Ten metal riffs everyone should know?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Drew, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Yes. There are a few other songs in Bb as well (which I realized when I tried to figure out a bunch of Sevendust songs). But like 90% of them are in B. If I remember correctly, I think there was one in something really bizarre like G# (not sure on that, though).

2. Naren

3. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

My band covered Deadset and Trust and our singer was flat. :scratch: We kept giving him shit only to later find out that the song is Bb. :lol: We had to tune down which was a pain in the ass. In order for it to sound right which our singer told us he wouldn't play the song unless we were in the right key. Oh well, the song rocks. :yesway:

4. Shawn

Saw Machine Head open up for Crowbar and Morbid Angel July 1994 in Boston. They were great live but Morbid Angel was even better. :metal:

5. Naren

A band I was in was going to cover "Waffle" (because the other guitarist/singer wanted to do it). And all of our songs for that band were in standard or drop D (I didn't have a 7 at that time). So, when I figured out the song, I thought "This is gonna be crazy if I have to tune all the way down to drop B." So I just transcribed it to standard and used a really weird distortion. It didn't sound NEARLY as good as the original, but it sounded pretty good for a drop B song played in standard.

6. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

7. Chris D

Chris D Fiddich or Morangie???

Yeah, cheers for that vid link...

8. Shawn

Waffle is a great tune. I love Denial the best off Home. :yesway:

You know, Sevendust has alot of cool guitar shit. They're probably up there for me in the top 10 bands that I like.

9. Shawn

10. Naren

Denial used to be my favorite off Home, but now Headtrip is. That song is so awesome.

I can't understand why Vince put "Sevendust" in the same category as Korn and Limp Bizkit. Sevendust has A LOT of VERY cool "guitar shit." And they've got solos too. Think of the AWESOME solo at the end of black. If you think Sevendust sounds anything like Korn or Limp Bizkit (no sevens, no rap, no stupid lyrics, with solos, with lots of skill and texture), then you should listen to Denial, Headtrip, Black, Shine, or any of those songs and your mind will completely change. I've always thought that Sevendust had one of the coolest combination of 2 guitars, where both guitars are almost always playing different stuff.

I think Vince has probably never even heard Sevendust before...

(You've got me bitter, Vince. I could take the Nirvana jabs, but the Sevendust thing is going too far... :goes into a corner and cries: )

11. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I saw a few music videos for seven dust, and i just couldnt get into it, for what thats worth. I'll add another badass riff:
    Death - Spirit Crusher -verse riff.

12. Regor

Regor Double Edge FTW Contributor

Correction, HAD a lot of cool guitar shit. I loved their first album... little disappointed in the 2nd album... didn't get anything after that... didn't like what I heard.

13. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

Oh yes! I love that solo. Black is one of my favourite Sevendust songs, but Animosity is my favourite ablum. I haven't heard the new album yet, but I've got to get it. I hope it's better than Seasons. That was a big steaming pile of shit.

14. Naren

Well, that's a difference in opinion. I think their second album was their best. I'd rank their albums in this order. Best: Home (second album) 2nd: Sevendust (first album), 3rd: Animosity (third album), fourth: Seasons (fourth album).

Seasons is an "okay" album. I wouldn't call it a "steaming pile of shit", but it's not nearly as good as Home, Animosity, or Sevendust. I haven't heard the new album, but I can't imagine it's as good as Home, Sevendust, or Animosity.

I would agree that they HAD a lot of cool guitar shit in the sense that Clint Lowery recently quit the band...

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

"My Ruin" is possibly the greatest thing to come from the "nu metal" movement, bar none. That song fucking OWNS, the riffs, the vocals, the dynamic range... That, to me, is the most fully actualized track on their debut.

-D

16. Naren

Pretty amazing song... I've never considered Sevendust "nu metal", but they oftentimes get lumped in there. They're definitely not metalcore, speed metal, or whatever, but nu metal doesn't seem to fit at all to me... I mean, listen to a song like "Black" and I can't even imagine how you could call that "nu metal" except for the fact that it was metal and it was new.

Well, anyway, I think I've shown how much a fan I am of Sevendust (at least Sevendust before Seasons, which I still think is an "okay" album) too much today... better back down...

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Call it modern metal, then. They're nu-metal the way Godsmack is, not the way Limp Bizkit is - slightly more jarring, chunky guitars, strong sense of groove, and deeper, post alt rock vocals.

See, this is why I don't get worked up on genres. :fawk:

18. Naren

Yeah, "modern metal" is a good term. I "get worked up on genres" in this case because "nu metal" has a very negative name and reputation attached to it. Even though bands should be looked at individually, somebody says "Well, nu metal bands like Sevendust" and some people respond with "What...? They're nu metal...? Then they suck."

And stuff... yeh... do ya dig? uh huh. yeaah. :cool:

19. Shawn

To each his own. I thought after their first debut, they kept getting better.
    Animosity is my favorite album by Sevendust. :)

20. Shawn

:agreed: GREAT tune! Good call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.