Tell me about the Ibanez RG7421

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by KailM, Sep 14, 2018.

1. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Hi guys -- I'll cut to the chase, I just saw that my local store received one of these that seems to be in decent condition. I haven't had a chance to check it out in person yet.

This would be my first 7-string guitar, which I've been debating on getting for years. What attracts me to maybe trying my hand at a 7 is that I'd be able to play E Standard songs and then have the low B for the chuggaz. I've no interest in tuning below B standard or getting into djent. This would primarily be used for teaching lessons (classic and hard rock + old school metal and playing covers, with the added bonus that I could easily play some death metal using the low-B.)

I don't know anything about Ibanez guitars, so I have no idea if this is an entry-level 7, midrange, or what. They're asking $225 for it, and I may be able to trade an amp I've been trying to get rid of (unsuccessfully). I'm not a snob when it comes to guitars, but I do want something very playable. By that, I don't demand high-end, but I don't want something that I'm going to notice down the road inhibits my playing.

Is this guitar worth a serious look as a first 7-string? Or should I wait until I've got the money for something higher-end? They have a new PRS SVN that's sweet -- but I don't have $820, haha. What's the value with this model, and what would the resale be like?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

First things first: is this an older late 90's/early 00's Japanese made RG7421 or one of the newer, Indonesian made ones?

Since you have the opportunity to play it in person, regardless of what it actually is, you'll be able to decide if it's a guitar worth buying.

KailM and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

Definitely try before you buy.
    I had an RG7321 and 7421 for years and years, they're solid guitars, but the stock pickups were terrible imo.
    Resale is prob going to be difficult, they're relatively common and inexpensive models to begin with. Best case you'd break even, or close to that.

KailM likes this.
  4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

That’s about market value for a 7421. It’s a sweet deal if it’s an old Japanese build with the 7620 neck. Sometimes they’ve already had nice pickup upgrades too. If it’s a bone stock Indo, then definitely try it first. It’s still not a bad value at $200, but there are better examples available in the $350 range if you keep your eyes peeled.

KailM likes this.
  5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Thanks for the input fellas! I'll get in and try it out this weekend if I get a chance, and I'll take a look at the specs. I guess the only thing that really matters is if it feels/plays nice. I don't care what pickups it has because I've already got a plan for what's going in the bridge. ;)

6. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I bet you do... :D