarily accurate live....