Thai food kicks ass!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by distressed_romeo, May 8, 2006.

1. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

My brother is currently dating a Thai girl who came to stay with my family during the last holiday, and cooked an amazing meal for us all. Before she left she left us a list of what the best Thai curry pastes and so forth where, which meant I stocked up before coming back to uni...
    Just tried cooking myself a green curry, and omigod, I nearly came when I tasted it...sooooooooooooooooo good!

That is all I have to say...:)

2. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

Thai food rocks. can't say i've tried Thai women, yet :D

3. spifychild

spifychild Mel Contributor

Thai food is great. I tried it for the first time about two months and really liked it. Oh no, now I am in the mood for it.

4. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

I like Thai food too, we have a couple good Thai restaurants here. :agreed:

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I love Thai food, too! :yum:

All of the monosyllabic names are fun to learn, too.

6. noodles

noodles Contributor

Tai food > All Other Asian Foods

7. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

No, Noodles. You are declared FALSE. Japanese food > All other Asian foods. If you think otherwise, you've obviously never had Japanese food before (okonomiyaki, yakisoba, katsudon, gyudon, unajuu, sushi, tenpura, tonkotsu ramen, chashumen, tantanmen, takoyaki, yakiniku, karaage, yakitori, sukiyaki, nabe, etc. etc.). Japanese food whips Chinese food's ass so bad. Not only that, but Japanese-Chinese food kicks Chinese food's ass so bad it's funny. Japanese food makes Thai food look petty and childish. I'm glad I live in the country where I can eat most of my favorite food (although I miss American and Mexican food quite a bit. Asian food? I can get just about any Asian food in Japan).

That said, Thai food rocks pretty hard. It kicked my ass a few times. I personally love Thai curry (I think it's better than Indian curry). I've had it all. Red curry, yellow curry, blue curry, green curry... damn good stuff.

8. noodles

noodles Contributor

Oh, I've had Japanese food...as well as Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Phillipino food. Mongolian BBQ should also be mentioned.

I still stand by my statement, although Japanese food is second on my list. There is a place next to my office that has great Chicken Teriyaki, and I go there every Monday because it is brown rice day.

Tai food just reins supreme with it's complex flavors derived from subtle use of a large variety of different spices and flavors.

9. Naren

That means you have just not had real Japanese food or enough Japanese food. Teriyaki is actually one of my least favorite Japanese foods (it's good, but way low on my list). And I've never had brown rice in Japan before. Which makes me believe that the restaurant near your house is Japanese-American food or Japanese-Chinese-American food.

I would rate Asian food like this:

1. Japanese food
    2. Korean food
    3. Thai food
    4. Mongolian BBQ
    5. Chinese food
    6. Vietnamese
    7. Fillipino

In that order. Japanese food REIGNS supreme. I think it has the most diversity in all Asian food, the most high quality tastes, most distinctive tastes, and some of the most addicting foods ever. I've had times where I'm literally dying to have some takoyaki or okonomiyaki and I'll kill to get some (I get the same way with pizza and sushi sometimes).

10. noodles

noodles Contributor

Now you have Korean over Tai, too? Don't make me buy a plane ticket to Japan so I can kick your ass. ;)

11. Naren

What the fuck? How can you not like Korean better than Thai? Bibinba, yakiniku, and chijimi (Japanese names for these Korean foods) are some of my alltime favorite foods. I mean, Bibinba (Bibinbop or something like that in Korean) is one of the most perfect foods.

Don't make ME buy a plane ticket to the US to kill you. ;) And don't think I won't. Having no taste in good food is a serious crime where I come from.

12. noodles

noodles Contributor

That's it, poll time...

13. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Japanese, Thai, and Korean are quite different foods and if you can't tell the difference than there's no helping you... you're too far gone. Pills won't work at this stage :noplease: ;)

Rev.

14. Naren

Absolutely. Who said they can't tell the difference? I think that Japanese, Thai, and Korean are the 3 most different foods in Asia. People who have never had Japanese or Korean before oftentimes assume that they are like Chinese when they are nothing even remotely alike. Okay, all 3 use rice with or in their food. And then...?

15. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Sorry, I misread Noodles post incorrectly. I thought he said "Tai food **equals** All Other Asian Foods" rather than is greater than. Sorry my bad!

Rev.

16. noodles

noodles Contributor

This made me think of my biggest complaint with Asian food in general: it is hard to find authetic cuisine in America. I live in the DC area, and I can confidently say that most of the Chinese restraunts are owned by Koreans. I've got a Korean friend, and he walks into most of them, speaks Korean to them, and orders Koren dishes. They make 'em for him. The sad truth is most Americans don't no the difference, so other ethnic groups just open up Chinese carry-out joints because they know they will make money.

I never get Chinese food, because I don't know where to begin looking for the real thing.

Japanese places around here generally serve bad sushi, or bad tempura to people who come to watch guys flip knives. Since I dislike sushi with a passion, I stick to the tempura...when I can find a good steak house, and then I always make resevations at a particular chef's table.

Korean, Vietamese, and Phillipino fall into the same category: cheap places with crappy food, or hideously expensive fine dining. Tai food is about the only non-Chinese food you can find that covers the entire financial spectrum. :wallbash:

17. Naren

That's weird. In my experience, every single Japanese restaurant I've ever been to in the US has been very very expensive. I went out to sushi with my ex-girlfriend 5 years ago and it was like $50-60 for the two of us. In Japan, to get the exact same stuff, it'd cost about $20. The only thing in Japan that is cheaper than the US is Japanese food (other foods are cheaper in the US).

In fact, where I used to live, only 1 of the Japanese restaurants was owned by Japanese. The other 4 were owned by Koreans. And there were only 2 Korean restaurants where I lived and they were both very expensive. The food wasn't bad, but it was only 1/10 as good as the Korean food I've had in Japan. 99% of the Korean food I've eaten has been in Japan.

I've never been a fan of American-Chinese food. Japanese-Chinese food is AWESOME. Real authentic Chinese food, in general, isn't that good (although that depends on what part of China we're talking about. China is a huge country with lots of different food style. My friend spent a month traveling all over China. He said that some areas had amazing food and other areas had food that was so bad, he hated the days he was staying in those regions).

I never understood "Japanese steakhouses" since steakhouses in Japan are usually Western style (since steak comes from North America/Europe).

But, knowing that information, I now know that you've never had REAL Japanese food, Noodles. It's so sad... :noplease:

18. noodles

noodles Contributor

Pretty much the curse of the American food market. They don't serve you the real deal, but rather what the common person expects it to be. :wallbash:

19. Naren

So true... I do like "Tex-Mex" food a lot, though. Although that's more a mixture of American and Mexican food from around the border than a shop just saying "Americans won't like this. Gotta change it." (There is, of course, some of that, too, depending on the restaurant)