[Tech] How to Program Drums

Discussion in 'The Sevenstring.org Workbench' started by Ryan, Mar 15, 2007.

1. SHRC7

SHRC7 SS.org Regular

I know this guide works for cubase but does it also work for the program that comes with the line 6 ux1?

2. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Anyone know about programming drums in Reaper? I don't have Superior 2.0 yet but I plan on getting it soon with the DKFH, so I figured I would start asking questions now.

3. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Can this work in Audition 3.0? I neither have nor like Cubase.

4. dmlinger

dmlinger SS.org Regular

does anyone know how i can do this same format of programming (click on time grid to place hits for each kit piece) in Pro Tools.

I just got Superior 2 and am running Pro Tools 7.4 LE on OS 10.5.8

thanks

5. Krissægrim

Krissægrim SS.org Regular

Where exactly can I get Cubase sx3? A google search didn't get me very far...

6. signalgrey

signalgrey Ambiente Savante

they are up to cubase 5 thats probably why!

i would recommend logic though.

7. Indigo

Indigo SS.org Regular

with cubase five.. is this similar?

8. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

Same here. I just got the program but would love a headstart from my fellow SS members:hbang:

9. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Awesome thread!

I have EZDrummer and SD 2.0 but at this point I find SD2.0 too difficult still, I can only use it if I use the presets that come with it. Until I learn how to use it and process a drumkit to make it sound the way I want it to, EZDrummer is a good alternative.

10. black_anther

black_anther SS.org Regular

Yes it most certainly does, I used it with Ableton first and then switched to Cubase.

Has anybody worked out how to do cymbal chokes using this method?

The only way I've managed to do it in my recordings is to put the cymbals on a separate audio track and then delete the section of the wave by inserting a silence after the cymbal hit.

11. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

What drums are you using? If cymbal chokes are available, they are usually a different 'drum' (different MIDI key) e.g 55 = splash 56 = splash choke (this is not true)

12. zeal0us

zeal0us InstruMentalHead

Yup.

As far as I understand, to encompass all possible hits you need to (somehow) assign them via a new drum map.

Does anyone know how to change the grid beat divisions for different time signatures? I have a part in 6/4, but if I change the time sig. on the transport bar, the grid divisions still remain 4 per beat. I need 6 divisions per beat.

Is the only way to do this by turning snap off and manually inserting every note approximately?

EDIT: I did it manually anyway... bleh :cond:

13. black_anther

I pre-program all my drum loops in Guitar Pro before I bring them into Cubase. When I drop the midi track in all the time signature and tempo changes are automatically picked up for me.

Thanks for that EtherealEntity, that's helped me a lot. It's confusing cos they weren't labelled correctly in the default drum map (or whatever it's called). I didn't think there'd be an separate note for them because when I program them in guitar pro all I do is put two notes on the cymbal together but with the second one's dynamic set to dead quiet (ppp button). I think the problem is in Cubase or EZDrummer is that it doesn't cancel the previous cymbal hit when two are played in a row. That make sense?

14. Kapee

Kapee ss.org Master

15. FMG

FMG SS.org Regular

I'd like to bring this up again, I've heard tons og guys on this forum discussing how they EQ'd and compressed their snare, but no one has addressed how to separate each drum onto a separate track. HELP!

16. black_anther

The way I do it is using the mixer on the EZDrummer display, there you can select the track you want to put each drum mic on.

If you look at the image below, where it says Trk 1 on the Output line, you can click these and select different tracks.
    [​IMG]

Once that's done (not sure if this is the best way mind), I do an audio mixdown per drum track, if you use this screenshot as a reference (sorry I don't have cubase where I am right now so had to make the best out of Google Images). Where you have the VST Instrument Channels menu you can select the track you want to export. I export it to a WAV and then import as a new audio track and do all my eqing etc on that.
    [​IMG]

17. ManEatSoul

ManEatSoul Sir McTastyPants

Awesome work! Thanks!! :hbang:

18. Mn3mic

Mn3mic SS.org Regular

Too bad I was not aware of this tutorial earlier, I had to google most of this stuff one by one...

Btw, can anyone explain to me when to use a rim tom and when to use a normal tom.
    I use both SSD and AD but I can't figure out what to do with these two.

I mean, when I make a normal tom fill it sounds good but not as aggressive as a rim tom fill, but after a certain speed of the fill it sounds way to "unreal"...

I like the way the toms sound on for ex. Acacia Strains Woodworm, they all sound to me like rim toms, not regular toms (like Rareform by After The Burial).

Anyone have an idea?

19. Ahmet

Ahmet SS.org Regular

Good work!

20. lastninja

lastninja SS.org Regular

I would recommend a) use a free program Stomper Hyperion to make some insane drum samples

b) find or take samples of metal drums (there are actually commercially available sound packs just for metal drums)

c) use an easy program to start like fruity loops, or way better, Ableton live

ableton is a great program for beginners and very quick results. Great for tempo shifts too.