The Beautiful Nuclear Explosion Thread

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Scar Symmetry, Jul 25, 2009.

1. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

It scares the fuck out of me to think of how swift everything on earth can die, due to a few select paid government employees. Very small particles could be released into a breeze, and within a week a continent could be deceased.

I agree with whoever said that nobody needs that kind of power. Greed is ugly!

Even though some of them are enhanced, those are nice pictures :)

2. Sindwulf

Sindwulf SS.org Regular

My God, that is so monumentous everytime I read it. Still even, blows me away that these are the effects of half it's designed effects and just think, if they indeed dropped the full 100 Megatonner, the pilots would have perished.

3. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

just found this:

[​IMG]

4. Scar Symmetry

thinking about the Tsar Bomba, if they had dropped the 100 Megaton one, obviously it's just simple maths but that would've had 2.8% of the power output of the Sun, which is again, obviously nearly 3% which is fucking insane.

5. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 1 less ERGNESS

careful dave..if you carry on like this you will end up enjoying physics a lot more and looking at your axe thinking maths, not notes...!!!

i think the picture you posted is a montage to make it look like you could witness this from a beach. However the blast is a real one, and at the beginning of airborne tests they used to put old ships (sometimes with animals) at different distances from the center of the blast to be able to analyze the aftermath effect.

my grand father took part in one of these in the french polynesia after the 2nd WW.

overall, and unfortunately, those are tiny compared to what is thought to be around right now...quite scary to be honest...

6. Scar Symmetry

yeah I can see the boats.

scary stuff indeed.

7. lobee

lobee vicioustabbing

I'm pretty sure I have a poster of that one lying around somewhere. I bought it a few years ago along with a bunch of other random posters and still haven't gotten around to putting them up!:nuts:

8. Scar Symmetry

Ralphy, what's the standard of nuclear weapons these days?

the most powerful WMD available to man, how much output of the Sun does that have?

9. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

Its sickens me that anybody feels the need to have a Nuclear weapon.

10. ellengtrgrl

ellengtrgrl SS.org Regular

I have mixed feelings about this. While the power released by a thermo-nuke is awesome, and it has a certain lethal beauty to it, the results are beyond depressing. I have a degree in Nuclear Engineering (B.S. - Univ.of Wisconsin, Class of 1987). The US Nuclear industry has been moribund for decades, which makes it almost impossible to get a job in it f you're a Nuke Engineer (it was even worse when I got out of school in '87). In spite of that, I told myself, that I wanted NOTHING to do with building nuke weapons, even if it meant that I'd have a job. I couldn't live with myself, knowing I'd designed or built a weapon (or weapons) that could kill millions,or hundreds of millions of people (luckily I had enough of a basic engineering background, to get another degree in engineering [Manufacturing Engineering], and get a career as a Quality Engineer).

In spite of the above sttements, I am not anti-nuke. I still feel that nuclear fusion (if we ever get past the break-even point) is the way to go for meeting our future energy needs (both solar and wind power are limited in their applications IMO).

The Tsar Bomba is still the biggest nuke ever built to my kowledge, and while it's energy yield was huge, I don't think the energy output was (comparatively speaking) 3% of the sun's output.

11. Scar Symmetry

no, it had 1.4%.

please read my posts again.

12. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

Does that mean that if roughly 72 of these nukes went off, it would have the ouput power equal to that of the sun? What would that even imply, realistically?

13. Scar Symmetry

intense Global Warming.

14. Bobo

Bobo SS.org Regular

SYL + Nukes

15. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I want HD footage of a nuclear bomb exploding, and Discovery to film it :agreed:

16. ralphy1976

@ellengtrgrl : Ellen, well firstly congrats for getting such a degree. in the 80s stuff much have been a lot "tighter" than in 1997 & 2000 when i got mine!!! It also nice to see that people who have such degrees. I do agree with you that developing / building and / or pro-actively working on such a weapon must be very strange. unless you purely look at it from a scientific / research point of view.

As for nuclear fusion, i have been foloowing this for soem years now, and i had the pleasure to visit the european research center in the UK, i am still not totally convince that we have the technology to harness such power. Also, i think the oil / gas / coal / renewable energy lobby is so strong that decent funding are always hard to come by when it comes to fusion / fission research, which is really sad.

@Scar_symmetry : Dave, well bomb power are a very guarded affair and any power quoted are always an estimate. For a start no country will say how powerful theirs are and will never compare an explosion to one of theirs, but the cmparison will always be to Nagasaki and Hiroshima. So, to give you an idea, the last explosion test carried out by North Kore, which still claims was a nuclear test, couls have been achieved with 100,000 US$ worth of high speed explosives. Furthemore - and according to media (so to take with a pinch of salt) - this was comparable to Hiroshima...yada..yada..yada...

I think, we shoudl not be mistaken. If, and i truly hope that it will never happen, if we have to face a nuclear war, there will be no limit as to how devastating each bomb will be, and perhaps the tsar bomb will just be insignificant in size due to the fact that now you do not need a plane to "drop a bomb"

Not a pleasing idea i know, but one which should not be overlooked.

17. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

My comment after reviewing this post (Great post by the way) is that while Nuclear energy and weapons have its place. The fear I or we should have is the Nuts out there that can get the experts to put something like this together.

On a grand scale it would take some serious money and an amazing amount of luck to get it built without the watchdogs of the world finding out.

On a lessor and way more scary scale is the dirty bomb, this would be a piece of cake for most nuts to put together. The worst part is I bet there are already a few of these out there ready to go.
    A dirty bomb is deadly radio active material encased in a standard bomb, on explosion, the radio activity is sent into the air as dust covering a large area depending on wind. If you take one breath of it then its cancer or worse.

Going back in history we had many many events that were stopped without us knowing and will never will. If some of these events went through our lives would all be very different right now.

We should thank the people who are out there protecting us, its not the people you would think of as our military's.

18. ralphy1976

unfortunately this is not totally true, south africa got their weapon program in line to build a nuclear warhead but it got cancelled when Apartheid collapsed.

South Africa revealed it to the world..to the world atonement of course!!! and it got dismantled very quickly.

History is full of surprises like that, sadly!!!

19. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Wow, what were they going to do with it?

Back on topic..
    Have any of you seen a good picture of the shock wave from the blast?
    That would be a cool picture!

20. ralphy1976

i have not seen a picture of teh shock wave (yet) but i have seen a few films with decent footage.

maybe i can ask around and see what's available