Tell me about the DiMarzio D-Sonic

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Sep 5, 2018.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Got an LTD Horizon H2 coming soon. It has the stock pickups, and I'm looking to check these out in case they end up being ass. We'll see.

But yeah, it's a swamp ash body, maple bolt-on neck, rosewood body. Trying to gauge some opinions on this pickup.

I like bright and tight. Growly midrange. Not a lot of bass. I hear the pickup can do the former 3 with the bar near the bridge, but I hear it can be kinda bassy. How true is that?

I was checking out the Tremonti Treble and Duncan Nazgul, but I like to broaden my horizons. Always been curious about this pickup.

2. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

I only have experience with the 7 string version in a Epiphone LP7.. I think its a tight pickup and not bassy, has a cocked wah midrange that cuts trough the mix and is great for soloing. Because of that it may not sound good with or need a tube screamer boost. Its one of the few bridge pickups I really like for leads.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

I really loved that pickup when I demoed it. If i hadn't found other pickups that do basically the same vibe but better (ie MCP afwayu and guitarmory patriot) I would have held onto it.
    It's a kickass pickup for metal rhythm, but is kind of meh for other stuff imo.
    It's not exactly a warm pickup though, so it might be a bit bright in a swamp ash guitar. It was relatively bright even in my prs mushok.
    I didn't find the low end to be excessive, but it definitely has more low end than the nazgul.
    The illuminator would give a similar vibe, but with better cleans and less bass response imo.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

I like bright, so yeah. :lol:

I'd be willing to try the Illuminator. I actually wanna keep in the spirit of the EMG 81 in the bridge, just with more high end shimmer.

5. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Bright, tight and very artificial sounding and with a stiff feel. Hated it, was able to return it fortunately.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

d activator is more inline with the emg 81, but I hate that pickup and can't recommend it over the d-sonic or illuminator. the d-activator felt bloated and less tight than either of those choices. the d-sonic would be the grindiest and meanest by far ime

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

I had one as well. I felt it had even less brightness than the EMG. :lol: And had a muddy low end. Was balanced in the worst of ways for my taste.

I'll probably try the D-sonic, unless I cave and just get the 81/S combo. :lol:

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

So basically everything I'm looking for. Got it. :rofl:

9. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

Have to agree with the bright and tight. It don't think it's overly bright. I actually think it's perfect. It does carry some lows but they aren't overbearing. Not like the crunchlab. It does have a midrange hump, but it's not bad, and really helps keep things from getting flubby when you tune down, which is what it was made for really. I disagree with it being stiff and artificial.

I have a 6 in an old ibanez rs 440, and 7 in a schecter omen cheapie 7 string. I love them both. It's by far my favorite pickup on the market. It just does everything I need in a pickup.

10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I really liked my D Sonic that I had in a Les Paul (i.e. -- heavy as hell mahogany). I tuned to D Standard with that guitar. I didn't think it was a very bright pickup, but that could have been because it was a dark sounding guitar. It was just right for brightness, in my experience.

It has low-end, but it's still very tight somehow. I absolutely loved it for Lamb of God-style chugging rhythms and death metal meets thrash. I didn't play much for leads in those days, just rhythm, so I can't comment there. I had another guitar with Blackouts at the same time, and they sounded nothing alike. The D Sonic had way more dynamics and was a lot warmer and clearer, with less fizz. I disagree with the comment above that it's "stiff." I didn't get that feel at all. FWIW, I always ran the bar toward the bridge and never even tried it the other way. However, it's been about 10 years since I owned one, so take that for what it's worth.

11. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have always been curious about that pickup also. I always found it strange it was not that popular despite sounding like it should be around here. I do have a Crunch Lab 7 which I always thought was pretty good.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

Well I ordered one. They seem rare used, so I pulled the trigger on the first one I saw. :lol:

Shask, AkiraSpectrum and KailM like this.
  13. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

You will have to tell us what you think about it.

I used to be a huge Dimarzio fan years ago, but it seems like I haven't been a fan of them for awhile. The Deactivator sounded like a neck pickup mixed with a single coil. It was awful. I dont think I have bought one since, lol.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

Shit, the DA I tried had no treble, so it was better than my experience. :lol:

Hoping this is the opposite. I like bright pickups with tons of midrange growl.
    Now I'm Looking for a single coil rail pickup. Either the DiMarzio Cruiser, GFS Lil killer 10K, or the Wilde (Bill Lawrence) L45S. Basically something that's bright but with lots of body. Like the EMG 60.

15. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, it seems like the last few I tried had the fat low end like a neck humbucker, but then had that treble quack like a single coil. Drove me crazy. It was just a weird mixture.

I do like the Crunch Lab 7 I have in my RG7321 though. Not my favorite pickup, but it has a nice mid crunch to it. It seems like Duncans always have a better chug to them though.

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

Well for the neck pickup, I decided to get some generic rail pickup. If I dig the guitar and D sonic, I'll get a Dimarzio Fast Track or BKP Cobra.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

So, regretful bump.

I ended up not getting the D-Sonic. :lol: I got the guitar yesterday, and TBH the bridge pickup sounds killer. I was expecting it to suck, but it actually rocks pretty hard. Neck pickup is another story.

Dude hasn't shipped the pickup yet, so I'm asking for a refund. Next time I need to change pickups, though, I'm considering the D-sonic.

19. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Eh I would just get it, and try it out. If you like it cool, if not post it for what you paid, but atleast then you will know if you like it.

20. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Might as well try it out if it's paid for :shrug: I usually have a couple of spare pickups handy in case I feel like a different flavor whenever I get around to changing strings.

EDIT: that, and I'm also curious about the D-Sonic :lol: