Tech21 Trademark 30 (with clips! and pics!)(for Bob)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Drew, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Ok, so by now most of you have heard the story - the Nomad's kind of fucked at the moment, and pending eventual un-fucking, I figured I'd better grab something to practice/jam with. Enter: Tech-21 Trademark-30.

[​IMG]

Thar she blows, in the corner formerly occupied by my Nomad (which I'm now using as a chair of sorts, since mine's down at our kitchen table. :lol:)

30 second review synopsis before we get into some clips (I'll post a full one eventually, I swear :wub:) - a tube amp it ain't, but dial it in right and you'd be hard pressed to complain. For a while I thought it was causing a bit more "ear fatigue" than the Nomad did, and maybe it is - I'll do some lengthy A/B'ing when I get her up and running again. However, I think what it was is this thing's way louder than you'd expect it to be. Also, it doesn't handle medium gain settings as well as the Nomad (understandably) especially if you start muting. However, the lower gain preamp sets with the gain pretty high seem to help it a bit.

Features: preamp - three types, three flavors, and three speaker types - "Tweed" (think Bassman), "Brittish" (Think Marshall), and "California" (Think Recto), then "clean," "high gain," and "hot" - three increasing gain ranges for the gain knob - and then flat, UK, and US, which is, well, flat, bright and scooped, and dark and bassy. Gain, then active bass, mid, and treble (+-12dB in eaqch direction), Level, and Reverb - an Acoustonics or something studio-grade built in reverb tank.

ANYWAY... MP3's are 192kbps so the media player might not work and you might have to download them. Here we have a clip I recorded with Bob in mind - I worked this out on my acoustic one night, and finished recording the demo below then sort of broke into it, and thought it sounded cool enough to start off my clip-story with it. This is the "British" preamp voicing, in "clean," with the gain up maybe 3/4 and the EQ relatively flat, with the speaker set to "flat" and a bit of verb. Just the amp and a SM57 here - theonly post-processing I did was boosting the volume to CD levels.

[media]http://www.drewpeterson.org/tech21/t30pr.mp3[/media]

Then, once you get done rolling in the isles, something a little heavier. Excuse the shitty bass playing and whatnot, I suck. :D

[media]http://www.drewpeterson.org/tech21/tm30.mp3[/media]

Rhythm is Cali, hi-gain with the gain near halfway, and I forget which speaker - this was recorded sunday. Lead is British, I think clean with the gain pretty high, and again I forget which speaker. EQ was probably flat-ish, too - when you can boost or cut 12dB in eithewr direction, it sort of pays off to be conservative. This is probably the first time Chris will actually like my rhythm tone. :wub: Mix is kind of rough, so sorry.

So, now that we've established the Trademark 30 IS, in fact, :metal::

[​IMG]

D-EJ915, ohio_eric, Chris and 2 others like this.
  2. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Sounds pretty good, man.

3. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

:lol: finally, it has entered your house after all the praise you gave it.
    Dig the sound clips :D

4. metalfiend666

metalfiend666 - Forum MVP

I'm really surprised at how good that sounds! Very, very nice. :metal:

5. the.godfather

the.godfather Mr. Flibble

Sounds good from where I'm sitting, very versatile. :metal:

Might have to look into grabbing one of these eventually.

6. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

Sounds good, D!

:lol: For Bob. Some Prince, of course. Too right, mate.

Yep, that's basically the same thing as I've got in my Behringer GMX110. Same preamp settings, same voicings, same speaker settings. Only difference is the Behringer has a dedicated clean channel (which sounds better, IMO, than the "voiced" channels. Real sparkly.) They're nearly the same amp.

Nick (Zimbloth) is always saying how much he likes the 2x12 version. Seems Drew concurs.
    For your money, the Behringer is the same thing, only (probably) cheaper, with more features, and the same tone.

My amp(s) (I also have the big 2x12, 100W stereo version, with 2 "modeling" channels) sounds about the same. But, to be totally honest, I almost never use the preamp. I pretty much use the power amp with the ins only, running either my GNX1 or GNX3000 through it, since the GNXs (especially the 3K) sound better than the preamp on that, in terms of both tone and versatility.

It also has, instead of reverb, a full range of 24-bit effects.

7. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

That's pretty good for just plugging straight into it! I might have to pick one up so I don't have to wait for my Peavey's tubes to warm up every time I want to practice and sound passably decent.

8. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Could ya maybe post smaller pics?

There should be a "no wider than 800 px" rule.

Nice tones... were you going direct, or was it mic'd? There are hints of some nice rhythm "chunk" in your Purple Rain bastardization. I think you've pretty much found my favourite sweet spots from when i tried out the Behringer GM110.

9. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Fuck yes dude, that totally rips! :metal:

10. Chris

Pipe down, M.N.P. :fawk:

:wub:

11. Alpo

Alpo ... Contributor

That sounds really good! Maybe I should pick one up to jam with...

12. The Dark Wolf

JAM WITH ME NOW!

:lol:

Hey, everyone... a heads up.

Tech 21 Trademark 30

• 1 Channel
    • Reverb
    • $300

Behringer GMX110

• Same as above
    • But with 2 channels (one a dedicated clean)
    • Not only reverb, but a full range of great digital effects. Each channel able to have it's own effect.
    • $150

Just a heads up. The GMX110 is basically THE SAME AMP. It has the same 3 preamp "models", the same 3 gain voicings, and the same 3 speaker models.

13. Chris

'Morning Boober. :wub:

14. The Dark Wolf

:lol: Howdy, Mr. Quigley.

I was, strangely enough, thinking of saying "Hi!" as well, thinking, "Hey! He's up early too!"

Great Irish minds think alike. :miniwang:

15. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Actually, another forum i'm on has a script in place that automatically squashes placed images down to a pre-set maximum width, but if you click on them, they open full-size in a new window.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. The Dark Wolf

:lol: Fuckin' Darren. :wub:

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol: That rules, it even looks like you. :lol:

I guess I'll have to flesh out my thumbnail review into a full one at some point now. That can wait for a slow day at work, though. :D

Darren, these are mic'd with a SM57. The direct tone actually isn't half bad, and I should probably record some stuff with the mic and DI running at the same time for a true side-by-side comparison, but the mic definitely sounds better.

Bob - it IS the same amp, more or less. For what I'm using it for though (a practice/jamming amp) I don't need two channels and I use basically no effects anyway. So, it comes down to if you want to give your money to the guys who did the R&D to desgn the preamp, or the ones who reverse-engineered it and sell it for cheaper.For the price, I said fuck it and went with Tech-21. Besides, it's way more attractive. Look at that cute little thing. :wub:

18. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

Not bad at all. It does seem like a good little sitting around practicing amp. Tech 21 builds some very nice stuff and isn't given enough love. :wub:

19. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Does sound a lot like my GMX212 indeed. I use the "British" for everything, on "hot" mode and using the "UK" speaker setting. Love it for leads and rhythm.

Good stuff.

20. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

Nice clips! I especially liked the second one. :metal:

edit

I don't have any idea how or why the rating thing is there. :scratch: :mad: