The best 7 string bridge pickup is..

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Digital Black, May 25, 2004.

1. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

The Tonezone 7!.. Though there isn't too much mainstream pickups to choose from. So whats your favorite ?

Also , hello sevenstring . org !! my 1 st post here..

2. Josh

Josh Guest

I've got a tone zone in the bridge of my 7620, and I love it! A BIG improvement over the stock Ibanez crap-ups. :D

3. Hyper-Rob

Hyper-Rob SS.org Regular

I'm a big Duncan fan- I'm pretty sure that they make most of their pick-ups in 7-string size. Check 'em out!

4. Digital Black

I have a RG7620 (japan serial number "F"), and it came with Dimarzo Blaze pickups. I didn't think they were too bad. I kept the neck pip, It does what I need it to do..

5. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

I think ihave tried thwey all

1) dimarzio tone zone really good better for neck
    2) dimarzio Evolution great bridge heavey but a little plain
    3)Seymour duncan INVADER 7..too distorted uncontrollable
    4) Loll tribone really good clean distored sucked
    5)emg 707..great loud stunk clean
    6) worked best for me...emg 707 81'

I have them in three of my Carvins....I really do not know how they would work in a Bolt on..prolly make the thing seem to thinnnnnnn..dimarzios work best on bolt on's...

6. Josh

Josh Guest

It turns out I accidentally put the Air Norton in the bridge instead of the Tone Zone....so I still have it. :eek: I'll be putting it in the ESP soon. :yum:

7. Vince

Vince Contributor

Maybe it's just me but I've had 2 Ibanez 7 strings (one was an $1800 prestige model), both had the same Dimarzio blaze pickups, and both sounded fantastic. I've swapped out the p/u's on my other guitars (Air Norton's in the neck, various Duncan's in the bridge), but I've been pretty happy with the stock 7 string pickups.

EDIT: Funny story... my newer $1000 Ibanez RG has the same hardware as my old Prestige model, and actually plays and sounds better. Go figure.

8. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

On my 7620 -- DiMarzio Blaze in the bridge, stock neck \m/

9. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

I'd love a 7 version of the SD Screamin' Demon.

10. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

they are more exspensive and at times require modifications to the guitar in question...but has anyone ever said i put emg's in and they sucked>>> I do not think so...plus the solo and crunch and clean you get from them is unbelieveable...let's your preamp do it's job instead of color your tone let the guitar speak...I know plenty of guys who ride their preamp...the guitar sounds like crap but the preamp makes all the color of the sound...get a good guitar tone then go to the amp/preamp...i make all my students play through my line 6 combo clean or with a hint of distortion just so they can hear what they are playing...

11. Digital Black

IMHO EMG's are a waste. The best cleans always come from passive pickups IMO. If you don't have good clean tones then forget it........

12. neantir

neantir SS.org Regular

Has anyone played the Rio Grande 7 string pickups, or the Warmoth/Andersons?

They seem to be a good alternative to Dimarzio and Duncan, but no one seems to use them

13. Goliath

Goliath Contributor

PAF/Air Norton is the combo I use and like the best. I've tried a few others but these have the warmest combo to my ear.

14. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

I would say a lot depends on how your guitar is constructed. In a basswood-bodied guitar (Ibanez), I would stay away from a Tone Zone in the bridge, since the TZ adds lots of low-end, which I imagine would muddy things up on the low-B (but obviously others here disagree). In my basswood-bodied Schecter V-7, I installed a Blaze Custom in the bridge, and it absolutely screams! The Blaze Custom is designed to be more of a lead guitarist's pickup than the regular Blaze, so it is hotter and has more highs. The Blaze neck pickup is fine.

In my neckthru maple/mahogany Schecter A-7 Elite, I installed a Duncan Distortion-7 in the bridge to replace the craptacular Duncan Design pickup it originally came with. The Distortion is a great pickup in neckthru guitars--devastating crunch, similar tonal balance to the EMG-81, but much much juicier and with incredible harmonics. Might lack a little clarity for some folks' taste. If that's the case, a Duncan JB-7 would be a good choice, also, or the EMGs, if you want to rout the hell out of your guitar.

15. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

Since Im a "metal" guy who likes stupidly brutal distortion, Id have to go w/ EMG all the way. You can toss EMG's in the crappiest of guitars and use junky amps and still get an amazing metal tone.

I recently was given an incredibly crappy Ibanez IcemanX that is in truly sorry shape, and probably never was much of a guitar to begin with, but it just so happens to have some emg81's in it and thing can just put so many other guitars to shame all thanks to the EMGs. But yeah.. the cleans do suck.

16. EnigmaUV7

EnigmaUV7 SS.org Regular

I have played the Tone Zone7 and I would say it's a bit muddy, and mud is the enemy of 7 strings. If the JB7 pup is just an overgrown JB6 with no real changes, I don't think it really suits the hard rock/metal character most 7-string players like. I love the stock Blazes myself, although I wouldn't mind trying a Blaze Custom or Evo7 for the bridge. The neck Blaze especially is killer!

Playing through a small combo amp without much juice, I guess I can see where some people might think the Blaze bridge is too low output, but my amp has gain for days, and the Blaze stays tight and focused at high volume, so I love it. Besides, it is 380 mV, not exactly weak. I raised the pole pieces slightly on the coil closes to the trem for extra emphasis on the treble frequencies and also bypassed the tone control for pure cut, really nice mods for 7s. I never used the tone control anyway.

17. The Sleeper

The Sleeper SS.org Regular

More than happy with the stock DiMarzio Blaze. For me they work well, they're hot enough to give you some balls, but not so hot that they get flabby & muddy. I like how they also clean up nicely at low volume knob settings.

Catch ya's later.........Joe :)

18. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

I would be more tempted to try an EMG-7 if they would put out a 7-string pickup in a casing that would fit right into a normal Duncan/Dimarzio routing. But that big-arsed bass-pickup casing they use for the 707 and 81-7 pickups just requires too much body modification to try out casually. I think EMG's sales of their 7's would go up a lot if they could change the size.

19. Goliath

Goliath Contributor

Is there a SD Screamin' Demon for the 7?

20. EnigmaUV7

EnigmaUV7 SS.org Regular

I agree 110%. Not many people want to go through so much trouble and permanently mod their guitars for pups. I would really like to hear a 7 with EMGs in person though. :D