The Artificial Intelligence Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by narad, Nov 2, 2017.

1. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Dammit you guys, does no one remember this?

'The system goes online August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

Jokes aside, interesting discussion. Keep it going please, it's interesting reading.

StevenC likes this.
  2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

On one hand, it's sort of just texture transfer. On the other hand, jeeeezzzuz:

[​IMG]

EverDream, bostjan and StevenC like this.
  3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Amazing.

We are seriously only months away from self-driving cars becoming generally available. After watching youtube videos of truckers not paying attention to the road, I am sold on autotrucks for the future.

With all of the police brutality out there lately, it makes me wonder how long it'll be before we replace law enforcement with AI is self-driving cars end up being a huge success. I'm sure many will imagine a future that looks like Robocop or The Terminator, or worse.

4. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Self driving cars are the future, no doubt about that.

@bostjan Say 10 years down the road, what are police going to do with all the free time they have from not having 'traffic stops'? They can't realistically think they can ticket a person who is not actually driving a car, do they? :coffee:

5. bostjan

It's one of many questions I have. I know firsthand that traffic cops can write you a ticket for something you didn't do. If they pull over a self-driving car for speeding, then what?

Cop: "License and registration."
    Car: Nervous beeping

?!

Also, how will insurance work?

EDIT: I looked it up and it already happened in California. A cop pulled over a google car and, I guess, no one knew what to do. The cop interviewed the passenger, then let the car go without issuing a citation. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 8:44 AM
  6. cwhitey2

:lol:

Insurance will certainly be an issue.

'I'm not liable, my car did it!....make it pay!' Maybe who ever designs the software and 'causes the car to crash' should be help liable..? :lol:

I think they seriously need to make some laws regarding these cars.

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

bostjan likes this.
  8. bostjan

There are a few profound implications for chess and shogi in that paper, which is exactly what I was wondering about. :yesway:

How long before American football teams start using AI to chose their plays ingame? And how long after that before the NFL bans the practice of doing so? :lol: And what are the odds that the first team to do so ends up being the New England Patriots?

...anyway, this makes me happy, and it happened in less time than I expected.

9. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I remember having a chat with a mathematician working as an insurance analyst (at one of the big German companies) who said they expect this will definitely not be an issue. They expect damages/accidents/injuries to go down significantly and earnings to go up big time even if they lower prices...

10. bostjan

That totally misses the point, though. When I buy insurance as a driver, I am paying a monthly fee on the fact that I am human and might make a mistake whilst driving. When company X makes a car that drives itself, and I buy it, there is a simple issue of principle that I am no longer driving the car, therefore, why should I pay for insuring myself?! Your buddy could lower his rates all he wants, but his product, in principle, might not even make any sense in a mass market twenty or thirty years from now.

TL;DR

Would I buy medical insurance on a robot?
    Would I buy a gas mask for a goldfish?
    Why would I buy driver's insurance for a driverless car?

cwhitey2 likes this.
  11. cwhitey2

How do they expect that (injuries anyways)?

The only thing that is changing is who operates the vehicle...a crash is a crash.

I will say it would be nice to have lower insurance costs though!

12. cwhitey2

Pretty much nailed it bostjan.

I have a feeling they will come out with new required insurance... They will call "sorry about your luck" insurance :lol:

13. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yea, I'll have to check it out (haven't read it yet, just other people's comments on it). AI companies are getting too much like...I don't know...any corporation that buys into things like NAMM or black friday. The big AI conference NIPS is this week, so one can expect DeepMind to have saved something to secretly release to coincide with it, and then this drops.

But what doesn't surprise me is the time -- from the sound of it, there's very little additional machinery on top of AlphaGo Zero. But apparently trained on 5,000 TPUs, which is an insane amount of compute power.

14. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Case in point, Intel tensor chipset launch picture:

[​IMG]

15. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I expect the exact same thing. Once 99% of the vehicles are driving autonomously, the number of incidents will drop close to zero.

16. MFB

MFB ExBendable

But do you think we'll ever reach a point where 99% of the vehicles on the road are self-driving?

There's the dilemma of in the case of an accident, does it kill the driver - if so, who in their right mind would trust society enough to follow traffic and not get themselves killed? Only counter to this could be post-accident damages/suits against whomever caused it but then how do you identify that person? Does it still hit the pedestrian? If so, it'd start to force society to adhere to the rules of the road, and maybe then could we change how they operate, but it'd still be an impossible sell from a manufacturer standpoint.

17. bostjan

I'm not sure I follow you clearly.

If a self-driving car hits someone, and the result is a serious injury or death, then I am certain there will be a very interesting legal case to follow, which will determine legal precedents on liability, which, in my mind, is still very nebulous at this time.

The first pedestrian to be struck by one of these will likely result in the same sort of debate.

However, on a large scale, let's be honest, and agree that the self-driving car will either a) be generally safer than a human driver, or b) have some serious systematic problems. To address the former, people are actually horrible drivers. I've seen people do really really stupid shit on the road. I even saw a dude in work van in a road rage altercation open his driver-side door and throw a shovel at another vehicle, which caused a domino-effect sort of havoc behind him. You'd never see a self-driving car do that (well, maybe in a sci-fi film). Even where I live now, in BFE, 20- and 30- somethings are almost every day getting high and drunk and wrecking their cars, usually causing serious injuries to themselves, even on roads where you don't see another vehicle for hours.

No offense to any Russian friends, but I have to say that the bad drivers in Russia are some of the worst drivers on the planet. (Just looks up Russian drivers on youtube - the giveaway is not the crazy stuff being filmed, but the average Russian's nonchalant react to seeing such crazy stuff - like a truck smashes through a barrier and goes into oncoming traffic and them vaporizes some poor little car, and the guy filming is like "...skuchniyi.") I lived there only a few months, but, during that time, I saw at least three pedestrians hit, and those were just the ones on sidewalks, and I saw people just doing the absolute most ignorant shit on the roads. Granted the people getting self-driving cars will not likely be the worst idiot drivers, but maybe the overall positive effect on road safety will be a welcome change for everybody.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM
  18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I don't disagree they'll be safer, but there's going to be deaths involved with them on either the pedestrian or operator's side, due to how they're forced to react to stupid humans, so I don't know if we'll reach 99%. I could see maybe, 50%, and I still put a chunk of that to our folks in EU/the rest of the world because they seem to realize the long term implementation of something and say, "OK, I won't walk like a jackass" vs. us in say Mass, who don't adhere to shit and we'd always blame the car for hitting us because well - "we're walkin' here!"

19. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

If someone is injured on your property, you are liable as the owner of the property. Likewise, if a piece of machinery owned by a business injures someone, the business, as owner, is liable.

In cases of death, injury, or damage to property resulting from bad "programming" of the AI, the manufacturer would most likely be liable. Otherwise, the principle of the owner being liable for damages resulting from his property will likely carry over to driverless cars, tooo, and the owner will be required to carry insurance to cover any potential injuries or damages caused by the car.

20. bostjan

If I borrow your car, and then drive it into a parked Ferrari, is your insurance going to cover that?

Bollocks.

If I drive a car, my insurance is assuming the liability, because that's the service for which I pay them. If I am no longer driving my own car, but I hire a driver, then either my driver needs his own insurance, or I need to insure him, in which case, his driving record and so on would be my prerogative. No way I'm putting a self-driving car on my insurance, just because it's not an appropriate level of liability for me. This stuff has to get figured out.

cwhitey2 likes this.