The 10 String Collaborative Design Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Tom Drinkwater, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Haha, that would definitely be crazy! I'd be down to try something like that, but I think that might be the extend of our club. :lol:

2. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Haha, for a 10 string, I could see going for a 11" fan.

3. Ram150023

Ram150023 NutzKustoms

Soooo... Just got done reading... Is a "fanned fretboard" a necessity for the low tuning? Can a 10 be done with a standard set up?

I understand the "mechanics" of fanning... String tension... But what is the huge draw to it? It seems very uncomfortable to play.

Please dont bite my head off for the previous statement... Im genuinely curious as to the "why"...?

4. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

My opinion doesn't get any weight in here, but wouldn't a 10 string with a 28-23 get you both the C#1 and the A4? I, personally in the way I write, would find the A4 much more useful than the G#0. And Ibanez gets away with the 28" 9er, is there anything really "bad" about the 28, or it just the same as the people against 27" 8's? If I was in the financial green, I would totally love to help this happen, but A) I'm not; and B) I'm not sure my hands are large enough to play a 10 string :lol:

Keep up the good work guys, I'd love to see you all pull something together!

EDIT: Also, in the A4+ Club Thread, there's a guy that has had the same High A on a 24" for months (according to him), so you could bump that up another inch to get the 29-24, but I've always liked flabby strings and the way it feels/sounds, so maybe I'm the minority.

5. Hollowway

Yeah, A4 is definitely a possibility. To get A4, we'd want it to be a reasonably reproducible thing. In that case, 24" is not ideal. 22" would work well. And yeah, you could do a 22-27 or a 22-28. But I just think the C#1 tone sounds better at a longer scale. Not that this is my sole decision. Although, there's a pretty good chance this will turn into a "10 string guitar run" with only one buyer - me. :lol:

As for the fan, it IS possible to do a 10 string in straight scales. You could even do it at a scale shorter than 30". But you're in the realm of trade offs by doing that. Longer scales make it easier to get lower notes to sound good. Shorter scales make it easier to get higher notes to sound good. Consider the piano. The best sounding pianos are the 10' long concert grands. But you can also buy a 4' 10" baby grand. So why doesn't everyone just do the baby grand, and put thicker strings on it? It's because it doesn't sound as good. And that's not a debatable point, like tone wood or digital vs analog. The physics of the strings come into play. I won't go into the explanations of all of that, but you can look it up. (Inharmonicity comes up a lot. And info on pianos.)
    That being said, a baby grand, when done well, can sound really, really nice. And what we're aiming for here is a baby grand of a guitar. If we wanted concert grand quality of the notes, we'd realistically build two separate instruments. But, much like those who buy baby grands, we are making compromises. A baby grand owner might not want to spend the money, or have the space for a huge 10 foot long piano. And we might want to get all the notes on one instrument because we're clinically insane and make poor choices with our money. Whoops! Freudian slip! What I MEANT to say is that we spend too much time on here dreaming up ridiculous instruments rather than practicing and becoming better musicians. OK, that's not a really good reason, but who the .... are you to judge me? Man, this conversation took a weird turn! "Mom, those guys on SSO are making fun of me again!"

6. Ram150023

Ram150023 NutzKustoms

@Hollow... I follow you 100%. Makes sense when laid out like that :lol:

And im 31... Haha i dont run to mommy! However my mom does go to metal shows! She went with me to After The Burial and The Faceless back in November!!

7. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater ERG/ERB Builder

If I offered a 10 string run and the specs were-

22.5"-28" a4 to c#
    Bolt on neck
    Hipshot everything
    Custom norstrand split single coil pickups
    Stainless steel frets
    Run price of $1700

Who would be in?

8. Ram150023

Ram150023 NutzKustoms

I really need to get my hands on a fan to see how easy / hard it is to play... Super intrigued.

@TomD... That is an offer thats hard to resist!! Time to chat with the wifey me thinks :lol:

9. Hollowway

I'd have to sit that one out. Probably. I may not be able to resist. But, scale that same thing up to 28 to 33.5 and I'm in 100%.

10. Tom Drinkwater

Given the cost projection of making a single 10 string including programming we're looking at something like $2200 retail to make it a viable project. It doesn't matter to me personally if we go long or short but we do need to have at least 4 people onboard with a single layout to get it down to the $1700 neighborhood. $2200 really isn't bad for a one off custom job though so run or no run somebody could get a pretty sweet ten for a decent price either way.

11. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

Eagerly awaiting the upcoming "Holloway OAF 10 String" Build Thread.

On topic: I would LOVE to get in, but I'm just not financially able to this year. That is my dream range on a single instrument. Sorry Tom, I'd love to. Hope some others get in on it though!

12. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I would *Love* to say I am in, but given the Canadian dollar right now, that's around 3K and I just can't swing it right now. :(

Love the scales though.

13. Tom Drinkwater

If we get it down to the $1700 usd it would be around $2400 cad. Not that $2400 is anything to sneeze at either! Its still a bunch of money.

14. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

What would it look like and what would the time frame on paying for it be?

15. Tom Drinkwater

I am pretty open to ideas for styling. $ depends on if anybody else jumps in. 10's are really niche so I doubt we'll see a real run. Please prove me wrong SSO!!!!!!

16. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Well...I should get a pretty monstrous tax refund as I didn't claim any credits through my employer last year...

I should really...really...really spend it on something else, but I do so love my OAF OXC...

17. Hollowway

I suck at doing design work (at least accurate design work), but my idea is to make it look like a Stream bass body, and add an addition cutout on the lower bout to rest it on the leg for classical style playing (almost like the strandbergs). To have it balance, and to reach all the frets, the bridge will have to be pretty close to the butt end of the guitar. Since the Stream style body has a body shape back there that will follow the fan, I think it would look cool. I'll see if I can design something, but I need to figure out a way to make the neck angles accurate. I'll see if I can export something out of fret find 2D.

18. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

^that sounds ridiculously futuristic and excellent.

19. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Yes yes yes. Streams are so lovely.

20. Hollowway

In my mind this looked way better. It's a stream with a leg cut out (a la strandberg). and OH MY GOD it looks like Tosin's Beluga. WTF, haha, now I know how they came up with that!

Anyway, I took the body design XEN Eric did for me years ago (with a 27-33" scale) and fashioned a craptastic body. Anyone want to take a crack at making this look less hideous? We could just go straight stream style, but I'd love a classical way of playing it. I did it in Word, since I don't have any proper drawing software.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.