The 2012 Dean RC7X "Wraith"

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by J7string, Dec 3, 2012.

1. J7string

J7string SS.org Regular

What's up everyone? I'm doing a review of the 2012 Dean Rusty Cooley signature import model, RC7X Wraith.

Overview:

What I'm going to be going over is the price, features, purpose, feel, playability, sound, appearance, and uses.

Price: $1099 USD

The Dean RC7X Wraith is the newest to the Dean RC7 import line. It has all the features of the USA model, with the exception of the low pro Floyd Rose tremolo system. I'm not sure if it's an OFR, I haven't had a chance to open up the back and look. I'm pretty sure it's an FR-1000 series if not an original.

So that brings me to features:

Body/Top: Alder
    Neck: 3 pc. maple, Rusty Cooley spec
    Neck Joint: Rusty Cooley spec bolt-on
    Fretboard: Ebony
    Inlays: Pearl Crop Circle inlays
    25.5" Scale
    Pickups: Active EMG 707 neck + bridge position
    3-way pickup selector switch
    1 volume knob
    Bridge: Floyd Rose 7
    Case included

Purpose:

The purpose of this guitar was to eliminate all the problems guitarist, Rusty Cooley had in playing guitar. It addressed his needs as a shredder, and was marketed by Dean guitars to consumers worldwide. In essence, it is a shred/heavy metal guitar. If you're looking for versatility, this probably isn't the guitar for you.

Feel:

The feel of this guitar is very smooth and fast. Coming from Ibanez guitars to this, it was a very similar feel when it came to the neck. The neck is smooth, thin, and flat. Very reminiscent of Ibanez's Wizard ll neck. It's difficult to tell which neck is thinner, but the Dean neck definitely is very comfortable. The body is unlike any other guitar on the market. What makes the body unique is the deep and wide cutaway, with the sculpted horn, and where the neck meets the body, the wood above the neck joint is sculpted down to give your thumb a place to rest. At this position, you pinky rest comfortably on the 24th fret of the high E string, and from there you have complete unobstructed access to all 24 frets, with no risk of the horn digging into the back of your hand or wrist when going for big stretches. The tall frets definitely give this guitar an edge over any other import model, even the prior Dean RC7X. Most guitars I've played had medium frets, which if you like to play fast can be a problem. On this guitar, I have no problem digging into bends on this guitar, and the ease of pressing the strings down is great.

When I got this guitar, I ordered from Gearhounds.com, and I barely had to do anything to it to get it playing. The action was perfect, and the bridge was level, so I was sold on feel within minutes of playing.

Playability:

This is possibly one of the most user friendly, and idiot proof guitars out there. Everything about this guitar stays out of your way, and enhances your own technique and style. Rusty Cooley said, "The only limitations you have when you play this guitar are the limitations you set on yourself." That could not be more true. The comfort and the ease of access make this guitar arguably the best playing 7 string on the market. There really isn't much more to say on this topic, you really have to get your hands on this guitar to completely understand.

Sound:

Sound... If you know anything about EMG pickups, you know they are very high output pickups. In this guitar, they sound amazing.

Distorted bridge: Very tight, aggressive, loud, and punchy. Great for chugging and piercing leads.

Distorted middle: Not as aggressive as the bridge, but still pretty punchy and silky for leads.

Distorted neck: Very buttery and accentuated tone when it comes to leads. Sounds amazing for sweeps, and with enough gain you can get a John Petrucci sort of whipping when you alternate pick.

Now for clean tone. I will say this once: This is a shred guitar with EMG pickups. The clean tone WILL break up if you don't have your amp/guitar set correctly.

Bridge clean: VERY twangy, aggressive, poppy, and loud. Will break up your clean tone with your clean channel gain rolled up high enough. Even with amp gain and the volume on the guitar backed off it still has some kick to it.

Middle clean: Not as punchy and loud, sounds good if you back off on the volume.

Neck clean: Probably the best sound as far as clean goes. It's more mellow and warm sounding. Definitely not as harsh as the bridge. If you back off some on the volume it makes it that much better.

Overall, the tone of this guitar is amazing. Very well suited for the modern guitarist/shredder.

Appearance:

It looks just like the USA model, but inverted. It's got a black "Xenocide" graphic on a metallic white finish. It's got the pearl inlays... It looks great. The looks are what got me, I'm sure they'll get you too.

Uses:

Metal, metal, metal, metal, metal. In and out this is a metal/shred guitar. Though I'm sure if you tweak your amp just right and use some funky effects you can make this guitar do just about anything if you wanted. The guitar itself may not be versatile, but it can be influenced.

Conclusion:

All in all, this is a phenomenal guitar for the money. You'd be very hard pressed to find anything else in it's price range that can top it as far as features, playability,and feel goes. For what it is, and what it's for... I highly recommend you check one out for yourself. It's been great writing this review, hope it's been insightful. Cheers. :metal::shred::metal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. J7string

J7string SS.org Regular

EDIT: The bridge is a Floyd Rose 1000 series.

3. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

first off, thx for doing the review.

secondly, i love guitars w/graphics, but from a distance it doesnt look that great to me. kind of a cheap giger rip-off from the looks of it. can you go into more detail or show some close-ups?

thx

4. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Beautiful. I would positively devour one if I could find one in the UK, based on that well-written interview. My only addition would be a brass trem block :)

5. iRaiseTheDead

iRaiseTheDead Ashes Of Rebirth

Wow that looks awesome :D

6. J7string

J7string SS.org Regular

Oh wow, I was totally unaware anyone replied to this.

@M3CHKILLA: I assure you, this isn't a rip off. I'm not sure how much more indepth I can go on detail... And the closeups I got really support it being a rip off. But if you want to suggest what kind of pics you want, I'll put them up.