The Beautiful Nuclear Explosion Thread

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Scar Symmetry, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

So while on principle I completely disagree with nuclear testing, I do appreciate pictures of the blasts for purely aesthetic reasons.

Here are some pictures I thought were beautiful and wanted to share with you:

Canopus, French testing, 1968

[​IMG]

Licorne, French testing, 1970

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Castle Bravo, US testing, 1954

[​IMG]

enjoy.

2. TomasO

TomasO SS.org Regular

somebody made a music video to demon burgers puritania with some interesting nuclear footage im diggin the atomic cannon

Btw Licorne is my new desktop lol

3. Scar Symmetry

Ivy Mike, US testing, 1952

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. defchime

defchime SS.org Regular

They look so tantalizing...

5. GazPots

GazPots Is A Complete Idiot.

The 2nd photo in this thread is truely breathtaking.

6. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 1 less ERGNESS

ok...at this point i will have to say that i do work for the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) for those of you who know what that is (or you can always google it!!) and i do have "a littel bit of" an interest in the matter.

if you want to get shivers down your spine, google out "the tsar bomb" or "tsar bomba" i even think there is a picture around....

by the way, those pictures are really nice but i think the French ones have been "re-worked" as the colours are far too bright for the kind of explosion we are talking about and the time they were taken at (60s/70s) and they were underwater (France only carried out 1 or 2 in air tests)...my grandfather took part in building this testing center after the 2nd world war...

So Dave thanks for that post, you made my dad and brougth a massive grin on my face!!! +1 for you my friend!!!

EDIT : of course if you want to talk nuclear test......

7. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

8. ralphy1976

Indeed.

As the story goes the tsar bomba was orignally supposed to be of 100 Megatons, but it seems that the engineers realised the enormity of such test and decided to "downgraded" to "only" half that power. Obviously this test was and is still the most powerful airborne test ever carried out (and i think the biggest nuclear test ever carried out)

...just read the caption of the graph...dooohh!!!:wallbash::wallbash::lol::lol:

This test being airborne it meant that the bomb had to be dropped from a plane. So the tsar bomba was dropped frmo a very high altitude to make sure that the plane carrying it would be outrange of the blast. Well this was just about right, as it seems that the crew narrowly escaped being caught up with their own device...

9. ZeroSignal

ZeroSignal Appreciates Kwolity Contributor

Am I the only one that is utterly terrified by those photos? D:

10. ralphy1976

well we are not glorifying them by no means, they have a kind of leathal beauty to them, but i am like you : the prospect of seing one "for real" isn't one of my most pressing priorities!!!!:nuts:

11. ZeroSignal

I'm not saying that anyone is! It's just that they really freak me out. Like I get the heeby-jeebies just looking at them. :lol:

ralphy1976 likes this.
  12. ralphy1976

well, in a way it is good that you such reaction, and it more people should consider it too, so for this my friend you have earned yourself a +1.

ZeroSignal likes this.
  13. ZeroSignal

Thank you! My dad grew up during the height of the MAD era so he always used to tell me how lucky I am growing up in a time when people don't have to be terrified that someone, somewhere is going to make a tiny mistake and doom humanity to atomic induced extinction. :ugh:

14. ralphy1976

Well you can tell your dad that he is a very wise man indeed. Yes we are born lucky or unfortunately not. One of my friend told me he was a schoolboy when the "cuban / russian nuclear missile" crisis occured and his teacher gathered them all at night and they prayed as they all believed it was the end of the world as they knew it.

Luckily it was not. Eventhough during the cold war both parties had ways beyond imagination to annihilate everything and anything, it seems with hindsight, that they feared to be the one to push the button. I am glad they did.

Nowadays the story is a little bit different but a lot of people are working to ensure that we never witness such thing, so as for now just take them as powerfully meaningfull shots!!

15. Scar Symmetry

yeah it's a shame that this is the only photo of this particular blast there is, I couldn't find any clearer shots which sucks seeing as it was in fact the largest explosion carried out on Earth.

thanks for posting though!

16. Scar Symmetry

found some vids :D

17. ralphy1976

ok 2nd video is obviously a computer generated one, but nonetheless, good. If you want to get an idea of what would happen to "anything" close to the point of detonation, i suggest you watch terminator 2. When Sarah conor dreams that she is in a ply ground and screaming but no-one can hear her...a bomb drops..watch that seen...

as for the tsar bomba, here are some points..

The fireball touched the ground, reached nearly as high as the altitude of the release plane, and was seen and felt almost 1,000 kilometres (620 mi) from ground zero. The heat from the explosion could have caused third degree burns 100 km (62 miles) away from ground zero. The subsequent mushroom cloud was about 64 kilometres (40 mi) high (nearly seven times higher than Mount Everest) and 40 kilometres (25 mi) wide. The explosion could be seen and felt in Finland, breaking windows there and in Sweden. Atmospheric focusing caused blast damage up to 1,000 kilometres (620 mi) away. The seismic shock created by the detonation was measurable even on its third passage around the Earth.[7] Its Richter magnitude was about 5 to 5.25.[8] The energy yield was around 7.1 on the Richter scale, but since the bomb was detonated in air rather than underground, most of the energy was not converted to seismic waves.

and to me the craziest one :
    Since 50 Mt is 2.1×1017 joules, the average power produced during the entire fission-fusion process, lasting around 39 nanoseconds, was about 5.4×1024 watts or 5.4 yottawatts. This is equivalent to approximately 1.4% of the power output of the Sun.[9] W00TTT!!!! :nuts::nuts::nuts:

18. Scar Symmetry

I changed the 2nd vid as I immediately realised upon posting it that it was fake haha.

:holy:

19. s_k_mullins

s_k_mullins !@#$?!

These explosion pics are beautiful, but a little scary too.
    When you think of the things that man can do with science, it is utterly astonishing...but fucking horrifying at the same time
    Just the idea that we are capable of producing an explosion this massive and devastating is remarkable, in a scientific sense, but it also scares the shit out of me knowing that our world and civilizations could be wiped out by nuclear holocaust
    I don't think anyone needs to have that much power.

20. GazPots

GazPots Is A Complete Idiot.

Whoever said the french pics were touched up is correct. But i feel it makes the photo that much more epic. It's desktop worthy (if only the rest were higher/high res).

If only there are more pics of other tests in a similar style.

There is a strange beauty to them.