The Beginning to your Musical journey

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by xAGx, Mar 12, 2018.

1. xAGx

xAGx SS.org Regular

So I absolutely love talking about these kinds of things because music itself is such a broad subject.

What Band/Song/Album/Riff/Whatever it was, got you into your respective style of music? Whether it be core, metal, blues whatever it is.

I played guitar from 12 to 14 but it was a forced thing that i didn't really cherish at the time so i quit for almost two years.

Anyways, I remember being 15 years old driving around with a cousin of mine who was a guitarist. He pops a cassette into his player in his good ole chevy cavalier and out comes the intro riff to "This Love" by Pantera. LITERALLY from that song/moment on i fell in love with metal. It literally hit me like a ton of bricks and changed my life.

My first metal albums i bought on my own were the end of heartache by Killswitch Engage and frail words collapse by As I Lay Dying

The first real push towards death metal i had was when an early band of mine SOMEHOW got on the bill and opened for Dying Fetus, Skeletonwitch and God Forbid.

so whats everyones story/influence in their respective musical journey?

2. silverabyss

silverabyss

I think the first time I ever conceptualized in my brain the sound of distorted guitar was Van Halen's playing on the end credits of Twister (1996)

Also I guess around that time I played lots of Megaman X and X2 and loved the music, that I learned later was metal/thrash influenced

:hbang:

Edika, groverj3, larry and 4 others like this.
  3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

For me, it was two things, really.

1. Metallica's "Battery", followed by the rest of the album. I remember putting the cassette into my walkman (anyone know what I'm talking about? Haha). I listened to it three times through on that bus trip home from a high school wrestling tournament.

2. My mom's comment "I'm not sure I want you listening to that kind of music."

The rest is history.

Edika and xAGx like this.
  4. xAGx

xAGx SS.org Regular

Lmao. My parents havent ever told me what and what not to listen to thankfully. My dad is a drummer and was playing sabbath at 13 years old so he reflects with it. Not so much with the screaming.

5. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I was 15 and I liked music from the Sonic games. 8-bit, 16-bit, to the modern rock soundtrack. I told mum and dad I'd like to play guitar. I said that they always wanted me to 'do' something, like play an instrument, so I'd like to do that.

For my 16th birthday I got an electric starter kit. It just went from there.

6. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

i got an X Games sampler in 2003. this was the first song:

and thus began my interest in heavier music

7. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

My uncles played guitar and mum used to listen to ACDC and KISS all the time. Got a 3/4 sized Valencia nylon string acoustic for my 10th birthday and that was that haha.

8. Razerjack

Razerjack SS.org Regular

Coldplay led to Green Day led to GNR led to a TON of metal records the local record store guy recommended to me (most notably Sepultura, Rhapsody and Opeth)

The sound track from Need For Speed: Most Wanted and GTA: San Andreas were also cool

9. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

There was a game years ago called Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, with a theme song performed by Cold. I still remember getting Year of the Spider for Xmas and being disappointed that the track wasn't on there. After that it was Staind, Green Day, Korn and Seether before any of the really heavy stuff kicked in.

xAGx likes this.
  10. Ebony

Ebony Blastology

Age 3-10: Generic Pop, church organ and school choir. Some classical.

Age 10: The need to listen to brutal shit ignites.

Age 10-11: Mom is hesitant, like everyone else I'm stuck in the Kiss/Maiden-bubble with a tiny sprinkle of heavier stuff.

Age 12: Mom realizes the struggle is futile and it's been brutal shit ever since. Begin to play drums and occasional bass in a shitty local gospel/rock band.

Age 13-16: Death/thrash metal über alles. Begin to play drums and piano more seriously. CD and LP-hoarding commences.

Age 16-18: Black metal über alles, my "angry purist"-period. Some grindcore and death metal allowed. Buy my first guitar.

Age 18-22: In addition to extreme metal I'm listening to more classical, jazz-fusion and old school hip hop than I've done before.

Age 22-now: More and more interested in polyrhythmic and dissonant/disharmonic/atonal/microtonal music.

11. wat

wat SS.org Regular

14-16 nu metal

16-21 dreamtheater, iron maiden, queensryche. My elitist years.

19 - 24 hardcore & metalcore

25 - 29 djent bands

Now: Synthwave, jpop, 70's Japanese disco and a little bit of everything from previous years.

12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

That's a hard question because I got into guitar just to play music (didn't care what), dove into various forms of punk because friends were listening to it, went down the Metallica/Iron Maiden rabbit hole thanks to my guitar teacher, went to various other types of metal at the end of high school into college, played in a rock band out of college and now I tour in a "post-hardcore" (we call it "spacey punk") band for the last few years.

My family recounts stories of when I was a young child at a relatives' wedding playing on the drums for hours after the ceremony. I have a vague recollection :lol:. I play guitar because my parents did not want to buy me a drum kit :yesway:. There's always been a love of music from a young age though.

13. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

So mine is a bit weird. I was really late to metal and the music I listen to today. Thought I'd share my story though, even if I am a bit embarrassed by some of it.

Child - 10 I only listened to what was given to me. Sadly my brother and mom mainly listened to Rap and Pop with a tiny bit if pop punk sprinkled in. I picked out some of the stuff I really liked which was stuff like Sum41, blink-182, Good Charlotte, The Killers and I'm sure more I can't even remember (ahhh the early to mid 2000's)

11 - 13 I finally was old enough to understand music and started choosing what I liked more and getting my own music. I really started to like pop punk and a bit of metal. My favorite band (and a shameful one) was Yellowcard. Hell it's still a guilty pleasure of mine today that I pop them in every now and then. I'm not ashamed to admit it haha :D. I slowly started getting into more heavier stuff though because of Guitar Hero and Rock Band. To be honest, most of my music came from video games at and before this time. A lot of punk from when my brother would play the Madden games.

14 - 18 This is when my metalcore faze started. The first two being Killswitch Engage and ADTR (which I absolutely despise this band now a days). I listened to SO much garbage metalcore like The Color Morale, The Word Alive, blessthefall, A Skylit Drive, and so much more.

18 - now (23 years old) I saw a huge change here. I finally picked up guitar as a graduation present and my entire life of music changed. Hell just my personality and life as a whole changed. My tastes completely changed once I started guitar. The first band to really get me going with prog was Animals as Leaders. Man... what a difference compared to what I was used to. Now I listen to mainly prog and look for technical stuff. I never truly appreciated music until I started playing guitar. My entire music library of 2000+ songs were completely wiped besides like 3 albums and is now a completely different collection of artists.

I look back today and just cringe at the stuff I used to listen to, but the way I look at it is I wouldn't be here today playing guitar or listening to the music I listen to without them. Also growing up around Rap and Pop didn't help; I always hated it! I really wish I had grew up listening to actual good music like 70's an 80's metal or at the very least something better than what I was given. Now I am making up for lost time with music and playing guitar.

Thanks for reading!

xAGx likes this.
  14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

The first thing that got me to pick up a guitar was trying to play the intro to the "Gumby" theme song. I won't post it, because, other than the intro, the song is laughably bad. After that, it was any theme song to anything...much to the chagrin of my guitar teacher, who'd rather I try to learn something strummier, like "Bad Moon Risin" or "Hound Dog." I was also all about the Police at a young age, so I had to try to learn "Every Breath You Take," with my poor little kid hands struggling to reach the notes on that Gmajadd9 (my instructor suggested I transpose the song down to pick up an open chord for the Emadd9) on my cheap Hondo acoustic guitar with action set permanently at about 3/8 of an inch...

The song that got me into blues was "Boom Boom." The song that got me into rock was "Aqualung." The song that got me into metal was "One" by Metallica. When I was a teenager, Savvy Showstoppers by the Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet got me heavily into instrumental (surf) rock bands like Man...Or Astroman, Laika and the Cosmonauts, and Dick Dale and the Deltones.

The first song for which I tried to learn to sweep pick was the Silver Surfer NES game theme song. The damned song is as hard to play as the damned game! But yeah, that's how I learned a lot of techniques actually...natural harmonics were the "coin sounds" from Super Mario. Classical guitar counterpoint was "Theme C" from Tetris (uncredited, but it's French Suite No. 3 by JS Bach). And so on. What's funny, is that I never played video games really *that much*, I just thought about them a lot. :lol:

My decision to switch to 19-EDO tuning was really mostly a solo journey. I played steel guitar and was intrigued by how the notes had to be tuned differently than a regular guitar, so I looked into Buzz Feiten tuning and started studying Werckmeister and Bach's elusive well-temperment, which led me back to basics.

silverabyss and xAGx like this.
  15. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Listened to very little music as a young child my dad listened to lots of classic rock. He would always wake up the cat with Time by Pink Floyd.... listened to some pretty garbage Christian bands from church, News Boys, DC Talk.

In grade 6 I was so musically out of touch we had to do gymnastics routines and all the other kids had cool popular music, I knew that Elvis was rock and roll so took my dad's Elvis CD and then used some terrible Elvis song for my routine.

End of grade 6 and start of grade 7, foo fighter the color and the shape as well as Dude Ranch by Blink 182, and I got Big Shiny Tunes 2 and 3 which are like Canadian top singles compilations, they had stuff like Song 2 by Blur Beastie Boys, Matthew God, Chilli Peppers, Marilyn Manson ect...

After Blink got into Green Day, Sum 41, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, New Found Glory ect.

Then the first time I got into like heavyish music, was 2002 Warped tour, Finch, Thrice, The Used, stuff that is in no way heavy now.

Was getting pretty into guitar at this point and then through guitar magazines I ended up getting into better music Dillinger Escape Plan, Coheed and Cambria, Between the Buried and me.

Had a few binges back into classic rock and 80's hair, now I listen to basically everything except country pop and most new hip hop, but love 90's rap/hip hop, Kendrick Lamar, even Justin Timberlake is pretty sweet.

16. wat

wat SS.org Regular

My first CD was the "A Night At The Roxbury" soundtrack. Gotta start somewhere.

xAGx, Demiurge and Dineley like this.
  17. zarg

zarg guitar nerd

I'm fairly young so this was the first metal song I heard and it was totally new to me, I had no contact with any metal before. I mostly listened to radio stuff, never on put on any music on purpose.

After that I was extremely hooked and quickly acquired the whole HammerFall discography and it went on from there....

Lorcan Ward and xAGx like this.
  18. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Used to blast this going through drive throughs pissing everyone off hahahah

wat and xAGx like this.
  19. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I grew up listening to classic rock like Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes, Rush etc thanks to my dad who later on showed me Black Sabbath and Ozzy once he saw that I liked the heavier songs from the bands I grew up with.

I was probably 7-8 when I was driving around with my cousin Eric(20 something at the time) and my other cousin Dustin and heard my first song that was heavier than anything else I had known of at the time, it was Surfacing by Slipknot. I remember getting dropped off by Eric and immediately telling my mom that we had to go to Walmart so I could buy Slipknot's first album, which I lucked out on since my only restriction on music was I couldn't listen to it if there was a parental advisory sticker on the cover and for whatever reason that Slipknot album was missing the sticker so she bought it for me. I'll never forget getting into the backseat of our truck and popping the CD for the first time and having my brain blown out of the back of my head because of how intense the music was. From Corey's screams to Mick and Jims riffing, to Joey's drumming and Paul's bass playing, it was all just so fast and angry and I loved every second of it.

Of course once I told Eric that I liked Slipknot he showed me Korn which I loved immediately since it was still heavy but a little more emotional than Slipknot. I was 9-10 when I decided I needed more music to listen to so I had my mom buy me Rob Zombie's Hellbilly Deluxe and the Headbangers Ball volume 1 which exposed me to The Black Dahlia Murder(my favorite band of all time) and Meshuggah along with a ton of other bands. Around that time I met one of my best friends, Aaron. Aaron was into everything I listened to thanks to his older brother so we bonded instantly. We would always show each other new bands we found, I was mainly into shred in middle school which he wasn't into at all. I think we were in 7th grade when he came over and showed me some of the bands his brother had recently gotten into, they were Rose Funeral, Burning The Masses, Within The Ruins and The Faceless and it was like listening the that first Slipknot album all over again only everything was even faster and angrier sounding. After that point I dove head-first into death metal and its been my favorite genre of music ever since.

My taste in music has only expanded since back then, the only shit I don't listen to is this new rap-pop-country garbage that seems to have gotten super popular for whatever reason. There was a time when I listened to rap and metal and was actually conflicted as to which I should listen to and enjoy more, metal won but I still love rap, now more than ever honestly. There was also a time when I used to be kinda self-conscious about listening to metal but that didn't last long. All in all I'm glad I listen to the music that I do and I'm incredibly thankful that my parents never tried to police what I was listening to, not that that would have worked since I'm stubborn as fuck:lol:.

wat likes this.
  20. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

Watching Kiss Meets the Phantom movie in the 90's made me love rock. Listening to Black Sabbath's firsr albums for the first time made me love the darker side. It just got heavier and heavier from there. Mom was a total rocker. Mom, thank you for the influences, wherever you are right now. Now my daughter is following the same path with me and I'm excited to share my music with her.