[Tech] HOW TO: The reversible 18v mod!

Discussion in 'The Sevenstring.org Workbench' started by darren, Sep 6, 2008.

1. DUY1337GUITAR

DUY1337GUITAR Nail Gun!

Did this on my Schecter Damien Elite 7... I followed the exact diagram, everything was perfect, I even triple checked... But the mod killed my pickups. I tried swapping back to 9V, and nothing. :(

2. Purist

Purist The Pure Contributor

The mod DID NOT kill your pickups, you probably did something else to damage them...I suggest that you check your wiring(not the battery harness but the actual pickup circuitry) Several people including myself have done the mod successfully. Check out the dudes post above you, he even tried series and parallel 18v mods. I've also seen people try 27v mods(google it), although it didn't provide substantial results, it DID NOT fry their emg preamps. Please refrain on posting such comments, unless you have reproduced the same results with said mod more the ONCE. The 18v mod is great and i hope your comment doesn't turn people away from it. TRY IT PEOPLE, its GREAT!

3. DUY1337GUITAR

DUY1337GUITAR Nail Gun!

Oh, I wasnt trying to scare ppl away from the mod, I know it's great. I'm not saying the mod doesnt work at all, I'm just saying ppl should be careful, I've found some forum posters saying it happened to them, too.

I know there is nothing wrong with my set up. I bought a new EMG 707 and put it in the bridge position (Guitar Center was doing a $20 off $100 sale). It worked fine, which proves that my previous pickups were actually fried, nothing was wrong with the wiring.

I think what actually happened was that I probably didn't pay attention to the two battery snaps while I was placing the two batteries and the snaps probably touched in reverse polarity. EMGs dont fry at -9V, since they are reverse-polarity protected at that level. -18V will fry it though, EMG said it themselves. So I'm pretty sure I was really unlucky to have the snaps touch in reverse somehow (=__=)

Oh well, I'm just gonna move on, not gonna waste my time brooding on it. But I am happy that I have the EMG 707 in the bridge, I actually LOVE it. Definitely prefer this pickup than the EMG 81-7.

And of course, the 18V is a great mod, definitely a must-try :)

4. maxoom

maxoom Scumbag of the Earth

I was already to try this bought clips and all as I have two EMG guitars but decided I prefer the thicker fuller tone of 9 V.So I just keeping mine as is.That spread out sound is not what most EMG players are after anyway or they would not have EMG`s.

TRENCHLORD likes this.
  5. Jedi Pirate

Jedi Pirate SS.org Regular

I have a small question, I have those 9v battery connectors http://www.industrial-enclosures.com...-Anschluss.JPG , and i was just wondering if i can just cut the wires leading into the battery compartment because it's those small metal plate type of connector for the battery,(or just unsolder them) then just twist on one of the connectors right? and then just work from there

6. Mn3mic

Mn3mic SS.org Regular

Can you guys post some more sound clips? I would really like to hear some differences and improvements in the sound.

It would be great if someone had some before/after sound clips on the same sound setup.

And thx for the great tutorial, I think I'll give this a shot soon...

7. techdeth

techdeth SS.org Regular

So easy and so worth it. Thank you very much.:hbang:

8. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

If you go back to the first page, you'll see that i did post a sound clip in my second or third post.

9. sh4z

sh4z SS.org Regular

Hi Guys,

I have been discussing with a friend of mine about making up a circuit for switching between batteries 9v and 18v.

Essentially the switch will be 4 way with the following options.
    [​IMG]

1. 2 x 9v in Series - 18v mod.
    2. 2 x 9v in Parallel; 9v.
    3. 1st Battery 9v.
    4. 2nd Battery 9v.

Any ideas :lol: :scratch:

10. sh4z

sh4z SS.org Regular

I guess thats a no.

11. stevo1

stevo1 ClearTrack Studios

there is really no point for this. you'll only have two sounds. the 9v regular sound and the 18v sound. having two 9v batteries wired in parallel would only increase battery life, and being able to switch from one battery to another is pretty pointless. i would suggest only wiring two of the option mentioned. the regular 9v only 1 and the 18v series thing. but hey. not my choice.

12. sh4z

sh4z SS.org Regular

Thanks for the input... any idea how to actually wire it up though? I was hoping to get like a schematic or something.

13. stevo1

i really dont know how to wire the 9v and 18v mod to a toggle switch to change whenever. i know someone has done it, but i havent done it myself. i just stick with th 18v mod. feel free to search for it though! it might even be in this thread

14. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

I tried 18v mod and I preferred the 9v sound. Not a huge difference either way, but definetly noticable. The thing is, when I roll the volume back just a TINY bit when in 9v mode, it sounds almost and feels almost like 18v mod with volume max. I do think the toggle option is perfect solution though. Variety is always a great option.

15. Gothical

Gothical SS.org Regular

Just did the 18v mod in my RGA8 with emg 808 and I can safely say that I really prefer the 18v mod. The bass was definitely much more punchier and the highs were more pronounced. By the way Im tuned EBEADGBE so I needed more bass for the E but the pickups didnt seem to handle that too well but now I just couldnt be more happier. Now how the hell do i get rid of the damn buzz :(

16. stevo1

what pickups are you using?

17. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

81/60 combo 9v for me. Although everyone's setup is different, and the string setup(tension/tuning) even makes a difference what will work best.

18. Jaqen

Jaqen SS.org Regular

In my 707 there was a little more dynamics in clean sounds, distortion sounds are already compressed on their own, so the difference is minimal

19. Chris Migdalski

Chris Migdalski SS.org Regular

I have been using an 18Volt mod in my Ibanez RG2228 8 string for about a year now and have been very happy with it actually opening up the characteristics of the EMG's tone but I have an idea.....If I wanted to install a push pull volume knob as a switch to say RUN the 18 volt mod as the knob is normally pushed in and then just 9 volts pulled out ...has anybody tried this seems easy enough...just curious on opinions

20. GnarlesBronson

GnarlesBronson Mayones/Hipshot/Bare Knuckle/MONO/Gravity Picks

Awesome. Doing this at some point this week!