[Tech] Picstory: Modding a Speaker Cabinet for Speakon Jacks

Discussion in 'The Sevenstring.org Workbench' started by Regor, May 1, 2007.

1. shotgunn

shotgunn SS.org Regular

You could have just used all four conductors on one NL-4 connector. You would have only needed one speakon jack. And you could have kept the original mesa 1/4" jacks as well. You would have to strip more of the outer jacket of your monster cable and just shove the wires through. Obviously not the bare wires. Or you could order some 4 conductor cable on ebay. (big time audio or proaudiomart) (Not my store) (just a good seller I found). Then you could put two 1/4" plugs at the amp end, and the NL-4 at the cab end. Pretty cool, huh? Seems a bit lazy. But, the less stuff to plug in on stage the better, right. Right!!! Try it out. Also, Penn Fabrication makes all of the Neutrik/Speakon mounting plates you'll ever need. The Mesa cabs use the standard size.

I did this in a previous rig of mine. I was using and Left-Mono-Right setup and I got sick of running three separate cables. I used a custom 8 conductor cable from my rack. Which had a custom speakon interface to avoid modding amps. Then I just daisy chained the cabs. But they were all independant channels. I don't have pics and I now use a much smaller setup. (a triaxis)

Forgive me if it seems like I was trying to show you up. I just wanted to offer my experiance as well.

Thanx,

shotgunndunn

2. Regor

Regor Double Edge FTW Contributor

Nah, its cool.

Actually, this mod has been redone just like the original jackplate, so that the L and R are speakon/quarter inch combo jacks now. So if I had a problem with the speakons or someone wanted to borrow my cab or I wanted to run 8ohm mono, I can use a 1/4".

3. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil \m not jesus land m/

Can I please have your dog?

wicked picstory dude, Almost makes me want to do it myself - but A) I have no cab and B)My already non-existant jacks are in perfect working order :lol:

+1 - really interesting :)

4. DaveCarter

DaveCarter Melowiddler

That actually happened to me today!! I must have nudged the Bass knob when I was setting up because when I checked it was up at about 4:00 (I usually have it on 12:00) and despite my Roadster being set to 50 watts and at half volume, a few bars of palm-muted chuggery was enough to push the speaker cable out the back of the socket :lol:

5. Vairocarnal

Vairocarnal ...is something.

Not only was this post entertaining and informative, my day was brightened by the sight of your Malamute. They're mah flavoritist canines EVER!

6. jaksonx

jaksonx String ninja

Thats a great mod!!! I would love to do that 2 my cab, but i dont want to run it stereo like you did. i just want to run 1 chord from my head to my cab. So would i just hook up both sets of speaker wire to 1 speakon connector?

7. Regor

Regor Double Edge FTW Contributor

Not really sure. I'd have to see your cab to be honest. But yeah, basically you can do a mono cab easily enough.

8. jaksonx

jaksonx String ninja

I have a mesa recto standard just like you.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Aha! So THIS is what I should've bought instead of the Neutrik with it's rinky dink small tabs trying to solder 14 AWG to it. :wallbash:

When the Neutrik needs resoldered, I'll just buy a Speakon. Thanks for the thread. :hbang: :yesway:

10. josh pelican

josh pelican Banned

As a bassist, I whole-heartedly approve of Speakon.

This is actually the first time I read through this and it's a fairly simple/amazing modification. Making your own cables rules, too. I've done that a few times!