Terrible Pun Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bostjan, Sep 8, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Not really a pun, but along the lines of "...walked into a bar..." jokes and science jokes, why not?

The neutrons say "Here ever were we notice even won't you. Through passing just we're, okay it's." The bartender says "We don't serve your types around here." Two neutrinos walk into a bar.

(This joke is sort of dense)

Two chemists walked into a bar. The first said "I would like an H2O." The second, rest his soul, said "I would like an H2O, too."

A Higgs Boson walks into a church and says "Wait, you can't have mass without me!"

In my opinion, absolute zero is just OK.

He'd better keep an ion that.

Edika likes this.
  2. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

Guitar player: Godz fck'n dammit, I always have problems with my G-string; never feels right between my fingers.
    Girl friend: Oh baby, I know exactly how you feel..

3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I don't get this one in the sense of why you're writing from the last sentence to the first and I assume that the first (or better yet last) neutrons are actually neutrinos. The bartender would have felt the neutrons passing through him that's for sure :D.
    Even though neutrinos are subatomic particles and fermions, they don't have "time travelling" properties as tachyons are supposed to have with their theoretically calculated speed over the speed of light (I'm not sure if that was proven in a synchrotron) that would account from the reverse syntax.

Anyway I think I ruined the joke enough for people that got it but didn't get it but I'm obviously missing some information that caused me to over analyse it.

bostjan likes this.
  4. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

Invisibility might be technically possible, but don't expect to see it anythime soon.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I guess I had not had enough coffee, and ruined the joke.

Well, controversially, neutrinos were measured to move faster than the speed of light. It proved to be a sort of mis-estimation of uncertainty, but, oddly, repeat experiments have shown neutrinos to move faster than light, but with a lot of caveats. 1. The amount faster is always inside of experimental uncertainty, but, looking at metadata, it does appear that it's consistently enough just north of light-speed that it leaves the measurement in a weird gray area. 2. Some results have been slower than light, but not as many measurements as such.

Ultimately, I guess, it's not really something people much talk about any more. Maybe neutrinos have some interesting small amount of negative mass or something. Most likely, the measurements are just not quite as precise as we think they are, and there's nothing really that interesting going on, though.

Edika likes this.