Texas SSO Members Check In

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by M3CHK1LLA, Jul 27, 2013.

1. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

I was livin on the island when Rita came. We left whatever morning that was and I was amazed that Port Industrial was so quick/ empty. Then we hit 45 at the causeway... Holy Shit! As soon as we got onto the causeway it was bumper to bumper. Normally it was about a 3.5-4 hr drive to Seguin ( where we had a place to stay). But in that evacuation mess it took us 20+ hours. We took HWY 6 because we had heard that if we had stayed on 45 north, that we might not be able to exit onto I-10 to head west. TBH it looked like 45 was even worse... broken down cars, no gas, vehicle fires, etc. Scariest part was being on HWY 6 in the middle of the night with a pickup loaded with about 30 gals of gas... people walking by, peering into the bed, maybe contemplating stealing our gas/ our truck.. and absolutely no police presence at that point. It was rough.

We moved to the hill-country shortly before Ike leveled Galveston/ Bolivar and I'm glad that we did. Ike was just brutal.

Stay safe Tx/ La residents!

watson503 likes this.
  2. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I remember that one. A tornado spun off from the hurricane took off the chimney (just the chimney) of my house, but trashed the neighbor's fence, garden and shed. None of us were hurt and we got an extended summer vacation.

But it looks like Cindi has veered off towards Florida, so Houston shouldn't get too much bad weather from it. We'll still get rain, but nothing like Allison. But I have friends who have sent picture from Galveston and the jetties are already underwater from the storm surge. Looks like good surfing, though, so if you're into surfing, you may get a few hours of good waves before the rain starts.

watson503 likes this.
  3. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Yeah, Ike was much worse than Rita. I still remember seeing quite a few 35' to maybe 80' boats sitting on I-45 several miles north of the water weeks after Ike had hit.

4. High Plains Drifter

Totally. So much more damage. Almost brought a tear to my eye when I went back down there to visit... and that was almost a year later. Ike messed the island up so bad.. and left Bolivar looking absolutely eerie/ barren. I miss Galveston sometimes, but I know I'm missing the OLD Galveston... The one that doesn't exist anymore for a multitude of reasons. Bittersweet reunion when I was there. Fwiw, the 2011 Fires up here were equally unsettling as any hurricane/ TS that I dealt with on the coast. I remember a few mornings going outside and seeing smoke in all directions and seeing ash falling and dancing in the back yard. For months, the night time was unnerving because you had to sleep lol. But at night... the hills stayed constantly illuminated by bright orange and red... silhouetting the landscape... the hills, pine trees, homes, etc. That sucked and it'll be a long recovery. Some of the most scenic and heavily wooded areas around here, burned. 34,356 acres of pines, homes, etc... poof!

5. Bjorn218

Bjorn218 SS.org Regular

San Antonio here

6. Handbanana

Handbanana SS.org Regular

Best kolaches in the state, go!

7. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

So, I could use the help of a TX setup sherpa on a couple guitars. Not someone to set them up for me, but guide me as I do it. I originally posted what's below in the general classifieds, but basically nobody even looks in there. At @M3CHK1LLA 's suggestion, I'll just do what I should have done in the first place and put it here. :lol: Hopefully none of the mods disapprove.

I've looked at Youtube videos and read articles, but my chimp brain just learns this sort of thing more easily by having somebody walk me through it in person. One Floyd Rose that I also want to block, and one with a TOM bridge. Helping with one would be awesome, both on one or two different days would be super duper awesome. I know people's time is limited, so I want to be reasonable and easy to work with.

Will give beer of your choice or $ in exchange for friendly guidance.

Houston or College Station area are preferable, but Austin would be fine too if there aren't any takers nearby. Shoot me a PM if you wanna be a cool and helpful dude. Thanks!
    :cheers:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  8. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

Smoked Porter, is there one part of the setup that you're wanting help with? Or a whole setup in general?

9. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

@BornToLooze , with the TOM bridge, it's mainly getting the neck relief right that I'm having trouble with. I understand adjusting intonation and action at the bridge.

With the Floyd, same thing, but add in the pain in the ass of getting the trem flush.

10. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

just saw this list of stolen gear in houston. not sure if its anyone here, but i thought we could keep and eye out and help this guy. also, hopefully none of us buy any of it cause all s/n's turned into police.

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/6185791639.html

11. guitarjitsumaster

guitarjitsumaster seven times seven

Lovelady Texas now, between Houston and Dallas

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  12. M3CHK1LLA

is it nice there? sounds like it's in the middle of nowhere.

13. sezna

sezna undermotivated

anyone around san antonio or houston wanna do a meetup sometime? I'm in both cities pretty often

14. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I'm probably the only other person on here that knows where it is.

15. High Plains Drifter

Stay safe out there, Central & SE Texas brothers!

I'm about 20 mins east of Austin down 71. If you need something please let me know and I'll see if it's something that I can help out with.

M3CHK1LLA and watson503 like this.
  16. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

Rain just started picking back-up over here in Jersey Village on the NW-side of Houston, things should be ramping-up as time progresses this evening and over the next day(s) or so. I've lived in Houston nearly all of my life and always ridden these things out - Alicia, Allison, and Ike have been the worst as far as flooding, destruction, and power outages -but you never really know how these things are going to go and my biggest fear is losing power. I hope everyone fares well and stays safe.

17. High Plains Drifter

Hasn't even rained a drop over here yet.

I'm so glad that I had already moved to the hill-country by the time Ike blew in. Rita was my last one and she wasn't much. I was down there when Allison came ashore and I couldn't believe the precipitation. I don't even think that Allison was at hurricane status when she made landfall iirc but that torrential rain was insane nonetheless! Went kayaking on Dickinson Bayou just a couple days later... stupid, stupid, stupid lol!

Hopefully it won't get too bad up here but I've got a lot of large old trees on my property so I'm a little nervous about that. We're expecting to lose power sometime tonight but we'll see. I know we're going to be on the wet side up here so thankfully I'm not in a low-lying area.

ThePhilosopher and M3CHK1LLA like this.
  18. M3CHK1LLA

you guys stay safe...hope y'all were prepared.

also, beware of the criminal element that tend to come out in times like these.

19. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

So far so good in Katy, there's some rain (nothing terrible) but we are mostly seeing persistent strong wind gusts. We have a stockpile of necessities and grilled up some chicken to keep in the refrigerator as an easy protein snack. The most difficult piece will be how to feed our 4 month old if power goes out.

M3CHK1LLA and watson503 like this.
  20. High Plains Drifter

My thoughts truly go out to you... having an infant to care for throughout situations like this. I'm really curious what the rain-totals are gonna be by Mon-Tues.

We haven't yet lost power here. It's slowly been getting windier with some prolonged heavy bands of rain but no notable thunder/ lightning... just more and more steady squalls. Still a long way to go though. I fear that CC area is really having a tough time by now. I'd guess there's gonna be a ton of flooding throughout the state into Sat eve/ Sun morning.

M3CHK1LLA and ThePhilosopher like this.