Terrorist Attack in Nice, France

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Alex Kenivel, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

My singer is in France visiting family for his birthday, and I just about crapped my pants when I heard this news.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...y-france-attack-promenade-des-anglais-vehicle

2. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

Lemme start by saying this is a terrible tragedy, and I feel for the citizens of Nice. Absolutely horrific. My thoughts are with them (and with Turkey), especially the fellow SSOers who are over there right now.

I do have to say a couple things, though.

It's definitely not a "genocide" by any means, I'm not sure why you chose that word - tragedy, mass killing, terrorist attack, sure. But definitely not a genocide.

Second, and this is a much bigger point to me, is the sheer lack of coverage this is getting. The fact that you just heard about it now is quite telling - it's barely been in the news at all. It was on the Facebook trending topics for all of 30 seconds yesterday, and there's essentially no mention of it now - did not enough people die for it to deserve a special profile picture filter or hashtag? I just don't understand it.

I don't want to take away from the actual discussion about the incident, though. 2016 seems to be turning into one of the most... tumultuous years, to say the least, that our generation has lived through.

3. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I wouldn't use the word genocide either, as that tends to bring up images of long term mass killings. Still, by definition, it qualifies I'd imagine.

It's insanely fucked up, and a damn shame. It's appalling to think that this is just the world we live in where people are willing to murder large groups because of their beliefs. I honestly don't know what to say, other than I wish everyone the best who is effected by tragedies like this all over the world. It's incredibly disheartening to know that there is little to nothing I can do to help. Hell, I'm too poor to even donate money anywhere.

4. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

This is a tragedy and it enrages me to no end. I made the mistake of watching videos of the aftermath. My advice is: don't. Don't let yourself become desensitized to it like I've been. This is war. And the most depressing part about all of this is that the very first thought, before I ever thought "this is horrible", is this: "not again".

I'm also pretty well in to a bottle of something or other. Apologies for things.

5. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Senor Vorhees - In the definition you're quoting, the term "group" is being used to denote that when genocide is the correct term, it's a targeted group - Jews, Muslims, Black People, Latino, etc.

This isn't that - the killing here was indiscriminate and unorganised, aimed at a group of people predominantly of one group but not exclusively so.

Genocide is absolutely the wrong term to use here, and while it may seem like a minor point, I think it's incredibly important to use the right language when discussing events like this - Genocide is a term that in this context is only being used to (Through it's more known historical significance) sensationalise and exaggerate something that shouldn't be sensationalised or exaggerated in any way.

6. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Perhaps semantics, which has no business in this thread and I apologize. I only meant to point out that only very technically does it fit the definition, provided what I heard was correct. (ie: Radical Muslim aiming to eradicate the "infidels" sort of thing, which is more or less the whole point behind radical Islam.)

You're right though. Using scary words like that is just trying to sensationalize and exaggerate. This situation doesn't need exaggerating, as it is incredibly dark and fucked up on it's own without the help.

edit: A decent read for what constitutes genocide can be found here: http://www.preventgenocide.org/genocide/officialtext-printerfriendly.htm

7. Alex Kenivel

Yes, I admit am not the best with words, I apologize, but I think what happened matters a lot more than my lack of eloquence and I didn't mean to exaggerate what happened. I honestly spent the least amount of time on the thread title and didn't put a lot of thought to it.

8. Lax

Lax SS.org Regular

Who cares about the word used ?
    I'm in Nice, it happened down to my street, I rarely felt so much anger, because bastille day is a children oriented celebration, only a stupid coward would aim for kids !
    I have friends who where there, they're are schocked beyond words.

You're all right, the coverage is very light, a lot of foreign friends asks me what's happening.

9. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

Not a genocide, and didn't just 'happen' because someone got weird in his head.
    It is merely the latest event in the international Tour d'Terror, i.e. arranged to be able to make the public demand more actions against the created terrorism, so wars can be continued against the same, so the military industrial complexes doesn't go bankrupt, so the banks, who finances the whole shebang, can continue dragging money out of our asses, i.e. by arranging more dept, which is really modern feudalism.

Driver got shot, so cannot be interrogated. Had this been possible, I bet it could be determined that he'd been through one of the variants of MK-Ultra.
    I said 'could', because proper examinations never takes place.

Always use the mechanisms know as Qui Bono - who benefits, follow the money, and observe how they use the all eternal concept of Problem, Response, Solution.

10. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

11. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

truly a terrible thing . I have no idea how you deal with people who are prepared to drive trucks into crowds .

scary times

12. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

With bullets.

13. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

:cool:

14. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

can i ask a question? why the hell is the thread still open or the title not been changed to remove the term genocide?

the word genocide is a word that possess strong and horrible connotations and this thread is a cheapening of it.

i find it offensive... not as a descendant of an ethnic group that was a victim of genocide, but as someone hates the cheapening of language

15. Maybrick

Maybrick SS.org Regular

OP wants dem clicks

In all seriousness though, I do agree.

16. vilk

vilk Very Regular

yeah, sometimes when I really want to feel like a victim I have to fabricate some silly reason to be offended as well

dudeman just used the wrong word. Oh, and this is qualified by that I am the descendant of an ethnic group that was a victim of genocide.

17. Alex Kenivel

Sorry to offend. No click bait intended, thats not why I come here. Thanks to whoever changed the title for me. I couldn't figure out how to do it. But in short:

Me no English good