The 10 String Collaborative Design Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Tom Drinkwater, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yes, I know, that design went over like a fart in church. But don't let me scare everyone away! Someone out there must have some design skills they'd put to the good of the order!

2. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Took a few minutes to try out a couple quick ideas. I snagged your xen 9 string and the above 10 string mockups to use the necks.

[​IMG]

3. Jay Jillard

Jay Jillard I make things.

i'll take a crack at it if I get some free time today =]

4. Hollowway

Those are awesome! For a Candian, you sure designed that ergo one to look like the bottom half of the US. I think I see Texas and Florida there! :lol:

5. Knarbens

Knarbens Montag Custom Guitars

This one doesn't look too bad if you ask me. A few tweaks and it could be really cool.

6. Knarbens

Also took a few minutes to put my hands on the posted 10 string. I think it has to be Headless. Changed the perp fret to 8 for a more balanced fan and I drew a two horn body. Feel free to use/edit ...

[​IMG]

7. Hollowway

I do love that! But I believe the headless hardware was going to cost substantially more (IIRC).

8. Hollowway

What if we did two layers to the body, much in the way that the Masvidalien shape has layers. The two layers could form the classical rest position. I used my fancy design software again (aka Word) and came up with something to show you what I have in mind.
    We could also have a piece running the length of the body, like the fretboard on a Marleaux. That might help make a rest for the leg.

Anyone want to mess around with that idea? I suck at design.

[​IMG]

9. Knarbens

That's creative!

10. Jay Jillard

Jay Jillard I make things.

everything I drew looked like crap!

i like the last two posts, knar's as a single cut would look great, right now its too strandbergy.

love the layered approach though on that second one

11. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

can somebody try schecter ultra VI shape with a slightly extended upper bout?:D It's quite similar to the Stream but less weird. Maybe Stream upper horn stretched out would be cool

12. Hollowway

I'll try to fuss around later. The Schecter doesn't have that slanted back end, which would work really well with the fanned bridge. But I'm wondering if I shouldn't abandon that idea, and maybe just bevel the body back there to make it flow along the bridge.

13. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

This thread makes me wish I wasn't beyond completely useless at any sort of visual art.

14. Hollowway

Yeah, me too. I might have to go old school and draw something life sized so I don't have to fight with a mouse.

15. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

While I do find the idea of ten stringers quite interesting, I fail to understand the wish for absolutely wanting to go lower than low.

Now, given that it will per definition be low, the need for long scale is a given, which almost automatically excludes a balanced approach with a nice high top string.

I would think that going for a true-forth tuning starting at C from the 7th string and up, and as such, ending at a high F4#, would be doable even with at least, say, 28" or so on that top string.
    The lowermost couple of strings, still in true4th, would still require some looong scaling, and here Jay's 1-2 fret extended board would do the job just nicely.

This would all result in what I see as a more balance instrument, and not require an exaggerated fan - which would likely turn many off (myself included).

16. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

Go buy a sketch book, a pen and erazer gum, close your eyes for a bit, and simply start drawing whatever without thinking, just fill to paper what comes to mind. Max five minutes per basic item.
    Yup, it'll look like you-know-what in the beginning, but just forget those ideas that you can't draw, 'cause you can. We're all artists by nature.

I'd never drawn human things before, and recently did just that. Draw a face that does look like a face, and a hand even seen from front-on, pointing at me, looking kindof ok'ish ;)

/offtopic ends/

17. Hollowway

Yeah, idk what my deal is, but I want to go lower than low not because I need to, but to see what it's like. My longest scale guitar currently is 30", so I wanted to see what a much longer one would be like. And having a guitar with frets on the HS is a good idea. I remember Rob Guz's 11 had that, and it looked like a good idea.

18. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Well...the option of a short scale to go both very low and higher then normal is on the table here.

19. Hollowway

OK, I'm not gonna let this die! Either of these float your boat? They'll work for sitting and classical position. I can't figure out what would be cool in terms of bevels and contours, but I think that would help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. marcojolo

marcojolo SS.org Regular

In my mind this would be the ultimate Axe. A guitar with almost a full octave higher and lower than your standard 6 string. Add to that fourths tuning and it is quite the weapon IMO!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.